Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
Having our floors refinished. They've got two coats of their poly/clear down. We had a funky transition from wood to tile, and I made a transition piece, and have it stained.

Now, my question: I'd like to get this transition piece "caught up" with the rest, so they can put a final coat on it when they come back (after the kitchen is complete). Can I put any old clear on there for a couple base coats for their final to go over? Or do I need special floor product. Their stuff has been pretty fumey, if that gives any compatibility indicators. Am I good with any oil-based clear? Alternative is to clear it myself separately, then put it down after they're all done, but I'd prefer to hand it off and let them carry it across the finish line with identical sheen, etc.

Much thanks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
get a pint of latex poly .  dries in hours.   sand with #0000 steal wool between coats  . tell you get the desired matching cover.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Either way,  i doubt you'll notice much difference in a small area like a threshold.   That being said, i see your point,  and don't blame you.  

I doubt they are using an oil based clear.   Probably a poly urethane.   Get you a can of that, it drys in a few hours.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
If you smell fumes it is probably oil based polyurethane. Just get some minwax poly in whatever sheen they are using on the rest of the floor and follow the instructions on the can. Make sure not to get the water based kind if they aren't using it on the rest of the floor.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Pretty sure I have some laying around here somewhere.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
They are just applying polyurethane, probably a solvent based since you mentioned fumes.

Most poly is all the same, it will look the same with their or your poly as long as their is no stain involved and the same type of hardwood.

Don't waste your time with water based polyurethane, go with a solvent based.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top