Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2014 5:19:09 PM EDT
Anyone in the Winston-Salem NC area know a good Survey company?
Neighbor is pushing in to my lot with his lawn projects. I need to get a fence up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
you didnt have one done when you bought the place?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You could check for property corners with a metal detector. Might be lucky and find a piece of rebar or pipe driven into he ground.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could check for property corners with a metal detector. Might be lucky and find a piece of rebar or pipe driven into he ground.
View Quote

Pay for a survey. If you're going to get in a pissing match with a neighbor over borders, you damn well better have a valid survey on your side.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Years ago, one city road widening project later the markers are missing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pay for a survey. If you're going to get in a pissing match with a neighbor over borders, you damn well better have a valid survey on your side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, also if you ever sell your property you have one ready to show. Then you or buyer just has to have it updated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a problem with the jack off next door. Had a new survey done and a fence put in within a week. We had the stake in the back corner, but he was constantly encroaching in the front and side yard, the front corner had underground utilities running through, so the stake was hard to find.
Had the property surveyed and marked. Told next door neighbor to keep his ass on his side.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my thought a as well.

The guy is five feet in to my yard with his garden boxes. It's going to get ugly. He is not a Pleasant fellow
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The guy is five feet in to my yard with his garden boxes. It's going to get ugly. He is not a Pleasant fellow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Realtor said that Was my property, I paid for 1 acre, by God I'm going to use my 1 acre, So and so told me where the property line is...............

Get a survey then a fence permit if required then build it and sit back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My Realtor said that Was my property, I paid for 1 acre, by God I'm going to use my 1 acre, So and so told me where the property line is...............

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they got a satellite photo from the assessor with the boundary lines estimated on it and he took them as gossip.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Or they got a satellite photo from the assessor with the boundary lines estimated on it and he took them as gossip.

View Quote

and maybe gospel too
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes!  If you get it surveyed and you are correct, leave the boxes there but start harvesting what's inside.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Pay for a survey,,,THEN Bill the city for not resurveying the property when said project was completed..
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
and maybe gospel too
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:Or they got a satellite photo from the assessor with the boundary lines estimated on it and he took them as gossip.

and maybe gospel too
Ha! I was thinking gospel when I typed it but somehow put gossip.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Or they got a satellite photo from the assessor with the boundary lines estimated on it and he took them as gossip.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking this.

Even if it was survey accurate property line data (rather than the +/ 50 foot shit you get from most assessors) it would still be very likely that the aerial image under the lines is off a bit.

A survey is the way to go.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have to ask.

Have you told Mr. Unpleasant face-to-face that he is encroaching on your property?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most mortgage companies do not require that any longer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Get a boundary survey done and build a fence as stated.  The only way he can dispute a survey is with another survey and a lawsuit.  Pretty much guarantees you'll have the legal upper hand in case he derps.  Remember you still have to live by him, if there is a way to keep it civil you'll be happier in the long run.  

The smaller survey single-man survey firms will most likely have your best price, but may have a backlog so you'd have to be patient until they get to it.  The larger survey/engineering/consulting firms will be more expensive but probably have enough staff to proceed with work almost immediately.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Call one of the local realtors as they know who which firms are good and cheap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Report back on results, which i expect will take a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have to ask.

Have you told Mr. Unpleasant face-to-face that he is encroaching on your property?
View Quote

Went down to his house after church, he would not come to the door. Left a note asking him to call me when he got home.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a similar problem with a new neighbor.  The old neighbor and I agreed that the front property line would just be a continuation of the fence line that divided the back yards, drawn all the way to the front.  When he sold the house the new neighbor decided he wanted to widen his driveway into what I had considered to be my yard, his reasoning was he "checked online and found that he owned that part of the front yard".  

I told him no to widening his driveway, he paid for a survey and found that not only didn't he own that part of the property, but the actual property line was 3 feet further over on his part of the property than the old neighbor and I drew it.

It's taken him 2 years to get over that and start behaving like a man again instead of like a high school girl who just lost her boyfriend.

Fuck neighbors.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Went down to his house after church, he would not come to the door. Left a note asking him to call me when he got home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to ask.

That's a good start.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  And, if you can, see if you can use the original surveyor.  Granted it might not always be an option ...

Dad did that once, although not on purpose.  He didn't realize he'd hired the original surveyor until the man said that he recognized the property and the markers.  But even then, the crazy bitch neighbor refused to believe Dad was right about the property lines. Dad had to call the cops when he staked out the fence line cos she kept trying to pull them out.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to ask.

sounds like he already knows what it's over and doesn't want to talk to you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#24]
One of my co-workers got in a gunfight over a disputed survey line.  Only reason he came out on top was he had  mindset and training (9mm) vs old man and .25 Auto.

Watch your back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

And then put a big-ass fence on that line.

If you have a neighbor that is causing problems over a property line, you need a damned fence yesterday.

When my dad expanded his garden (staked out a 10-foot deer fence,) his neighbor went insane.  You see, it seems that in Mississippi, the rationale is that if you mow a piece of land, then you own it.

Dad got a survey done, and it turns out that Dad owned a LOT more of the man's "lawn" than he thought.  After the neighbor saw the surveyor markers, he hired it own survey.  He got the same results as Dad.  So he hired ANOTHER surveyor.  Same results.  

So after three surveys, I made DAMN sure that Dad's deer fence went to the EXACT edge of the property line.

The neighbor is still pissed.  He ran his mouth for a while, lied a bit until he got caught in the lie and made to look like a fool.

I now sight in my guns five feet over the property line even though I have a 600 yard range behind my house.

ETA:

I am not really worried about long-term ramifications.

The POS bastard was lucky enough to get a kidney transplant a while back, but still burned this one up with his drinking.  He's now on dialysis, and I just found out today that he is about to have extremely high-risk quadruple by-pass surgery.  I figure that he'll be having an uncomfortable chat with St. Peter before I have to ever speak to him again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Report back on results, which i expect will take a few weeks.
View Quote

I for sure want to know how this plays out. I hope your neighbor just shuts up and gets over it, but somehow I doubt it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top