Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2014 8:33:06 PM EDT
For those of you in business who went all digital, what scanner do you prefer?

I'm 90% digital, but I still get paper receipts and building permits that I would like to scan.

I'd prefer a feed-thru type scanner to a flat-bed, if possible.  Something inexpensive but easy and reliable, I mainly only need the resolution to appease the IRS.

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome back
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry, responded in wrong thread.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged.        

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with this one

Fugi Snapscan

Look carefully at the software included, the others I looked at had propriety software that sucked.
the software is key. the fugi comes with adobe acrobat.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went with this one

Fugi Snapscan

Look carefully at the software included, the others I looked at had propriety software that sucked.

View Quote
I've used the Snapscan at work and it's been a pretty good machine.  A little more than I'm willing to spend for home use though.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh I forgot to mention that I use a Mac.  FWIW, I'd like the file format to be PDF.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went with this one

Fugi Snapscan

View Quote

That looks perfect.  But the price is higher than expected
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For those of you in business who went all digital, what scanner do you prefer?

I'm 90% digital, but I still get paper receipts and building permits that I would like to scan.

I'd prefer a feed-thru type scanner to a flat-bed, if possible.  Something inexpensive but easy and reliable, I mainly only need the resolution to appease the IRS.

Recommendations?
View Quote

The Uniden Home patrol digital scanner seems to work well (so I hear)  but it doesn't use any paper.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with this one

Fugi Snapscan

Again Software is the key, The Fuji comes with Adobe Acrobat (full version)
add that to the price of a cheap scanner and see where you are at on price.
and you are still stuck with crap software.

it just works and it is pretty fast.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the reasons why I started going all digital is because my Mac has the ability to "print" to PDF in the Print dialog box.  Instead of printing out the receipts from online purchases, I would just save them as a PDF.  

I'm just curious why I would need a $150+ program to do the same thing?

As I mentioned, I am not going to be scanning pictures or high res stuff, I just need a copy in case the IRS ever comes knocking
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Cant help you there., I do not speak apple

Scanner software should handle the conversion to PDF,  otherwise if you are scanning then converting
you are touching each doc at least twice.  What is your time worth?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought one of these a couple of years ago.  Works great for me.  

I scan and print probably 2000-3000 pages/year.  Laser cartridges are ~$25 on ebay.  

www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-MFC7860DW-Wireless-Monochrome/dp/B004QM99JG

When I have a stack of documents to scan, I just drop them in, start it (with the software from my laptop), and it feeds/scans them into one PDF file on my laptop.  For one document, I just put it on the glass and start it.  

I can change the resolution (I use 600DPI default), and from black/white to color.  Occasionally I'll use it to scan a color photo.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cant help you there., I do not speak apple

Scanner software should handle the conversion to PDF,  otherwise if you are scanning then converting
you are touching each doc at least twice.  What is your time worth?
View Quote

I appreciate your help and I am not trying to be argumentative.  I'm just curious why it would be better to get a $450 scanner with a $150 software suite built in when I see such great reviews for $82 scanners (hardware and software combined)?

Is paying extra money to get Adobe Acrobat going to make a real world difference when scanning my Home Depot receipts and supply house invoices?  EDIT:  That sounds like a wise ass statement but that is not the way it was intended.  I'll pay the extra money if it will give me benefits.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought one of these a couple of years ago.  Works great for me.  
I scan and print probably 2000-3000 pages/year.  Laser cartridges are ~$25 on ebay.  
www.amazon.com/Brother-Printer-MFC7860DW-Wireless-Monochrome/dp/B004QM99JG
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4180GunFMUL._SX425_.jpg
When I have a stack of documents to scan, I just drop them in, start it (with the software from my laptop), and it feeds/scans them into one PDF file on my laptop.  For one document, I just put it on the glass and start it.  
I can change the resolution (I use 600DPI default), and from black/white to color.  Occasionally I'll use it to scan a color photo.  
View Quote

My current printer is that one's little brother.  It's just a basic B&W laser printer that I bought for $99.  Wireless built in and it prints on both sides, it's been bullet proof.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a brother MFC that scans and prints 11x17 because I needed it for electrical and mechanical drawings. It has been lugged from job shack to job shack and performs like a rockstar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Fujitsu Scansnap ix500 have about 20 of them around the office for scanning huge amounts of paperwork.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I have had very good luck with my Visioneer Strobe 500 which I bought when it first came-out in 2010; I have all personal docs/receipts in PDF and use it every day, though I'm not sure how it would stand-up to business use. It is really marketed as a portable scanner though I do not use it that way.

In any case that it worked with PaperPort was a key factor for me because I've been using that for some 20 years now (since inception).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top