Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/22/2014 6:34:46 PM EDT
I'm putting this in GD instead of hometown because there are probably quite a few people who have lived there but no longer do because of the AFB.

I might have a job opportunity there. It's a break into the field type of job which is why I'm actually considering it. It's not with the base so I wouldn't have access to base facilities.

So tell me, for an active, single young guy, does it suck as much as I'm imagining or is there actually stuff to do?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a cucv blazer that came out of there, once upon a time.

It had an electric engine block heater installed on it.   That, to me, is a bad sign.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not Minot?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope you like penis shrinking cold and wind!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not Minot?
View Quote

Freezin's the reason.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a bustling metropolis full of socialites compared to the rest of the oilfield up here, with the possible exception of Dickinson. Both are college towns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds cold.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to work with a guy who told me he used to wake up in the middle of the night, when he was in the Air Force, having nightmares about being transferred there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a garden spot.  It has to be, they only put Air Force bases in beautiful locations.  That's what my recruiter told me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have heard that they sometimes don't have Hot Cocoa.
View Quote

That's right there! They ALWAYS have Hot Cocoa!!!
It's like a Golf Course, immediate priority.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear they get snow, wind and below freezing temps every now and then
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It absolutely positively sucks.
The only reason I was there was because my employer sent me there to "live". We drove every day to either Crosby or Williston where we worked… and drove back.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Never been there but I have no desire being way below 0 degree wind chills. I have seen pictures from friends in williston. No desire to be outside of something climate controlled there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]

there's basically 2 seasons:

spring/summer/fall season

& drinking season

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
We sent a crew up to Minot back in January. They confirmed that it did suck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]

I lived there when I was young. This picture sums up my memories of that time:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in ND, then moved to Shitcago area for 20 some years, and now just recently I am in TX.  I've had enough winter and that was in Fargo which at least has some things to do unlike Minot.  

Until you get used to it, winter will rape you right down to your balls and anus.  Oh, and I didn't mention that you never get used to it.  It just kills you a a little less everyday after a while.

No, I lie, it fucking sucks and kills you every day.  On the bright side, 20 degrees positive is shorts weather after your bake in period.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Never been there but I have no desire being way below 0 degree wind chills. I have seen pictures from friends in williston. No desire to be outside of something climate controlled there.
View Quote
You are lucky if the wind chills are 0.  Try day after day of 30 below ACTUAL, before you even add on wind chill.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/NorthDakota_zps8fa03540.jpg      
View Quote

Meh. Could be anywhere in the midwest in January.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you like to fish?  Hunt?  Shoot?  Do you like to ice skate?

We lived there (Minot AFB) for 3 years from 1967 to 1970.

I was a kid.  I liked it a lot.

Jack rabbits in the fields, cotton tails in the brush.  Up there jack rabbits taste just like cottontails (in TX they taste like shit so we only shot a couple when we lived at Laughlin AFB).

Ring necks out west, southwest of Minot.

Sharptail grouse, Hungarian partridge all around Minot.  Neat thing is, up there they fly in a straight line.

Ducks and geese.  So many that they land in the water filled ditches on the side of the roads.  They land in the water filled "slews" in the middle of the fields.

Big deer.  Really big deer.

Fishing is great.  Small mouth bass, Northern Pike, perch.  Lake Darling, Souris River.  The pike are huge.

As a kid, I loved it.  Best hunting/fishing of any place we lived other than Michigan.

Block heaters?  Yep, even on the gas engine cars/trucks.  Windchills in the winter that'll kill you if you aren't smart enough to stay inside.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/KingRat_photos/NorthDakota_zps8fa03540.jpg      

Which is why people are leaving the midwest in droves.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy nailed it.

Don't fucking fo OP.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I just left in July. I was there because of the AFB for 2 years. I was also, a young, active single guy.

That place sucks. The girls think they're hot shit. The dudes think they're the baddest guys around.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I grew up in ND, then moved to Shitcago area for 20 some years, and now just recently I am in TX.  I've had enough winter and that was in Fargo which at least has some things to do unlike Minot.  

Until you get used to it, winter will rape you right down to your balls and anus.  Oh, and I didn't mention that you never get used to it.  It just kills you a a little less everyday after a while.

No, I lie, it fucking sucks and kills you every day.  On the bright side, 20 degrees positive is shorts weather after your bake in period.

View Quote

This man speaks the truth. I have lived in fargo for six years now, I want nothing to do with Minot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#27]
If the only thing you like to do is sit in a room and jerkoff... Minot is for you!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]
It will slowly suck the life from you.....I lived there for a year and a half......

due to the last flood, and influx of oilfield workers (who are mostly not "assets" to the community), there is no such thing as affordable housing......."fine dining" is Buffalo Wild Wings,  and since I've never enjoyed either hunting or fishing, about all there was to do was either stagger around the mall, or drink-to-passout.....

and then there's this.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hate just flying there to drop people off lol
View Quote

Does the airport suck too?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate just flying there to drop people off lol

They have expanded it to 3 gates......flights in and out of there are insanely expensive.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It will slowly suck the life from you.....I lived there for a year and a half......

due to the last flood, and influx of oilfield workers (who are mostly not "assets" to the community), there is no such thing as affordable housing......."fine dining" is Buffalo Wild Wings,  and since I've never enjoyed either hunting or fishing, about all there was to do was either stagger around the mall, or drink-to-passout.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/734838_10152436770600246_1493289365_n.jpg
View Quote

FUCK THAT!

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm putting this in GD instead of hometown because there are probably quite a few people who have lived there but no longer do because of the AFB.

I might have a job opportunity there. It's a break into the field type of job which is why I'm actually considering it. It's not with the base so I wouldn't have access to base facilities.

So tell me, for an active, single young guy, does it suck as much as I'm imagining or is there actually stuff to do?
View Quote

It is really fuckin cold but close to NDU which is a great school full of hotties.

do you hunt? if you say no then don't go.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

that should be the back of the ND QUARTER
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Picture is BS

The wind blows WAY too hard for snow to stack that deep more than 4 feet from your front door.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You are lucky if the wind chills are 0.  Try day after day of 30 below ACTUAL, before you even add on wind chill.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DING! WINNER!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#36]
The AF moved me to Minot in 05.  Instead of moving again I retired and stayed in Minot so my kids could finish high school.

The winter sucks, but it eventually ends.  The people are friendly, and crime is low.  Although it has increaased a lot in the last few years.

I can't tell you about single life, but a few new bars/clubs/brewery have opened recently.

Housing has become very pricey.  New apartment complexes and condos everywhere, so rent may have gone down.

I love it here except for the winter, but I can deal with it.

Feee free to IM me if you want to ask more specific questions.

Gun laws are good, better if you have a CC permit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/734838_10152436770600246_1493289365_n.jpg
View Quote

What are all those minus signs before the temp?  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's probably celsius. They may as well be Canadian anyway...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, you guys have certainly talked me out of moving there
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't there a university in Minot?  There might be some youth oriented activities in association with that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Lots of imitation crabmeat and Spam at the restaurants.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I used to live in ND.
Find the geographic center of the state and start walking - that way no matter what direction you go you are leaving.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice people,great hunting.i like NoDak alot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It is really fuckin cold but close to NDU which is a great school full of hotties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't but I'd love to try it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#46]
ND is full. The cold weather does a great job of keeping the population in check.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why not Minot?
View Quote

Freezin's the reason

AF guys view Minot as Hell.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ND is full. The cold weather does a great job of keeping the population in check.
View Quote

They seem like a welcoming bunch
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a tad confused at what he's protecting from outsiders.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
It damn sure ran me off!!!!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top