Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2014 11:13:15 AM EDT
I found me some good fitting lightweight uninsulated hunting boots and wore them for the first time Saturday for opening day of archery season.   I'd been all excited about these boots from the first moment I slid my feet into them, so I put my feet to the fire right away, with an arduous hike through thick, nasty woods, backpacking my climbing deer stand and other gear to a tough to reach hunting spot deep in the woods.

Although almost passing out a few times along the way because I've been sitting on my ass reading Arfcom for the past year, and sweating so much it was dripping off the visor of my hat, my feet never felt better.   I hunted all day long, moved a couple more times, and my body was tired to the bone, but my feet were still springtime fresh, ready to keep hiking all night long.

I was a believer in the importance of good footwear before, but now I'm a firm believer in the importance of good footwear.

Do it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, what are these magical footwear devices?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 waiting for the brand
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
why would you not include a brand OP?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't want to muddle the message.  Footwear can be a personal thing since we all have differently shaped feet.  What fits me well may not fit others well.

The importance in my message is to find a good fitting, quality made pair.   It makes all the difference in the world in how well you enjoy the day.

I hope you all noticed the word "lightweight" too.  These boots are just a hair over 2 lbs.  It's almost like wearing sneakers with the protection of a boot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quality foodwear and a good fit are essential.  

What kind of boots?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I didn't want to muddle the message.  Footwear can be a personal thing since we all have differently shaped feet.  What fits me well may not fit others well.

The importance in my message is to find a good fitting, quality made pair.   It makes all the difference in the world in how well you enjoy the day.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hes lying give us the name of these magical feet devices!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Finally bought some Danners, huh?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hope you all noticed the word "lightweight" too.  These boots are just a hair over 2 lbs.  It's almost like wearing sneakers with the protection of a boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you come home with a deer?

That's the part I am waiting for. I'll save time for  a walk in the woods novel later.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Danners are made for women and men with women feet. Way to skinny.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
This thread is vital to my interests. Spill the beans, OP!

6 hours and 1,700 vertical feet into the day's elk pursuit climb 2 weeks ago THIS happened to my ACG I-thought-these-were-good-boots boots (nike).

I NEED NEW BOOTS.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Amen brother!  I work in a perishable food distribution center.  I spent $ on some insulated comp toe boots by Keen.  Other guys bitch about cold feet and always try to leave as early as possible, while I stay till the work is done and rack up the OT.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I was a believer in the importance of good footwear before, but now I'm a firm believer in the importance of good footwear.

Do it.
View Quote

I have six pairs of Lowa boots.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dick you come home with a deer?

That's the part I am waiting for. I'll save time for  a walk in the woods novel later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dick you come home with a deer?

No, I didn't get to shoot at any.   Around 10 am, I was up in my stand, woke up from a nap and cleared my throat, then heard something behind me.  It was a yearling buck running off that had snuck in about 20 yards behind me while I was napping.   It think he had been napping too.

Then in the afternoon, I was walking down a trail thinking about where I wanted to head off into the woods, and a big toad hopped out in front of me.  The toad was pointing to the left, so I took that as a sign and entered the woods there.  The toad pointed me to a real nice spot where I immediately jumped another yearling buck and later saw a couple hen turkeys clucking around.   Ended up seeing the hens twice throughout the course of the day, but not good enough to take a shot.   Then I fell asleep again, was awakened by noise, opened my eyes, and it was a doe was trotting right up to my tree with three small ones in tow.   When the doe got below me it froze, looked up, saw me there, and high tailed it with the little ones back the way they came.

The defining moment of the day was when it got dark.  I decided it was time to start getting down from the tree.  As I was preparing to climb down, I made a clank on the tree stand.  Next thing I know a big deer about 30 yards behind me bolted.  He laid out flat, and flew through the woods like a deer does about 2 feet off the ground.   It was dark, but I could tell it was a buck by the mass of the body and the big old tail flipped up.  He was making that thunderous nasally sound like a horse with each gallop.   I love moments like that almost as much as bagging one, especially since my feet felt so good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
OP is trolling us.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got all mine (Light2, Mountain Light2, and Desert Acadia) in the EE size and they're perfect for my medium width foot.  I doubt anyone with really wide feet could be comfortable in them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]
any infantryman worth anything will tell you the key to a good life is good boots and dry socks (~)
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I am on my feet all day at work and I'm a runner. Footwear is one of the few things I splurge on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

6 hours and 1,700 vertical feet into the day's elk pursuit climb 2 weeks ago THIS happened to my ACG I-thought-these-were-good-boots boots (nike).

I NEED NEW BOOTS.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb169/airsix_photo/misc/IMAG0318_zps9kibawwy.jpg
View Quote

Just good marketing. Had a pair of mid Nike ACGs waaaay back when that particular line was fairly new. Nothing more than glorified street sneaks then and apparently nothing has changed. I make a living on my feet, having to walk for miles on what amounts to little more than rocky goat trails and I've fell in love with Merrill hikers. I flat out abuse footwear simply because it's the nature of my trade. I've gone through many different brands of footwear till I tried Merrell. On my second pair in as many years; 1st pair were Moabs, 2nd and latest are Sawtooths. Still have the Moabs as backup.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I could really use some quality lightweight hunting boots.

It's too bad the OP fucking sucks and won't tells us what damn boots he has.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.

