Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2014 11:36:01 PM EDT
I searched.  Don't dupe me bro.
Afleck debates with the rationality of a girl on the rag for the first time.

Video: Ben Affleck Calls Bill Maher’s Views on Islam "Gross and Racist”

Ben Affleck got real angry at TV host Bill Maher and author Sam Harris during Real Time With Bill Maher on
Friday, accusing the pair of portraying an overgeneralized picture of
Islam by using a few extreme examples. Maher and Harris say they're just
speaking uncomfortable truths. "We have been sold this meme of
Islamophobia, where criticism of the religion gets conflated with
bigotry toward Muslims as people,” Harris began, reports Mediaite.
"It’s intellectually ridiculous.” And that’s when Affleck jumps up:
"Hold on — are you the person who officially understands the codified
doctrine of Islam?” It gets more and more heated from there as Affleck
chastises Maher and Harris for being racists, two charges they
repeatedly deny.

"Why are you so hostile about this?” Maher asked Affleck. "It’s gross
and racist. It’s like saying, Oh you shifty Jew,’” Affleck replied.
"Your argument is, ‘You know, black people, they shoot each other,’” the
actor, who went on the show to promote his new movie, said at one
point. There was lots of yelling back and forth throughout the segment
as journalist Nicholas Kristof tried to interject with some more calm
criticism, saying Maher and Harris were painting an "incomplete” picture
of a religion. But Maher insisted, saying at one point that Islam is
"the only religion that acts like the mafia” because "they will fucking
kill you if you say the wrong thing, draw the wrong picture, or write
the wrong book.”

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't feel bad.  I have a watch that doesn't work at all.  It's right twice a day.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Maher's been nailing it on Islam for a long time.  Surprised about Affleck, but I suppose I shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck bill maher and fuck ben affleck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The best possible outcome was both to have a head on collision leaving the stuid with each other.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Might get a lot of shit for this, but here goes.

I've known plenty of moderate Muslims who weren't all snackbar jihad. Decent people who didn't care what anyone else believed or wrote. Seems to me fanatics of any creed or ideology are going to be nuts, just that Islam's got a whole lot more of them, and they're on display constantly at that. Don't know if that means the whole religion is terrible or just the Salafi brainwashing sect that's taken over in a few areas. Most of the Islamist crazies come from that Saudi source of hardcore wahhabi Sunni Islam (ISIL, AQ, Taliban).

But nobody wants to take down the Saudis, so it just keeps spreading. They're the real enemy in the end, but we can't upset the apple cart that much, so we stay frenemies forever.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry, Maher's not putting Jews or Christians in a different boat...ETA especially the conservative one.

I agree with Affleck.

But we can still talk about an ultimate solution.....cause that's GD's deal on this...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like Asslick proved Harris and Maher's point, less than 30 seconds after they uttered it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder which uncomfortable, or 'over-generalized',  extremist examples, Mr. Affleck, would prefer?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm halfway between Affleck and Maher.

I did date a muslim girl in college. She would constantly talk about spreading peace and all of that stuff. Dumped her because she was obnoxious lol

Edit: I liked Mahers Catholic comment (as a catholic)
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might get a lot of shit for this, but here goes.

I've known plenty of moderate Muslims who weren't all snackbar jihad. Decent people who didn't care what anyone else believed or wrote. Seems to me fanatics of any creed or ideology are going to be nuts, just that Islam's got a whole lot more of them, and they're on display constantly at that. Don't know if that means the whole religion is terrible or just the Salafi brainwashing sect that's taken over in a few areas. Most of the Islamist crazies come from that Saudi source of hardcore wahhabi Sunni Islam (ISIL, AQ, Taliban).

But nobody wants to take down the Saudis, so it just keeps spreading. They're the real enemy in the end, but we can't upset the apple cart that much, so we stay frenemies forever.
View Quote

Fuck the Saudis (twice in very bad ways).  Fuck Ben Aflack, make that a double!  Fuck Bill Maher 98% of the time, but he is right on this one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Ben, Xanax is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Malanie Morgon always said, " liberals will eat their own young". It's because their beliefs contradict themselves again and again.

Maher has been on the Islam ass because he's a hard core atheist.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

shoulda been the first post
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

A whole lot of THIS.

And Maher might get it right sometimes. After all, the sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Malanie Morgon always said, " liberals will eat their own young". It's because their beliefs contradict themselves again and again.

Maher has been on the Islam ass because he's a hard core atheist.
View Quote

He's no fan of religion in general.

Neither am I.

That doesn't mean I can't draw a distinction between the religion of the Roman empire and the religion of the dark ages.

I'm sure there a plenty of perfectly civilized muslims in the world, the problem is they're the ones who aren't really religious. They're like the Christians who only go to church because everybody they know does.

The true believers of every other religion on the planet are obnoxious (well maybe not the Buddhists) but they stopped killing people for disagreeing a long time ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The true believers of every other religion on the planet are obnoxious (well maybe not the Buddhists) but they stopped killing people for disagreeing a long time ago.

View Quote

Yup, in the end that's it. Even today there's tons of Catholics throughout the developing world, but you don't see 1/4th the barbarism coming out of those countries as you do the Muslim ones. Maybe it's just because Catholics look to an enlightened European capital for their instruction, while Muslims have no one to look to but 1500 year old texts and the local nutjob interpreting them.

There's definitely similarities in craziness between Islam and Christianity, as well as Judaism and such, but Islam's the only major religion that insists it be turned into a theocratic government. It is the antithesis of secularism, so all of the ideological/cultural advancements the rest of the world has made in the secular realm can't be applied, at least so long as you believe the Quran.

