Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 3:00:15 AM EDT
"Everyone knows the World War Two Allied Powers: the United States of America, the United Kingdom, France, Australia, Canada, New Zealand...and Mexico?

That's right, Mexico. In May of 1942, the United States of Mexico declared war on the Axis alliance. They even saw some combat: a Mexican fighter squad fought valiantly in the South Pacific in 1945. But their importance to the Allied effort was much greater than a handful of pilots and airplanes..."

http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/od/thehistoryofmexico/a/09mexicoww2.htm

I started wondering about Mexico's role during WWII and if this article is accurate, I am now pleasantly surprised by our neighbors from the south. Seems every GD thread about Mexico is brimming with distain for them and especially their violent drug cartels, but their nation decided to stand by us in a time of need... I'd never heard about that before. Just consider if Mexico and some of the other Latin American countries had decided to unify with the Axis powers....
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a historian so dont flame me...but didnt Mexico have an agreement with Germany to help invade us if they won the European front?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a historian so dont flame me...but didnt Mexico have an agreement with Germany to help invade us if they won the European front?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Y'all are thinking of the First World War. Mexico declared war on Germany after they sank a number of Mexican Tankers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Y'all are thinking of the First World War. Mexico declared war on Germany after they sank a number of Mexican Tankers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Zimmerman Telegram?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Zimmerman Telegram?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Zimmerman Telegram?

Yup. Mexico was too caught up in its revolution in 1917 to do any substantial fighting against the US.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I stand corrected, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The Unsung Ally
View Quote

Only because the theme-song from the Frito Bandito commercial was deemed racist and derogatory.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
The Zimmerman Telegram was sent from Mexico to North Korea right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and it proved the Mexicans were in secret collusion with Iran against America.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Brazil's contribution to the allied effort was greater than Mexico's and is also often forgotten about. The Allies were comprised of more than just the permanent member of the UN security council.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#11]

A Fuerza Aérea
Expedicionaria Mexicana (FAEM — "Mexican Expeditionary Air Force")
Republic P-47D-30-RA Thunderbolt (USAAF s/n 44-33721) from Escuadrón 201
(201st Squadron) over the Philippines during the summer of 1945. The
squadron was attached to the 58th Fighter Group of the United States
Army Air Forces during the liberation of the main Philippine island of
Luzon, flying 785 sorties in 96 combat missions.

Also Brazilians:

1oGAVCA P-47s carried the "Senta a Pua!" emblem as nose art along with the Brazilian Air Force stars.

Brazilian soldiers greet Italian civilians in the city of Massarosa,(Italy) September 1944.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feel free to elaborate.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The Squadron consisted of 300 men, 30 of which were pilots for the 25 P-47 aircraft that comprised the unit. The squad saw a fair amount of action in the waning months of the war, mostly flying ground support for infantry operations. By all accounts they fought bravely and flew skillfully, seamlessly integrated with the 58th. They only lost one pilot and aircraft in combat.
View Quote

Delaware or Vermont alone put Mexico's entire wartime contribution to shame.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']. Just consider if Mexico and some of the other Latin American countries had decided to unify with the Axis powers....
View Quote

I think if this happened, we wouldn't have any border issues right now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:14:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck 'em, their assistance in the war could have vanished and no one would have noticed.

Hey, did you know Palau sided with us in the war in Iraq? Neither did the Iraqis...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only because the theme-song from the Frito Bandito commercial was deemed racist and derogatory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Unsung Ally

aaay yi yi. yi..
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Squadron consisted of 300 men, 30 of which were pilots for the 25 P-47 aircraft that comprised the unit. The squad saw a fair amount of action in the waning months of the war, mostly flying ground support for infantry operations. By all accounts they fought bravely and flew skillfully, seamlessly integrated with the 58th. They only lost one pilot and aircraft in combat.

They also sent a huge amount of man-power to pick crops on the guest worker program.  Needless to say a bunch stayed on after the war and lots were cheated out oof wages when they were forceably deported. Usual shennanigans for the time.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Does Mexico still have an air force?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They also sent a huge amount of man-power to pick crops on the guest worker program.  Needless to say a bunch stayed on after the war and lots were cheated out oof wages when they were forceably deported. Usual shennanigans for the time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what. Countries at war don't need food pickers.
/sarcasm.

