Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2014 12:31:59 AM EDT
WASHINGTON — The U.S. has begun using Apache AH-64 attack helicopters to strike at ISIS targets inside Iraq, the first time the aircraft have been used for offensive strikes since arriving in Baghdad in early July.

Their use opens up a new capability in the airstrike campaign against ISIS in Iraq, but one that also comes with risks, as they could be vulnerable to ground fire.

A defense official confirms that Apache helicopters were used this weekend as part of four airstrikes on a large ISIS force northeast of Fallujah. The attack was conducted in coordination with Air Force fighter aircraft that supported the operation.

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/10/u-s-now-using-apache-helicopters-to-attack-isis-in-iraq/
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
oooo, 4 whole airstrikes... thatll stop em
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Guess technically it doesn't count as boots on the ground if they are flying in the air,......nice move Obama
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
we need the practice
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

one apache, 8 hellfires, 2x 2.75in rocket pods, 1200rds of 30mm.....they can put alot of damage on a target...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know logistically how they deploy (in what unit, or what size), but if BHO sent over 12 apaches...

How many guys total does it take to fly and support them?

Didn't he say only 500 guys "officially" on the ground?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
one apache, 8 hellfires, 2x 2.75in rocket pods, 1200rds of 30mm.....they can put alot of damage on a target...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

kind of hard when obama is signing off on strikes personally

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
We should send Tammy Duckworth.  

Apache, Blackhawk, whatever.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know logistically how they deploy (in what unit, or what size), but if BHO sent over 12 apaches...

How many guys total does it take to fly and support them?

Didn't he say only 500 guys "officially" on the ground?
View Quote

I'm not the most familiar with the way the Army organizes it's aircraft, but 12 aircraft is roughly a squadron in USN/USMC terms and around 300 people.  Who knows how they're running things though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Do we have support in place  if one goes down?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guess technically it doesn't count as boots on the ground if they are flying in the air,......nice move Obama
View Quote

Did someone say FARP?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Soooo How long before we are back in Iraq full force? I figure last year of President Obama's term in office when he doesn't care anymore.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:18:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
we need the practice
View Quote

And they need to be used for that same practice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did someone say FARP?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did someone say FARP?

I was thinking their range seemed a bit...limited, given the Admin's assurances.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
guess I might just hold off on that retirement paperwork, if we get to slay them fuckers
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank heavens we have a muslim Nobel Peace prize recipient in charge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Nvr mind.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#18]
So no troops on the ground...

I guess they are sending in the Apaches with refueling probes to make it to target and return to wherever they left from.  We hear news reports of isis, or isil, or whatever al qaeda the are, just outside Bagdad, and we are expected to believe that "no boots on the ground" bullshit they are selling.  I have said it before and I'll say it again, we will have forces committed by Christmas.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry whenever I hear no boots on the ground, I hear if you like your insurance you van keep your insurance. FBHO
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:03:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Iraqi Army fighting with ISIS on the outskirts of Baghdad. Iraqis needs to some air support and some mortar teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjnKTTj-kto
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Soooo How long before we are back in Iraq full force? I figure last year of President Obama's term in office when he doesn't care anymore.
View Quote

Every other week we are seeing a escalation in what we have to do as opposed to what the Zippy said we are going to do as a nation. So..by by the end of the month of we probably be moving even more troops and have more aviators making strikes against targets...I would say that by the end of November we might be moving a few thousand more troops and equipment back into Iraq.

How did I come up with that, I watched what Zippy said and know that he is terminally wrong on about every promise that he makes...except for destroying the coal industry....that one he is working hard to keep.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
guess I might just hold off on that retirement paperwork, if we get to slay them fuckers
View Quote

Be safe, Amigo.

And if you go, get some!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#23]

In for the gun camera footage
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Those fuckers are deserving of all the Apache lovin' they can get.

GET SOME!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Those fuckers are deserving of all the Apache lovin' they can get.

GET SOME!!!
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We should send Tammy Duckworth.  

