Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2014 7:38:24 PM EDT
I have an old laptop that I'm trying to find a use for.

It has Win2K on it but I was thinking of installing a version of Linux.

Here are the specs for the laptop.

Basic specs are:

800 Mhz CPU

384 Megs of RAM.

I have tried running linux on it before a long time ago and had problems getting the Belkin PMCIA Wireless card to work.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Debian
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Burn a live distro and try it out. If it works, fo to a full install.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a really old Toshiba Satellite I run Unity on and VB Window's 7.  I use it every now and then for the hell of it.  

Old Intel Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz × 2 with video ran by an Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 using 2 gigs of RAM.  At times it struggles but on Unity, it's pretty smooth.  You may be pushing it with that laptop of yours...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The live distro cd can be a bit laggy, but it is very useful for getting a good idea of how things look and what is hidden where.  For an old laptop, I would suggest puppy Linux, a very lightweight distro.  If you want to dump some money in the hardware, upgrade the drive (if you can) to a 5400 or 7200 rpm unit and maybe add a faster class of memory.  Also bump up to a half gig, maybe a full gig of memory.  Probably won't ever use it all, but it is cheap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Lubuntu has worked well on my netbooks.  If you want a little more functionality, try Xubuntu.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been putting xubuntu on older machines with good results lately
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The live distro cd can be a bit laggy, but it is very useful for getting a good idea of how things look and what is hidden where.  For an old laptop, I would suggest puppy Linux, a very lightweight distro.  If you want to dump some money in the hardware, upgrade the drive (if you can) to a 5400 or 7200 rpm unit and maybe add a faster class of memory.  Also bump up to a half gig, maybe a full gig of memory.  Probably won't ever use it all, but it is cheap.
View Quote

I have an old Toshiba with a 300 Mhz Pentium II and 196 megs of memory that ran circa-2010 Puppy Linux fairly well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have an old Toshiba with a 300 Mhz Pentium II and 196 megs of memory that ran circa-2010 Puppy Linux fairly well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap!  That's an old machine!  I bet it played Oregon Trail really we'll though.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lubuntu has worked well on my netbooks.  If you want a little more functionality, try Xubuntu.
View Quote

I agree.  It's been a while since I've messed with the *nix scene, but I do have a thumbdrive loaded with Ubuntu's netbook image for my netbook.  I really need to sit down and do a proper dual boot on that device.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had good luck with Ubuntu.  Also, several others have suggested light versions of it.  I haven't used Lunbuntu or Xunbuntu but that could be a good bet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Wary Puppy is tailored for older hardware.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Been wanting to do this to an old XP machine that I have in the garage.

Just for surfing the interwebs, cataloging build pictures of projects and such. Pretty light duty stuff.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for Puppy, itwas designed for out-of-date equipment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I wiped an old laptop and threw Linux Mint onto it.  It runs surprisingly fast, considering the laptop is maybe 7-8 years old, and was slow as hell before the swap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another vote for Puppy, itwas designed for out-of-date equipment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Ubuntu, I would never go back to windows.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I wiped an old laptop and threw Linux Mint onto it.  It runs surprisingly fast, considering the laptop is maybe 7-8 years old, and was slow as hell before the swap.
View Quote
Really shows you how bloated Windows is/can be....

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an old laptop that I'm trying to find a use for.

Any ideas?
View Quote

Just kidding -- Recycle it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
distrowatch.com

I'd put one called AntiX on there, its Debian tailored for older systems.

Esp if you are going to make it a 'server' type system, AntiX has a console only setup thats fast, and you can use a remote login to maintain it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I use Ubuntu, I would never go back to windows.
View Quote
this

i went w/ it after widoz crashed. used a usb version to get what I could from the hd, then loaded unbuntu.

probably 3-4 times faster to load, and all the programs work better.

fuck windoz

06 vizio

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#22]
LXLE is the flavor you are seeking.

I have been running it in some VMs on a desktop and it is very nice.  Hell, I have an old POS laptop with Winders 7 and running it in VMware on top of 7.  Still works well.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a net book with XP on it. I installed Ubuntu and that works like a charm. I did a duel install so I can still get to my kindle. Kindle does not work with Ubuntu that I know of
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a net book with XP on it. I installed Ubuntu and that works like a charm. I did a duel install so I can still get to my kindle. Kindle does not work with Ubuntu that I know of
View Quote

Tried Calibre or Kindle in Wine?

I am working on my next build now, my first OS install is going to be a hypervisor.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Debian
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#26]
That's what I did with an old Dell B130 laptop I have.
I installed Ubuntu 12.4 (it wont run 14).

Yeah, it works but it's still slow as hell.

Actually I re-installed XP with none of the crap stuff and dual booted XP/Ubuntu and it's really a toss up.

I usually end up booting XP because it works better in its stripped down mode.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top