Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2014 3:07:31 PM EDT
I honestly don't know much about them.  What are their goals? They are listed as a terrorist organization, but is that terrorist as in ISIS or terrorist as in Joe Patriot?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Terrorists.

Period.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You're not going to get an unbiased look at the IRA or "the troubles" from a site nearly wholly populated by Americans.

There's a shit-ton of literature out there from every vantage point you can imagine.

Go read the history and form your own conclusion.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Terrorists.

Period.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Supplying guns to the SOA.

ETA...

I had the opportunity to train with a former SAS off and on over a few years, and his comments and observations on the IRA were interesting. Yes... terrorists!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're not going to get an unbiased look at the IRA or "the troubles" from a site nearly wholly populated by Americans.

There's a shit-ton of literature out there from every vantage point you can imagine.

View Quote

That was what I was wondering.  The founding fathers would be considered terrorists by today's standards, but then again no one doubts ISIS is a bunch on murdering thugs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That was what I was wondering.  The founding fathers would be considered terrorists by today's standards, but then again no one doubts ISIS is a bunch on murdering thugs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Real IRA was responsible for the Omagh bombing in which 29 innocent people were killed, including "Protestants, Catholics, a Mormon teenager, five other teenagers, six children, a woman pregnant with twins, two Spanish tourists, and other tourists on a day trip from the Republic of Ireland"

I think it is safe to call them terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Real IRA was responsible for the Omagh bombing in which 29 innocent people were killed, including "Protestants, Catholics, a Mormon teenager, five other teenagers, six children, a woman pregnant with twins, two Spanish tourists, and other tourists on a day trip from the Republic of Ireland"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

interesting poster is interesting.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#10]
They Kill Horses.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Terrorist as in terrorist, at least after 1921 or so.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#12]
SAS kill any Catholic innocents?

How about the Protestants? NO blame?

Two sides don't be blind.

England stomps another independent nation...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Terrorist as in terrorist, at least after 1920 or so.

«tc2k11»
View Quote

So, is terrorism ever a morally defensible means to an end?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

what in the name of blue fuck are you talking about?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plastic paddy babble.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

Que? No.

Prior to 1921 or so, the IRA went after arguably or obviously legitimate targets, and they were no more brutal or non-discriminating than the British ("black and tans," etc.). After 1921, I don't know much.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it St Patrick's Day already?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, he's totally Irish. He drinks Guiness, and everything.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Que? No.

Prior to 1921 or so, the IRA went after arguably or obviously legitimate targets, and they were no more brutal or non-discriminating than the British ("black and tans," etc.). After 1921, I don't know much.

«tc2k11»
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

Que? No.

«tc2k11»

I disagree about terrorism *never* being a morally defensible strategy.

I won't argue about the troubles or the IRA, specifically.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

«tc2k11»

Que? No.

«tc2k11»

Well, I'm not sure any more what anyone means when they say "terrorist," so that may be a source of confusion for me.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Terrorists who kill innocents in the name of their religion.

Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Terrorists who kill innocents in the name of their religion.

Sound familiar?
View Quote

From the beginning of the troubles, it wasn't so much about the Catholics and Protestants as it was about the "haves" and "have nots."

The religious divide was a convenient, and mostly accurate, way of delineating the two sides of the argument.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Many were/are communists, from the 1970's and on
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Terrorists with less of a cause every day since Operation Banner ended in 2007. The reality is the people of N. Ireland Catholics and Protestants want to be part of the UK and the Real IRA wants to use force to change that. The people of N. Ireland certainly benefit more economically being part of the UK over Ireland. Irish Republicanism is a dying cause left over from the troubles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Terrorists with less of a cause every day since Operation Banner ended in 2007. The reality is the people of N. Ireland Catholics and Protestants want to be part of the UK and the Real IRA wants to use force to change that. The people of N. Ireland certainly benefit more economically being part of the UK over Ireland. Irish Republicanism is a dying cause left over from the troubles.
View Quote
Basically organized Crime now.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

er thanks... I think?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to go lite and say,

1 account warning
1 thread lock
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IRA thread often go that way.

This thread isn't about the original IRA or the Provisional IRA, but most posting here can't comprehend that too well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to go lite and say,

1 account warning
1 thread lock

IRA thread often go that way.

This thread isn't about the original IRA or the Provisional IRA, but most posting here can't comprehend that too well.

Surprised you see a difference between the Real IRA and the Provos.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Mountbatten has nothing to do with the Real IRA who were formed in 1997 and thankfully is but a pale shadow of the provisional IRA.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Mountbatten has nothing to do with the Real IRA who were formed in 1997 and thankfully is but a pale shadow of the provisional IRA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They chose their name. says enough about the Real IRA affiliation for me.

Luckily they are but a shadow of the Provos.  But that's not because they don't want to be.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Real IRA = Bad.   Original IRA?   Well, I'm not going to say.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I visited Ireland and Northern Ireland a couple years ago.  The younger people can't even fathom what all of the stupidity was over.  Most of the older people are glad it's over.  What amazed me is that the only way you knew  you crossed from Ireland into Northern Ireland, was that the road signs were now in miles and mph, with no Gaelic anywhere.

While lost in Belfast on my first ever day of driving on the left side of the road, I did see a huge mural painted on a building of a masked man wielding a shotgun.  I think it was for the Ulster Liberation Front or something like that, but it looked old.

And yes, the people of Northern Ireland can vote for independence any time they want to now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#40]
It would be neat if some one from Ireland would chime in and give us all a lesson. Yes, I'm sure it is easily found on Google but a real, live persons input would be interesting. The facts and all, history class sort of. It's always interested me, the 'troubles' etc., as my grandmother was indeed Irish but she passed before I ever knew her.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#41]
We had a guy that had IRA tats show up in town one time and say for about a year then he was just gone one day.

He was a cool guy and all but he was a bit some times.

I'm 100% sure he was in hiding.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many random people going about their business, including many children, did the founding fathers rip to pieces?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How many random people going about their business, including many children, did the founding fathers rip to pieces?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shelling towns with cannon count? Quite a few i bet if they didn't leave ahead of time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The IRA may have started out as a purely nationalistic organization, but in the 20th century they were infiltrated and co-opted by the communists during the cold war as a destabilizing factor against the West.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the founding fathers might be considered terrorists from a certain segment of our society but not from most people.  the founders did everything possible to not have a armed conflict and when the British came they still sued for a peaceful resolution.  the IRA just kills people even if it doesn't further their political ambitions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

the founding fathers might be considered terrorists from a certain segment of our society but not from most people.  the founders did everything possible to not have a armed conflict and when the British came they still sued for a peaceful resolution.  the IRA just kills people even if it doesn't further their political ambitions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Also, Communists.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I honestly don't know much about them.  What are their goals? They are listed as a terrorist organization, but is that terrorist as in ISIS or terrorist as in Joe Patriot?
View Quote

I'm about as republican as a first generation American can be, but those guys are terrorists.  The ballot box is the way to go, now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The kicker is that they have absolutely no chance of getting what they want by a vote so they try to get it by violence.   Hallmark of a bunch of wannabe dictator terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In which case he must be aware that St. Patrick was English.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top