Apache, Blackhawk, whatever.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Iraqi Army fighting with ISIS on the outskirts of Baghdad. Iraqis needs to some air support and some mortar teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjnKTTj-kto
View Quote

Typing while drunk?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

One giant game of " The Floor Is Now Lava".
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So no troops on the ground...

I guess they are sending in the Apaches with refueling probes to make it to target and return to wherever they left from.  We hear news reports of isis, or isil, or whatever al qaeda the are, just outside Bagdad, and we are expected to believe that "no boots on the ground" bullshit they are selling.  I have said it before and I'll say it again, we will have forces committed by Christmas.

View Quote

The orders will start getting cut the day after the midterm elections.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

one apache, 8 hellfires, 2x 2.75in rocket pods, 1200rds of 30mm.....they can put alot of damage $$$$$$$$$ on a target...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

one apache, 8 hellfires, 2x 2.75in rocket pods, 1200rds of 30mm.....they can put alot of damage $$$$$$$$$ on a target...

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
IS seems to have quite a few 12.7/14.5/23mm's - even saw them hauling off 60mm guns on the back of trucks- sincerely hope the US has a strong enough rescue package in place in case one gets hit.
 By strong enough I mean that Mogadishu isn't replayed in Abu Ghraib or Mansour where the US is severely lacking in friends.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Hmmm. First thought in my head was, "Great, wonder how Obama will handle his own black hawk down scenario."
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I spent the better part of 3 days a few weeks ago watching Apache gun camera footage.  Hopefully this news means more is on the way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hmmm. First thought in my head was, "Great, wonder how Obama will handle his own black hawk down scenario."
View Quote

Yup.

What will he do when one gets shot down? I'm sure none of the pilots are female that are there right now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#35]
NO BLOOD FOR OIL!!!

Shit...wait... do I have this right?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
NO BLOOD FOR OIL!!!

Shit...wait... do I have this right?
View Quote

It's OK now.  Really.  You see, this isn't about oil, it's about attacking radical Islam...that we caused.  NO!  I mean this is about protecting corrupt...uh...Human Rights, that's right.  We're trying to protect human rights violations committed by Syria...no wait I mean ISIS, Shit.

Liberals have got to be really reaching to support BHO on this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Iraq has their Mi-28s now from what I read. Want to see how those things do...

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#38]
So...how are they spotting targets with no boots on the ground? If IS is engaged with Iraqis...you can't really just go out and start shooting shit up.

Well...you can...but you'll probably kill a lot of Iraqis, too. If that matters
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And he hasn't been counting since we started...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm surprised no one is pissed that the helicopters have Indian names like the NFL has the Redskins in here
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#42]
A good question was asked on the news, <sic> "Why aren't fixed wings enough and why are CAS Apaches required if the Obama admin claims things are under control in Iraq.  Is the Obama admin lying again? "  

Nothing new to see here
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm surprised no one is pissed that the helicopters have Indian names like the NFL has the Redskins in here
View Quote

Racist helicopters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Now we can thump the enemy better. Instead of empty buildings, we can get personal.

Of course, one lucky shot from an RPG, and we have a bird down.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck Fallujah. That city should be leveled and every living thing in it be fucking exterminated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So...how are they spotting targets with no boots on the ground? If IS is engaged with Iraqis...you can't really just go out and start shooting shit up.

Well...you can...but you'll probably kill a lot of Iraqis, too. If that matters
View Quote

Only GOP Leaders get into trouble for killing poor innocent victims. We just ignore it otherwise and then wonder why a whole new generation of folks whose parents got killed by a drone end up hating us.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Because our government can justify one hellfire is worth one Jihadi...

Let the Marines loose, let them play unrestricted and we will see who is smiling.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#48]
If its safe enough for helicopter gunships..."Spectre" should be on the loose.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do we have support in place  if one goes down?
View Quote

My question, too.  If I had to guess, i would say the SAR assets are there but if you go down in a nest of ISIS, you will soon star in your own youtube vid.

TC
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Iraq has their Mi-28s now from what I read. Want to see how those things do...

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ekurus.jpg  
View Quote

Apache vs Mi-28 field trials?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top