Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2001 1:28:00 PM EDT
Well there wasn`t enough space in the subject bar.
Anyway my local range has scheduled matches which are comprised of pre and post Korean war military rifles.
My M4gery will be used in the post Korean match but I also want to participate in the pre Korean war match.
I have been looking at some different rifles to use,namely the Swedish mauser,the finnish M39 and the British Enfield No.4 mk1
All these rifles have a reputation for accuracy and all are in stock locally at a reasonable price(less than $200).
I will be hand loading for this rifle and plan on spending a great deal of time doing load development.
The rifles should be left stock but can be modified as to the trigger and possibly stock bedding as long as it doesn`t apper to have been modified from external inspection.
What would you chose?
Why?
Bossman
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
British Enfield No. 4 Mark II (or I)

It is reputed as the most accurate military issue rifle EVER. PERIOD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Bossman,
Go with the Swede,Lots of choices in bullet weight, brass readily available, low recoil,lots of load data also available, I own both  The .303 is no slouch in the accuracy dept,But reloadable 6.5 brass is alot easier to find,not to mention that alot of .303's have a rather "generous" chamber, so if you FL resize your cases may not last long,(I guess you could neck-size) Go with the swede! you won't be sorry!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest either a Swedish Mauser or a M39
rifle, those have proven to be accurate by our experiences, dont have any experience with Lee Enfields though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote would be for the Mauser 98. The Canadian Ross was very accurate, but I wouldn't recommend shooting one.

I'm not sure how the Lee Enfield got a rep for good accuracy. It had serious bedding problems, which were neverly completely solved, and the rear locking lugs result in a lot of harmonics.

After WW1, it was said that the Mauser 98 was the best hunting rifle, the 1903 Springfield was the best target rifle, and the Lee Enfield was the best battle rifle. I believe the above assesment is accurate, but I believe the 98 had the highest potential accuracy, but that the Springfield's sights were better suited to target shooting.

I know that between the World Wars, the US tested the 1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, and .30-06 Mosin Nagants for accuracy. Of the three, the Springfield came in first, the Enfield second, and the M-N last. However, the Enfield and M-N may have been hampered by oversize bores.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I read that same quote I think in Guns & Ammo Surplus Firearms) its a great one.

Notice they do not mention the Mossin Nagant at all.
I have 3 of the four...( gotta get a 1903 some time)
I find the bolt of my 1891 mossy to be a piece of crap.  The sights are a joke..

The Enfield would be my choice ( and not just because I am Canadian).  It has the fastest bolt throw of any bolt action rifle.  More importantly it has the best sights.  All the others have rear notch sights.  The No4 comes with a rear adjustable peep sight!!  For me at least it is much easier to get good hits with this sort of sight.
If you are in a competition involving any sort of speed tests....YOU HAVE 10 ROUNDS!!! You will only have to load half as much.  Then you can still use stipper clips like the others.

The post WW1 tests did not pit the No 4 model only the No3.  The No4 was the pinacle of Enfield development. DO NOT GET A No 5 they are famous for wandering zeros.  Mind you they do look cool.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top