Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 10:02:14 AM EDT
I am in the planning stages of building one or utilizing part of the crawl space - shelter area.  Any tips are welcomed.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am in the planning stages of building one or utilizing part of the crawl space - shelter area.  Any tips are welcomed.

View Quote

Have you verified that you have a relatively constant, cool temp in that place? Apples and potatoes stay good forever in my cellar, but it's not in a warm climate, and it's very well insulated and stays real cool. Be sure your veggies can breath. Paper and baskets, wood crates have worked well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Get an indoor/outdoor thermometer and place your sensor in the area you are talking of using, monitor it for a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I just use a corner of my regular cellar, there is a bin of potatoes down there right now that were dug up a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you verified that you have a relatively constant, cool temp in that place? Apples and potatoes stay good forever in my cellar, but it's not in a warm climate, and it's very well insulated and stays real cool. Be sure your veggies can breath. Paper and baskets, wood crates have worked well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole crawl space is below ground level and my house stays relatively cool even in in hot months due to plenty of tree shading.  Your post and the next one have enlightened me to actually monitor temps.  My main concern is more about keeping things available through the winter months where it can get pretty cold here in SW MO.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a book by Rodale Press named "Root Cellaring" or something to that effect that had some good info; but it's been a while.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]
The big thing is you don't want it to flood.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was a kid we had one for potatoes.   Once in a while mice would get into the potatoes, so you had to keep an eye on the baskets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top