Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2001 11:07:34 PM EDT
It's a big stretch actually, but here's my reason:

I'm about to install a Jewell trigger in my Colt post-ban 20", and I realize I need the large-pin version.  I was going to order, send off to a pro. for a few bucks plus the FFL fees, and have it come back as a new-and-improved lower.  Problem:  once I get my new AR15 next year (a TRUE competition upper), that Jewell 2-stage is not going to transfer over b/c of the pin configuration.  I want to have a Jewell that I can use now, but transfer over to my new rifle and put my old factory back IN my Colt and use as my hunting/plinker rifle.

Possibility:  Buy a LEGP, keep the RRA Lower, and sell the upper and the buttstock, and put the Jewell on my new RRA lower receiever.  Pop the new lower on my colt upper, swap out with new upper next year and put my factory Colt lower back on the factory Colt upper.  That being said, I CANNOT AFFORD the complete LEGP rifle, but what I can afford is the lower after selling the other equipment.  I can easily burrow a few hundred from my father from this purpose, but this is what I need --

HOW, WHERE, WHO, and FOR HOW MUCH do I sell the other equipment for?  I would love to sell to some of you AR.com guys, for the sheer fact that I would sell the already low priced equipment even lower, just so I can get it off my hands and pay back my "debt", and I know and trust a lot of you.  Besides, this is the best place to be if I'm going to handle the transaction, so what do you guys think?  If I buy one of these, do you see my selling of parts in the cards?  I would love to get away with paying about $200 for the new lower...I'd be supporting the site (and G&B), having the AR15.com print which I would absolutely adore, and pay a reasonable price for a non-stripped receiver.

If I can get away with this, you can put me down on the "YES" list...Thanks so much guys.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's my rundown I suppose:

Lower Receiver:  $200
Buttstock and that side-sling swivel:  $60
Complete Upper (bolt, barrel, and all):  ???

How much is this thing really worth, $400 or so?
I REALLY want this lower receiver, simply because of the quality, the low cost, the logo, and the fact that I can probably pop that baby on any upper receiver that I want w/o any type of problem.  I'm so very close to doing this...

Jew~
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, Here goes:

I think a complete lower might be worth more like $250, although maybe less since you'll need a different buffer, spring, and tube for a standard stock. You're probably pretty close here. The stock with tube and buffer/spring are worth the $60 alone. Figure another 20-25 bux for the for the side sling adapter and 15 or so for the sling (in the interest of a quick and reliable sale). You could also hang on to the bolt and carrier to save money down the road. I think you could easily get $350 or so for the upper minus the bolt group since it's new.

Overall, it sound like it might work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Go for it.   You might end up liking the RRA so much you decide to keep it.

Grin
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Keeping the LEGP is not an option;  even if I fall in love with it, I will still sell the unneeded equipment because I will have a debt to pay off.  The money I make now at my part-time job mostly goes into food and bills, and with final exams and a new summer semester of school coming up, the money will absolutely NOT be coming in.

So tell me, if you could, how I go about selling the upper and stock, to where people will bite and buy them.

Jew~

P.S.  As far as the spring/tube/buffer goes, will my standard A2 buttstock that is on my colt now not fit on the RRA lower?  I just assumed I could slip out the buffer and spring, remove the buttstock from the tube, and pop the new spring/buffer into the RRA tube and slip the butt right back on.  
So...CAR-15 stocks have not only a different tube, but a different buffer/spring as well?  I suppose I could keep the A2 buttstock, spring, and buffer that I have now and use on the RRA, but how much would a new standard A2 tube cost?  (Also, how do you install/remove a tube...i've twisted the unholy hell out of mine, but it doesn't want to budge).

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
^^BTT^^
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So tell me, if you could, how I go about selling the upper and stock, to where people will bite and buy them.

