Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2014 12:50:38 AM EDT
Met the girlfriend units best friend and her husband who is police. Got a nice brand new Glock issued, forget what model but it was a full size fohty. Said it only had about 200 rounds through it.

Anyways he asked me if I knew how to clean it, and if you needed any special tools or cleaner to clean it . I thought he was just busting my balls for shits and giggles but I laughed then realized he was serious.

He brought it down I asked him to clear it and take it down since I was in the other room conversing. He tells me he doesn't know how to take it down. So I proceed to take it down and field strip it and show him what to clean. The gun still had some packing grease inside the slide around the rail area. But other than that it was absolutely bone dry. Not one drop of oil anywhere in it. He also didn't know he needed to oil certain spots on it.

Do they not teach you to clean/maintain your own guns or is there armorers that do that for you in the station?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Cops does not equal gun enthusiasts. No they don't teach them that shit. They reach them local, state and federal laws pertaining to the current local governments views on issues.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cops does not equal gun enthusiasts. No they don't teach them that shit. They reach them local, state and federal laws pertaining to the current local governments views on issues.
View Quote

Right I understand that but its kind of an important element to their everyday jobs. I'd hate for it to jam on him because it wasn't lubed (I know, it's a Glock but still).

That's like a Nascar driver not understanding the fundamentals of how their car works.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Judging from your state tag... that doesn't surprise me at all.

You may have saved his life.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Every agency that I know of field strips and cleans their own weapon.  I know most of them are trained right at the academy on how to strip them and keep them maintained.  Most departments have an armourer for any actual issues, but everyone cleans their own gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]

I attended the Glock Armorers Course when it was held at the Dothan Police Station.  There were 2 civilians in the class along with 20+ police officers from the DPD and surrounding forces.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every agency that I know of field strips and cleans their own weapon.  I know most of them are trained right at the academy on how to strip them and keep them maintained.  Most departments have an armourer for any actual issues, but everyone cleans their own gun.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Profeshunal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I got a hard time buying this one, sorry.  Far too much liability in today's cop world for any of that to happen.  He might be a reserve cop or not a cop at all, but he isn't a real cop and as bad as you portrait.  Doesn't happen.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Met the girlfriend units best friend and her husband who is police. Got a nice brand new Glock issued

He brought it down I asked him to clear it and take it down since I was in the other room conversing. He tells me he doesn't know how to take it down.

Do they not teach you to clean/maintain your own guns or is there armorers that do that for you in the station?

I got a hard time buying this one, sorry.  Far too much liability in today's cop world for any of that to happen.  He might be a reserve cop or not a cop at all, but he isn't a real cop and as bad as you portrait.  Doesn't happen.  

I have no reason to lie or stretch the truth here. He is not a reserve cop, but I believe he still in training. He was telling me about some prostitution arrests he made last week. And it was a bad as I portrayed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have no reason to lie or stretch the truth here. He is not a reserve cop, but I believe he still in training. He was telling me about some prostitution arrests he made last week. And it was a bad as I portrayed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Met the girlfriend units best friend and her husband who is police. Got a nice brand new Glock issued

He brought it down I asked him to clear it and take it down since I was in the other room conversing. He tells me he doesn't know how to take it down.

How is he still in training and at home, with a duty weapon? Is he in a post-academy type training?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yup, we were taught in academy. That said, I know a lot of cops who just aren't gun guys so it doesn't surprise me
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:14:58 AM EDT
[#12]
dosnt surprise me at all, hell ive seen rounds loaded backwards into a mag and was asked why it wouldn't seat into the pistol and this was from an academy grad and post FTO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#13]
We teach our guys.

HOWEVER, as said, "police" does NOT equal "gun guy"... and I can tell you from first-hand experience that some guys are REALLY not gun guys and forget how to field strip their Glocks.  Not many, but a couple.  Interestingly, one of them is a pretty good shooter even though he only shoots at the annual qual.

We've instituted a monthly mandatory cleaning during the shift, in part to reinforce how to field strip weapons.

I believe the OP's story.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Not all cops are gun people.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
dosnt surprise me at all, hell ive seen rounds loaded backwards into a mag and was asked why it wouldn't seat into the pistol and this was from an academy grad and post FTO.
View Quote

Probably a Heckler Koch gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No they don't teach them that shit.
View Quote

I was taught it in the academy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm gonna have to throw this up...

