Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 4:29:16 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/11/24/gps-study-tracks-grizzlies-as-follow-hunters/

This GPS system is a real bear.

Eight Montana grizzly bears have been outfitted with GPS trackers in an ongoing study that could bring some unnerving news to hunters.

The study is aimed at bolstering the theory that grizzlies, which can be as stealthy as they are ferocious, stalk hunters from as close as the length of a football field in order to steal their prey. Already, data has shown at least one grizzly following oblivious elk hunters almost from the moment they left the parking lot, according to the Billings Gazette. Scientists believe the bear may have been following the humans in hopes of getting to a fallen elk before they did.

"Bears opportunistically scavenge carcasses throughout the active season and commonly usurp kills of other predators, such as cougars and, since their reintroduction in 1995, gray wolves,” stated a report last year by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team. “Remains left by hunters also provide grizzly bears with meat, and bears are attracted to areas outside of national parks when these remains become available during the fall.”
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody ever accused them of being dumb.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Bears are probably smarter than the average human

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yogi and Boo-Boo are some cunning creatures...

It's all about the pick-a-nick baskets.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

at least not to their face and lived to tell...
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome.  Read it to my wife.  This ought be good for another handgun.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
que the" clever girl" pic.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM9YOYrcbs

View Quote

Oh my GOD!  That is so damn funny!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Hai, hunters.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I'm told, gunshots are pretty much dinnerbells for the bears in the Big Horns of Wyo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loved when he stood up and started tapping it and backing up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I did a fly-n-fish in Canada years ago, pretty remote, and the bears would shadow us on shore, knowing we were likely bringing fish back. Certainly makes sense some see hunters and do the "got some food" math...or figure, if nothing else, eat the hunters.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Bears ARE hunters.
I don't know what you call the humans in this story.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From what I'm told, gunshots are pretty much dinnerbells for the bears in the Big Horns of Wyo.  
View Quote

Same thing around here in PA.  The black bears will usually wait for you to gut the deer, but some will make a lot of noise trying to scare hunters off from a kill so they can get more than just the gut pile.

I imagine that someone quartering an elk leaves a bigger meal for the bears than someone gutting a whitetail, though.  So the grizzlies might have learned that simply being in position to be the first bear to the carcass is what's important, not spooking the hunters off their kills.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This GPS system is a real bear.

"Bears opportunistically scavenge carcasses throughout the active season and commonly usurp kills of other predators, such as cougars and, since their reintroduction in 1995, gray wolves,” stated a report last year by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team. “Remains left by hunters also provide grizzly bears with meat, and bears are attracted to areas outside of national parks when these remains become available during the fall.”
View Quote

The part in bold is a pretty good description. We're just predators with thin skins, self-awareness, and opposable thumbs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The Animal Kingdom is filled with FSA OGers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a bit unnerving seeing griz tracks on top of yours walking in the snow.....BTDT

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yogi and Boo-Boo are some cunning creatures...

It's all about the pick-a-nick baskets.
View Quote

"Smarter than the average bear!"
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#19]
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully the bears didn't see the thread about the fur seals.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn that is awesome.  Freaking smart as hell
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all of them.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=4047

Probably a tweaker trying to steal some copper.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a bit unnerving seeing griz tracks on top of yours walking in the snow.....BTDT

View Quote

Yeah, and all the bullshit advice about making noise to scare 'em off is just bullshit. I de-scent, move quietly, and keep my head on a motorized swivel. So far it's worked for me but it still keeps me on edge. I hate moving in the dark. Makes the neck hair crawl.

ETA I was talking to a wildlife biologist and they started finding their culvert traps had been compromised. The bait chunk of deer was gone, and the door had dropped but there was no bear inside. They started setting them up with game cameras trained on the traps. What they found was the bears had learned to get in the trap, stick a rear leg straight back to keep the door from fully dropping, grab the meat, and shimmy backwards back out under the door.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bears ARE hunters.  I don't know what you call the humans in this story.
View Quote

Uhhh.... ; Weevils in the bisuit ?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can almost see the gears turning in that bears head. I LOL'd.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, and all the bullshit advice about making noise to scare 'em off is just bullshit. I de-scent, move quietly, and keep my head on a motorized swivel. So far it's worked for me but it still keeps me on edge. I hate moving in the dark. Makes the neck hair crawl.

ETA I was talking to a wildlife biologist and they started finding their culvert traps had been compromised. The bait chunk of deer was gone, and the door had dropped but there was no bear inside. They started setting them up with game cameras trained on the traps. What they found was the bears had learned to get in the trap, stick a rear leg straight back to keep the door from fully dropping, grab the meat, and shimmy backwards back out under the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I can think of is...Planet of the Bears.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that bear was smarter than me he would have just turned the fencer off right off the bat.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#29]
You have to be able to 2+2=4 when scavenging is a big part of your diet.

After a while, the animal that has this smell, looks like this, makes these sounds, kills those creatures and usually leaves behind some of it. Well, if I'm really quiet I can get pretty close.

Option 1. These mofos never even see me and I can eat what they leave, very little work involved just be quiet.

Option 2. These mofos be all up in my house, I aint standing for that, even if they do make it easier to get food.

Nothing really special, just humans typically forget why we are the dominant species. It isn't because of physical toughness, and that's why people get freaked out by what comes natural to wildlife.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Pretty smart.

I mean, if the elk doesn't pan out, the hunters should be pretty tasty in a pinch.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#31]
No... Just no....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't that the damn truth
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

No... Just no....

http://youtu.be/0cfBVCNGMAg
View Quote
Anyone else notice the shotgun next to the bear?  The bear is like "go ahead and grab it, I dare you."

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No... Just no....
http://youtu.be/0cfBVCNGMAg
View Quote

Nope, hmm mm, nopity nope nope no.

Fiucking mag dump while screaming like a bitch.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#35]
So what you're saying is, if I have an elk tag, I don't need a grizzly tag.  Neat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top