Jew~

P.S.  As far as the spring/tube/buffer goes, will my standard A2 buttstock that is on my colt now not fit on the RRA lower?  I just assumed I could slip out the buffer and spring, remove the buttstock from the tube, and pop the new spring/buffer into the RRA tube and slip the butt right back on.  
So...CAR-15 stocks have not only a different tube, but a different buffer/spring as well?  I suppose I could keep the A2 buttstock, spring, and buffer that I have now and use on the RRA, but how much would a new standard A2 tube cost?  (Also, how do you install/remove a tube...i've twisted the unholy hell out of mine, but it doesn't want to budge).
View Quote

Selling it will be as simple as bouncing over to the 'Equipment Exchange' forum right here at AR15.com.  A CAR stock and A1/A2 stock are completely different.  Just remove the whole stock assy. and sell it or simply trade it for a complete A2 stock.  As for the upper, I recommend selling it complete w/bolt assy. & ch. handle for say $435 delivered (I think this would be a good price and should sell quick).  If you don't want the side sling adapter sell it for $20-25.  Deducting $10 for s/h, and if you don't count selling or trading the stock then that would leave you with $210 in the lower w/the 10rd. teflon mag ($15 value).

When you get the rifle look me up, I'll help you w/ disassembly and posting stuff for sale.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#7]
And as for the buffer tube on your gun, you're using a crescent wrench on the end correct?  When you look in from the front of the lower do you see any blue looking residue on those threads?  Someone may have used Loctite on it to prevent it from loosening.
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
ahh, good ol' Loctite:  I think some foreign nations use this stuff to seal up nuclear warheads from leaking [:P].  But no, no blue sealant on them, I think I just did not attempt to disassemble correctly, was all.

I heard that the deadline for the $660 price would be at the end of May.  I hope this still is the case; by this time, I should have a little bit more money coming in, and might not have to repay so much money back.  After getting my new car yesterday, I'm not sure if this is going to be possible, but if it IS possible, then be damned well sure that I will go in for this deal.  Thanks GB and Kevin.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After getting my new car yesterday, I'm not sure if this is going to be possible, but if it IS possible, then be damned well sure that I will go in for this deal.
View Quote

Well... if for a year you could coast to a stop at every stop sign, take off slow and easy, never drive faster than the speed limit, get off the gas everytime you go down hill and have survived all the enraged drivers then you would save money on gas which could go towards what you spent on the rifle.

Or... drink water instead of cold drinks, don't buy the kids meal at the fast food joints (we all know you collect the McDonalds toys), ask for extra napkins and ketchup (AAAHHH Ketchup, my favorite thing!!!) don't rent crappy movies from Blockbuster,  use cheap toilet paper, etc., etc., etc.  You'll be saving even more money.

And for the biggest savings of money - no more drinking, smoking or sex!!!  All those things will cost you $$$ big time!  Sex - If your married she'll expect something nice that night (or week).  If your dating then it'll be dinner, movie and some new 'in the mood' music.  And if you're neither married or dating then it'll really cost you!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2001 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Kevin@AR15com_1&2:
Quoted:
After getting my new car yesterday, I'm not sure if this is going to be possible, but if it IS possible, then be damned well sure that I will go in for this deal.
View Quote

Well... if for a year you could coast to a stop at every stop sign, take off slow and easy, never drive faster than the speed limit, get off the gas everytime you go down hill and have survived all the enraged drivers then you would save money on gas which could go towards what you spent on the rifle.

Or... drink water instead of cold drinks, don't buy the kids meal at the fast food joints (we all know you collect the McDonalds toys), ask for extra napkins and ketchup (AAAHHH Ketchup, my favorite thing!!!) don't rent crappy movies from Blockbuster,  use cheap toilet paper, etc., etc., etc.  You'll be saving even more money.

And for the biggest savings of money - no more drinking, smoking or sex!!!  All those things will cost you $$$ big time!  Sex - If your married she'll expect something nice that night (or week).  If your dating then it'll be dinner, movie and some new 'in the mood' music.  And if you're neither married or dating then it'll really cost you!!
View Quote

Truer words have never been spoken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top