My grandfather was one of the men who fed the war effort. He drove Braseros all over the west from crop to crop.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's one of their prime tools for drug smuggling...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes but that was WWI.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Mexico had five older destroyers.  At the outbreak of WW II, they sent all five to patrol and protect the western coast of The United States of America.  Read about that in The Stillwell Papers.  Thank you Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fuck 'em, their assistance in the war could have vanished and no one would have noticed.

Hey, did you know Palau sided with us in the war in Iraq? Neither did the Iraqis...
View Quote

Stupid statement of the day.

Palau does not have a Military. They rely on the US Military, and Palau citizens can enlist into the US Military.

I have served with/met  3 in my 20 years of service. Considering they only have 20,000 people in the entire country, that's pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh.

I was under the impression their air force was weak.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Denying the Axis powers access to their ports essentially kept the Caribbean an American lake. Logistics is everything. With access to ports in the western hemisphere, they could've devastated Allied shipping.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right after Germany bombed Pearl Harbor

Seriously, there was no agreement.  The Zimmerman Telegram was an offer to Mexico in WW One to open a second front against US with promises of financial support.  Mexican government, not being total idiot, turned it down.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Mexico has a Navy, I don't know about an Air Force. Here are a few pictures of some of the Navy ships that I took when I was in Colima recently.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
[
Mexico has a Navy, I don't know about an Air Force. Here are a few pictures of some of the Navy ships that I took when I was in Colima recently.
View Quote

Weren't you the member that traveled extensively through Mexico earlier this year? Good thread but I can't find it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#29]
My grandfather did more for the war effort than all of Mexico.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
-
Palau does not have a Military. They rely on the US Military, and Palau citizens can enlist into the US Military.

I have served with/met  3 in my 20 years of service. Considering they only have 20,000 people in the entire country, that's pretty damn good.
View Quote

One of my DIs was from Palau.

After graduation, he mentioned to us new Marines that he found out they were paving the road in Palau.  The road.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Weren't you the member that traveled extensively through Mexico earlier this year? Good thread but I can't find it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

archive link for ya
Yep, in all I've spent about 3 months down there this year. I went back again after the sailing trip.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#32]
In respect to Mexico's extraordinary war effort we now need to hand our country over to them, feed and supply medical benefits their citizens, and allow them to turn our own nation into Mexico ' s northern annex.

It's only fair.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In respect to Mexico's extraordinary war effort we now need to hand our country over to them, feed and supply medical benefits their citizens, and allow them to turn our own nation into Mexico ' s northern annex.

It's only fair.
View Quote

I'd prefer we hand things over to Palau.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#34]
|
Quoted:
"Everyone knows the World War Two Allied Powers: the United States of America, the United Kingdom, France, Australia, Canada, New Zealand...and Mexico?

That's right, Mexico. In May of 1942, the United States of Mexico declared war on the Axis alliance. They even saw some combat: a Mexican fighter squad fought valiantly in the South Pacific in 1945. But their importance to the Allied effort was much greater than a handful of pilots and airplanes..."

I started wondering about Mexico's role during WWII and if this article is accurate, I am now pleasantly surprised by our neighbors from the south. Seems every GD thread about Mexico is brimming with distain for them and especially their violent drug cartels, but their nation decided to stand by us in a time of need... I'd never heard about that before. Just consider if Mexico and some of the other Latin American countries had decided to unify with the Axis powers....
View Quote

So is this suppose to make me feel better about the 30 million illegals in this country?  Not helping.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

archive link for ya
Yep, in all I've spent about 3 months down there this year. I went back again after the sailing trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

archive link for ya

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's only fair.
View Quote

Where have you been? That's well underway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So is this suppose to make me feel better about the 30 million illegals in this country?  Not helping.
View Quote

Nope, not at all. I am reading a book about special operations during WWII and was curious about Mexico's involvement. Found out some stuff and started a thread, it's a thread about Mexico in WWII... it isn't about modern US immigration statistics and border defense deficiencies.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
It has been 70 years.

Mexico fucking sucks now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd be curious to read a book that covered how other parts of the world that weren't directly involved in the fighting were affected by the war, like South America, sub-saharan Africa, India and Southwest Asia.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Heres another interesting article with lots of great pictures....
http://www.guntherprienmilitaria.com.mx/articulo27.html

(Its in Spanish so you'll want to google translate it)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top