+1.  I wear LOWA's everyday to work.   They are at least 3 years old and still shine up like a new pair.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just good marketing. Had a pair of mid Nike ACGs waaaay back when that particular line was fairly new. Nothing more than glorified street sneaks then and apparently nothing has changed. I make a living on my feet, having to walk for miles on what amounts to little more than rocky goat trails and I've fell in love with Merrill hikers. I flat out abuse footwear simply because it's the nature of my trade. I've gone through many different brands of footwear till I tried Merrell. On my second pair in as many years; 1st pair were Moabs, 2nd and latest are Sawtooths. Still have the Moabs as backup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I NEED NEW BOOTS.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb169/airsix_photo/misc/IMAG0318_zps9kibawwy.jpg

I'm on my Nth pair of Merrills... love 'em
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
+1.  I wear LOWA's everyday to work.   They are at least 3 years old and still shine up like a new pair.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it.

And five pairs of Asolos

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I NEED NEW BOOTS.

View Quote

Where did you get that multicam?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

wow.  

we are all in this together bud...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Now you have to get proper socks.

http://www.amazon.com/Wigwam-Mens-Hiking-Outdoor-Length/dp/B000TFBO8S/ref=pd_sim_a_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G4034ZDZJNGKS8X6HJG

These are one of these best but they are always out of stock so you have to wait for them to come back in stock they sell out fast.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FHELT2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XJEXXLQ59NYG&coliid=I29LVLE1FW9OJK
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#27]
True! I am addicted to the Merrell Chameleon Stretch it all I wear nowadays. Look funny with a suit though
Happy Feet
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Crocs boots.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. I read title and post thinking I might go check out whatever OP was wearing regardless of expensive or el'cheapo price. Instead we'll just have to be happy that OP finally has a nice pair of boots, that way her feeling wont get hurt when the haters say she bought inferior boots.

In other news...free dildos are free.

edit: forgot my smiley

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it.

I just discovered Lowa's this year and I love the damn things.  I bought a pair of the mid height(6" I think) desert boots for my last trip overseas and I now use them as my hiking, bumming around boots.  They are great.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Shoes do make all the difference. I got a new pair of running shoes on Saturday and went for a run Sunday when the weather cleared up.  Amamzing the difference between 6-9 month old running shoes and new ones.

(I know fitness is taboo to most of arfcom )

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep, Lowa. Love em.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shoes do make all the difference. I got a new pair of running shoes on Saturday and went for a run Sunday when the weather cleared up.  Amamzing the difference between 6-9 month old running shoes and new ones.

(I know fitness is taboo to most of arfcom )

View Quote

I am overdue for some new running shoes myself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
If my feet aren't happy I'm not happy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have huge wide feet and they fit me fine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Do not scrimp on $$$$ when buying shoes
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I NEED NEW BOOTS.

View Quote

I have these in black olive and I love them.  Only had them for a year, so that's experience with them, but they're awesome so far.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/targhee-ii-mid
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm a bargain shopper for most things, but I'll happily pay full price for good shoes or boots.
If your feet aren't happy, you're not happy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]
After having broken arches in both feet, numerous broken bones in both feet, and 9 or 10 foot surgeries, I can agree with the OP.  Every time I get foot surgery, my feet change shape, and it takes painful months to get shoes/boots to mold to the new shape of my feet.  In summer I live in sandals, winter sucks.

Fortunately, I have one pair of insulated Browning boots that have always fit.  They are way to warm for summer, but that isn't really an issue as I am in sandals.  I'm terrified of the day those boots wear out though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I apologize to all about not revealing the maker or model of my magic boots.  Like I said earlier, I thought it would muddle my message, and also, I don't want to jinx myself.   If I make it through the season successfully with these boots, then I might have a big unveiling at the end of the year where I reveal my magic boots.

That picture posted above with the broken sole is heartbreaking.  I've had had shoes do that to me before.  I bet there is a problematic factory in China that makes all the soles that break like that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I apologize to all about not revealing the maker or model of my magic boots.  Like I said earlier, I thought it would muddle my message, and also, I don't want to jinx myself.   If I make it through the season successfully with these boots, then I might have a big unveiling at the end of the year where I reveal my magic boots.

That picture posted above with the broken sole is heartbreaking.  I've had had shoes do that to me before.  I bet there is a problematic factory in China that makes all the soles that break like that.
View Quote

For fucks sake OP, it is a pair of boots and this is the internet. We don't play games well here. Just tell us. I am dying to know!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Work boots and hunting boots are the same for me - Redwing 4418.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

So we have safe, box and now boot threads. Way to go OP.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Day 1
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#45]
OP probably went hunting barefoot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Ban OP for being a troll dickfer
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I NEED NEW BOOTS.

Proper brand ACU pants and this shirt. All from Amazon.

Multicam looks like it was made for the Rockies (Idaho/Montana border pictured below). I just wish ACUs weren't so loud. I thought they'd quiet down after breaking them in some, but they're still noisy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny you mention that.   These boots have a softer sole that lets me really sneak through the woods quietly, almost like being barefooted or wearing moccasins.   They don't seem to make things crunch when you walk on them like hard soled boots do.

The tread pattern on these is great as well.  I was ascending, descending and side hilling steep banks with a sure footedness I had never experienced before.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Funny you mention that.   These boots have a softer sole that lets me really sneak through the woods quietly, almost like being barefooted or wearing moccasins.   They don't seem to make things crunch when you walk on them like hard soled boots do.

The tread pattern on these is great as well.  I was ascending, descending and side hilling steep banks with a sure footedness I had never experienced before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ninja/Bovine boots, eh?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are these until you prove otherwise (with pictures).

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top