You don't know the full size .40, but you know where to oil it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Not all cops are gun people.
View Quote
This, I remember one time when I was working in a gun store,  I had to show a cop how to use a pump action shot gun...

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Cops are issued a gun then given training at a rate of 15 mins of range time per 4 hours of being told to never use it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you know how to clean/lube one Glock, you know how to do them all.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you know how to take a glock down and lube it, you should know at least the basic 9 and 40 full size model since they have to be the most common of all glocks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Hell I have met plenty of soldiers who dont know how to properly clean thier weapon it ammounts to them careing more about pussy and beer (incidentally they usually dont know how to properly handle those things either) than the one thing that can keep them alive when they need it most.

It seems hard to belive he wouldnt have an idea on how to do this unless he was trained on a different weapon and bought this one as his duty gun. You might ask him about that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you know how to take a glock down and lube it, you should know at least the basic 9 and 40 full size model since they have to be the most common of all glocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am new to Glocks. I got my first 19 gen 4 a few months ago. Within a few days I had it detailed strip and was ordering aftermarket/polishing the internals. They all look the same on the inside. I've shot the 17, 19, and 26. I don't care for 40 calibers, therefore I am not sure what the model number is for that Glock, but his was a gen 4. When I asked him to field strip it he said he didn't know how, but he knew it involved having to pull the trigger.

Again, I have no reason to lie here. I was shocked, and figured the rest of the hive would find it interesting as well. I'm not the brightest bulb in the world, I couldn't even fabricate this story if I tried.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:49:09 AM EDT
[#27]
At my place they taught field stripping once and if you don't practice, and arent a "gun type", it's easy enough to forget. Seen it happen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:53:00 AM EDT
[#28]
In my academy, we spent the first few weeks of pistol instruction just dry-firing, and going over operation, field-stripping / reassembling, and maintenance of our Glocks and 870s.  Of course, there are still complete retards who have no idea what to do, as evidenced by all of the puzzled looks, beat-to-shit brushes in our cleaning house, and occasional stray recoil-assembly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Met the girlfriend units best friend and her husband who is police. Got a nice brand new Glock issued, forget what model but it was a full size fohty. Said it only had about 200 rounds through it.

Anyways he asked me if I knew how to clean it, and if you needed any special tools or cleaner to clean it . I thought he was just busting my balls for shits and giggles but I laughed then realized he was serious.

He brought it down I asked him to clear it and take it down since I was in the other room conversing. He tells me he doesn't know how to take it down. So I proceed to take it down and field strip it and show him what to clean. The gun still had some packing grease inside the slide around the rail area. But other than that it was absolutely bone dry. Not one drop of oil anywhere in it. He also didn't know he needed to oil certain spots on it.

View Quote

First, packing grease, you mean the gold "packing" grease, no it is not packing grease, those are wear in grease to help the weapon to wear in.
Second, most department discourages individual officer to service their weapon other than cleaning the barrel.  As it was mentioned before, not all officers are gun people, and tend to have limited mechanical knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:07:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

First, packing grease, you mean the gold "packing" grease, no it is not packing grease, those are wear in grease to help the weapon to wear in.
Second, most department discourages individual officer to service their weapon other than cleaning the barrel.  As it was mentioned before, not all officers are gun people, and tend to have limited mechanical knowledge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it was gold. Thank you for the correction.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:27:19 AM EDT
[#31]
He was playing dumb to see how much of a gun nut you were OP. Now you are on the list.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
He was playing dumb to see how much of a gun nut you were OP. Now you are on the list.
View Quote

Yep.

Don't tell him you have a dag.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stickman as much as I would love to agree with you I cant.  Ive been a cop for 20 years now and sadly I've seen it.  Now its not the norm as GD wants so badly to believe but it happens.  Had a guy couldn't load or operate a Remington 870, same guy that honestly didn't know you had to rack the slide to chamber a round.  He thought when you put the magazine in you were good to go.  I ask one of his academy mates about this and he said they would pretty much load his pistol and put it in his holster.  Had a guy tell me this week Glocks cannot be oiled, said they were designed for no oil and would not work if oiled.  Picture of the female cop putting the mag in the AR backwards, seen it. I always checked the barrel of the shotgun in a vertical rack, gum wrappers, cigar butts, a condom once(no shit, used fucking condom.)  Saw a guy using a loaded Sig as a hammerSaw a guy using his pistol mounted light to check addressed on houses.  Seen some stupid shit with cops and guns, so yeah I believe it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like my dad. Was a cop for well over 2 decades but barely knows how to maintain a glock 22/23 (his agency's weapons). Anything else and he usually gets me to show him, sometimes after he fucks something up first.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:35:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We teach our guys.