Also, the Bible (and most every holy book) was not designed by one guy over one lifetime, but was rather the accumulated culture,  knowledge, and and mores of centuries of people. Even the words of Jesus were not directly written by him but rather 3rd hand accounts two generations after the guy died. I don't know, maybe Jesus actually said some nutty things (seems he didn't though, and god or not was one hell of a wise and Nice Guy), but IF he had there were dozens of people probably that filtered it and seriously buffered us from any possible 0th century cray cray he might have tossed into his teachings.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Continued (2K post limits suck):

But then there's the Quran, which is basically one ancient barbarian warrior nomad nutjob's Personal Manifesto. The cray cray gets a direct line from the 7th century nutjob to every 21st century nutjob through Mohammed's unabomber cave diary.

And that's the problem. It's too easy for the Saudis to become a nation of nutjobs themselves, and then too easy for them to export it, because hey, this Nutjob Manifesto happens to agree with everything we're trying to teach!

And so even with all the wealth in the world landed in their laps, the Muslims can't help but hack each others heads off and replay the 7th century. The moderates that I've known, they're the exception, first worlders, born and raised with that modern humanism and secularism to raise them and drown out the 7th century unabomber crazy, but the rest of the faithful? There's too much paper around their necks dragging them down.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Maher produces for Vice News.

He's seen more crazy islamic shit than most folks.

Islam literally means submission. That's all you really need to know. Submit or die.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, File this under "when cunts disagree", and move on....
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

lol, don't worry.  Maher is still a fucking douche, and I'm not losing any sleep over this anomaly

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Gujarat was India's answer
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#26]
While part of me would like to begrudgingly applaud Maher, he also applies such gross generalizations and absurd hyperbole to Christians, Republicans, conservatives and all manner of subject his brain dead audience will cheer and clap to. He is a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:45:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

perhaps but it is high time people, Americans, feel free to criticize that religion as they do others. When a comedian can piss all over Jesus but is afraid to say anything about Mohammed it is a problem.

Probably the most damning thing you can say about Islam: people are afraid to criticize it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While part of me would like to begrudgingly applaud Maher, he also applies such gross generalizations and absurd hyperbole to Christians, Republicans, conservatives and all manner of subject his brain dead audience will cheer and clap to. He is a fucking joke.

perhaps but it is high time people, Americans, feel free to criticize that religion as they do others. When a comedian can piss all over Jesus but is afraid to say anything about Mohammed it is a problem.

Probably the most damning thing you can say about Islam: people are afraid to criticize it.

Yea, I am sure that douche Affleck would have made no objection, and probably joined in had Maher gone on one of his diatribes against Christians for example.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Someone told me that there's a retard down the street that says all sorts of interesting things.

Honestly, I just don't have the time to listen to retards.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:13:12 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, you need to reevaluate what you take into your cranium. A broken clock is right twice a day.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Classic text book example of when assholes collide.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I watched that episode.  

Ben acts like a 14 year old know it all but wasn't able to add anything substantive to the conversation and could only give sarcastic comments and snarky looks when he couldn't refute a claim.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#35]
If they would have had Denzil Washington instead of Ben that would have been a conversation worth listening to.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I agreed with him when he called Americans stupid, although I'm sure his audiance translated it as "conservatives are stupid".
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Until the non-violent Muslims make themselves relevant Mahar is correct and dumbass Affleck is wrong.

Why should anyone value ANYTHING the sheep Muslims feel...........they are irrelevant because they are not wiping out the radicals.

Sheep do not deserve a rating..........it's just that plain and simple.

The reason being is that they are ineffective and irrelevant.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I agreed with him when he called Americans stupid, although I'm sure his audiance translated it as "conservatives are stupid".
View Quote

of course it did.

Leftists consider themselves to be " Citizens Of The World ™ " above all. Being American is an unfortunate accident to them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm halfway between Affleck and Maher.

I did date a muslim girl in college. She would constantly talk about spreading peace and all of that stuff. Dumped her because she was obnoxious lol

Edit: I liked Mahers Catholic comment (as a catholic)
View Quote

Peace through conversion. Death to those who resist.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yea, I am sure that douche Affleck would have made no objection, and probably joined in had Maher gone on one of his diatribes against Christians for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true. It's "fashionable" to criticize Christianity. It's terrifying (apparently) to do so with Islam.

I give Maher credit, only that he has the guts to criticize Islam, when most others would pussyfoot around and pick and choose which religions to hate. He hates all religions, he doesn't pussyfoot.

But he's still an ass.

I don't know this since I don't watch Maher's show—does he paint Christianity as being "just as bad" as Islam? Like they do here!

Edit: I had only seen a shorter version of this Maher segment. It seems like the longer segment answers some of my questions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Someone told me that there's a retard down the street that says all sorts of interesting things.

Honestly, I just don't have the time to listen to retards.
View Quote

Situation clarified
/thread
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I watched that episode.  

Ben acts like a 14 year old know it all but wasn't able to add anything substantive to the conversation and could only give sarcastic comments and snarky looks when he couldn't refute a claim.
View Quote

every liberal. FIFY.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or less cocaine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Interesting that Ben would call out Bill as a racist, when he is the one who brings up blacks shooting each other.  I really think deep down inside, liberals are the true racists who believe other races are inferior and need a helping hand in life in order to get ahead.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Give them knives and

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Who watches such ass hats?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#47]
even a blind chicken finds corn every now and then.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah, Ben, take 5 Xanax and a couple of drinks and call me in the morning.

cunt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#49]
intellectual battle?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1, I refer to him as Been Afflicted.  he truly is a moron and I hated the movie Pearl Harbor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top