Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2014 10:05:46 AM EDT
and the gun industry in general use so damn many acronyms ?

reading thru any gun publication today is mind boggling trying to keep up with and/or understand what they all mean ?

i subscribe to 5 different gun mags. in 1959, i had three subscriptions back then the writers actually used words, now all one sees is acronyms.

i believe that every gun publication should print a page listing all the acronyms they use in their publication.  

is there anyone here who knows them all ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#1]
IDK WTF u R talking about. IIRC, there was a thread FYI last week.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Rly?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Less $ for pay-per-word.
Saves space.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
So there I was, a citizen of the United Statesof America, carrying my new carbine 15 and twenty rounds of full metal jacket ammunition. I had extra Isreali Military Industry ammunition in my load bearing gear. To protect my lower legs from the sun and environment, I was wearing a pair of battle dress utilities that closely matched the primary terrain colors.

Or

So there I was, a citizen of the USA, carrying my new CAR-15 and 20 rounds of FMJ. I had extra IMI ammo in my LBG. To protect my lower legs from the sun and environment, I was wearing a pair of BDUs that closely matched the primary terrain colors.

Isn't that better?

Get with it and learn the acronyms.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe they can't speel out the words.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Who reads that shit anymore?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm surprised anybody still reads the gun rags!
Every gun they test is always perfect and a game changer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Because to a lot of the young guys who grew up on acronyns, actually spelling out the whole word would confuse them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IDK WTF u R talking about. IIRC, there was a thread FYI last week.
View Quote
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#12]
An acronym is an abbreviation that makes a word. For example: SCUBA (self contained underwater breathing apparatus) and RADAR (radio detection and ranging). Otherwise, you just have a bunch abbreviations.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
and the gun industry in general use so damn many acronyms ?

reading thru any gun publication today is mind boggling trying to keep up with and/or understand what they all mean ?

i subscribe to 5 different gun mags. in 1959, i had three subscriptions back then the writers actually used words, now all one sees is acronyms.

i believe that every gun publication should print a page listing all the acronyms they use in their publication.  

is there anyone here who knows them all ?
View Quote

You're gonna have to do some research.

TANSTAAFL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Spelin and reedin is hard.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Fancy acronyms help them look like they know what they are talking about. Or at least that is what they apparently think.  

Many of them seem to be about at knowledgeable as the LGS dipshits.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Vanity rags...whoever bought the most ad space.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#17]
It seems I lost my Armalite Rifle, model fifteen in a boat accident. It even had the ability to aim using light stimulated by electromagnetic radiation. I could become certified to use a self-contained underwater breathing apparatus and recover it, but I think I will just have another shipped to my local federal firearms licensee.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Once in a while SGN does a good piece on some dusty old milsurp.

The rest of the articles are BS.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So there I was, a citizen of the United Statesof America, carrying my new carbine 15 and twenty rounds of full metal jacket ammunition. I had extra Isreali Military Industry ammunition in my load bearing gear. To protect my lower legs from the sun and environment, I was wearing a pair of battle dress utilities that closely matched the primary terrain colors.  

Or

So there I was, a citizen of the USA, carrying my new CAR-15 and 20 rounds of FMJ. I had extra IMI ammo in my LBG. To protect my lower legs from the sun and environment, I was wearing a pair of BDUs that closely matched the primary terrain colors.

Isn't that better?

View Quote

You do realize that even in the military, which is the home of the three letter acronym (TLA), that the Tongue and Quill offers this bullet in its section about abbreviations that are not in the organizations or Joint Staff's published terms dictionary:
- Spell out the word (or words) the first time used and enough times within the document to remind readers of its meaning.

So why would you, as a writer, just throw in a bunch of TLAs and expect your writer to already be knowledgeable on the subject or have to go do more research to determine what the heck you are even saying in your article?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL, magazines are for shooting, not reading.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
How about those writers who review guns and never show pictures of the groups they shot (if they shot it at all in the first place)?

I respect writers who confess to having a third party do all of the shooting, than a writer who lists group sizes with no supporting documentation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You do realize that even in the military, which is the home of the three letter acronym (TLA), that the Tongue and Quill offers this bullet in its section about abbreviations that are not in the organizations or Joint Staff's published terms dictionary:
- Spell out the word (or words) the first time used and enough times within the document to remind readers of its meaning.

So why would you, as a writer, just throw in a bunch of TLAs and expect your writer to already be knowledgeable on the subject or have to go do more research to determine what the heck you are even saying in your article?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or

Isn't that better?

That's pretty much the only useful thing in the Tongue and Quill.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top