HOWEVER, as said, "police" does NOT equal "gun guy"... and I can tell you from first-hand experience that some guys are REALLY not gun guys and forget how to field strip their Glocks.  Not many, but a couple.  Interestingly, one of them is a pretty good shooter even though he only shoots at the annual qual.

We've instituted a monthly mandatory cleaning during the shift, in part to reinforce how to field strip weapons.

I believe the OP's story.
View Quote

The asst chief at my last agency was cleaning his glock in the road room. Racked the slide, dropped the mag, pulled the trigger........yup in that order. Two dead Motorola Radios.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yup. Part of the firearms module in our academy.  Everyone breaks there's down, cleans them,  puts them back together, then function checks them. We have Glock, M&P, and 1911 armorers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

And after we qualify you have to clean your weapon before you can leave
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude my dad was a fletc instructor. I finally got him to give me his first pistol purchase a moel 60 in the 70's. IT was pitted and all dinged up.

THE GRIPS STANK SO BAD MY SMITH HAD TO THROW THEM IN THE OUTSIDE GARBAGE! He said he tossed them in the shop garbage and then went and fished them out because they stank so bad from years of ankle carry and no cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I attended the Glock Armorers Course when it was held at the Dothan Police Station.  There were 2 civilians in the class along with 20+ police officers from the DPD and surrounding forces.  

View Quote

Sorry, Sparky, but unless the 20 DPD officers were full time members of the armed forces, all of you were 'civilians'.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the most effective ways to use those laws to provide a robust income stream for the government.

Since relieving people of their freedom can sometimes be dangerous they provide weapons which the revenue agent may or may not know how to use.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sorry, Sparky, but unless the 20 DPD officers were full time members of the armed forces, all of you were 'civilians'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew it was only a matter of time.  Any LE thread in GD always ends in hate.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Just wait until you get to the shooting range with him.    Some of the best AND worst shooters I have been to the range with were police.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that hate?  It's pointing out an obvious error.  Ironhandjohn was 100% correct.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How is that hate?  It's pointing out an obvious error.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that hate?  It's pointing out an obvious error.

Oh, my bad.  Thanks for pointing out that obvious error.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#46]
They had a small portion in firearms week that was dedicated to cleaning and maintenance
of your duty weapon in the academy I attended.  

We have 2 department armorers, (I am one of them), who inspect all department weapons, and
replace any bad or out of spec parts twice a year.   Usually after spring and fall qualifications.

Other than that, officers are expected to clean and maintain their own weapons, and we do have
occasional inspections to make sure no one is getting lax or not doing it.  We are a small department,
have some who are "gun guys" and some who are not.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In my academy, we spent the first few weeks of pistol instruction just dry-firing, and going over operation, field-stripping / reassembling, and maintenance of our Glocks and 870s.
View Quote

I wish we had a few weeks of pistol instruction in the academy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#48]
hide your dag.  oh and wait for him to call for a ban on assault clips!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Stickman as much as I would love to agree with you I cant.  Ive been a cop for 20 years now and sadly I've seen it.  Now its not the norm as GD wants so badly to believe but it happens.  Had a guy couldn't load or operate a Remington 870, same guy that honestly didn't know you had to rack the slide to chamber a round.  He thought when you put the magazine in you were good to go.  I ask one of his academy mates about this and he said they would pretty much load his pistol and put it in his holster.  Had a guy tell me this week Glocks cannot be oiled, said they were designed for no oil and would not work if oiled.  Picture of the female cop putting the mag in the AR backwards, seen it. I always checked the barrel of the shotgun in a vertical rack, gum wrappers, cigar butts, a condom once(no shit, used fucking condom.)  Saw a guy using a loaded Sig as a hammerSaw a guy using his pistol mounted light to check addressed on houses.  Seen some stupid shit with cops and guns, so yeah I believe it.
View Quote

There is no need to oil a Glock.  You can do it but there is simply no need for it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#50]
In the Acedemy I qualified with a revolver, had one chief aske me to put a few rounds in his target... I thought about it, thought about a couple of misses.... have a Chief that can not carry now
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top