Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2014 1:26:44 AM EDT
Today I woke up feeling well slept and happy.  I stretched and yawned for a second and life was good.  Then I realized that I should not feel this well slept, it's Friday. I picked up my cell phone which is my normal alarm clock.  The OS was locked up.  I told it to reboot and looked over at my back up old alarm clock. Blinking 12:00, 12:00, 12:00.  FUCK ME, power went out and my phone locked up.  As my phone was rebooting I was hoping against hope that it wasn't past my work start time.  Turns out it was 12 noon.....well past.

Then I see 11 missed calls and 7 text messages. All from my mother, my wife and....my boss.  Turns out that my boss called my mother (I have worked for him for 13 years, he knows her) to find out wtf was going on.  My mother then called my wife who called me a number of times and texted.  The last text (the first one I read) said ok then since you are not responding I am leaving work to come home (I work from home).  If I hear the alarm still going off when I come in the door I am assuming you are dead and I am not coming in the bedroom, I am calling 911.

I start to text her back, don't come I am fine but before I can send it she comes in the back door. She is releaved I am fine and VERY luckily my boss thought it was funny.  This cannot happen again.

I need an old school plug in the wall alarm clock that is loud as hell and has at least one nights worth of battery backup.  Please advise.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If you truly want an alarm clock that is so fucking loud it will literally have motel guests kicking your adjacent walls then go to a truck stop or even Amazon and buy yourself a Screaming Meanie alarm.
No one alive will sleep through that alarm.
I should know.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive used this one before.  Fucking loud - put it across the room so you have to get out of bed.
Battery only, so may not fit exactly what you want.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#3]
i have really bad hearing so i use this...

battery powered
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Screaming meanie... You can get them at truck stops. They're for truckers to make sure they don't oversleep. 110db of hate every morning.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Get yourself a Big Ben alarm clock.

If you can put up with the loud ticking then the alarm will damn sure wake you up.

You gotta remember to wind it up though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Screaming meanie... You can get them at truck stops. They're for truckers to make sure they don't oversleep. 110db of hate every morning.
View Quote

These seem battery only though?  The ones I found on amazon at least.  Do they come in A/C with a battery backup?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol at the title.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think so as they are meant for truckers,long distance motorcycle competitors and those that sleep with a near coma state on a regular basis.
Don't worry about a battery friend.
When that 110db fucker goes off you WILL wake up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TAS9XQ?cache=5a4f809fbbfa4de145409e167a426a05&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1412401990&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I saw this clock. It will make you get out of bed to turn it off, as it rolls away.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you truly want an alarm clock that is so fucking loud it will literally have motel guests kicking your adjacent walls then go to a truck stop or even Amazon and buy yourself a Screaming Meanie alarm.

I should know.
View Quote
Sent this suggestion to my sister.  She has 5 set in her room and still sleeps through them part of the time.  When we were kids she was always the light sleeper.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think so as they are meant for truckers,long distance motorcycle competitors and those that sleep with a near coma state on a regular basis.
View Quote

I understand it's loud, 110db is fucking loud but I don't want to miss a day because the battery died in the night.  Is there something of the same get the fuck upness but usually runs on A/C with a battery backup?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:04:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I use my old cell phone as my alarm works great. Plenty of juice if the power goes out. It'll still go off even if the power is out. On airplane mode it lasts around a week unplugged. Just use some sort of loud sound file as your alarm sound.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use my old cell phone as my alarm works great. Plenty of juice if the power goes out. It'll still go off even if the power is out. On airplane mode it lasts around a week unplugged. Just use some sort of loud sound file as your alarm sound.
View Quote

Ask me how I know you didn't read my original post
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I should know.
View Quote

I will sleep through that alarm.  

I should know.

I am deaf.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:15:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I should know.
View Quote

This right here, it is hellacios.  I am a very heavy sleeper so I used it when I was deployed the first morning it went off it woke up 90% of the people in the camp.  They were not happy with me.

It uses piezo screachers not speakers so the 9 volt battery lasts years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Get two (or more) of whatever you choose. Set the alarm 5-10 minutes apart with different tones, away from the bed so you have to get up. Even better, place one behind the curtains so you get, depending on when you wake and where you live, a blast of sunlight. I had a tough two month period where I would sleep past the normal alarm "system" and a combination of the above never let me down.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:17:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I understand it's loud, 110db is fucking loud but I don't want to miss a day because the battery died in the night.  Is there something of the same get the fuck upness but usually runs on A/C with a battery backup?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My father in law is a trucker and has at least one Screaming Meanie. It's hella loud. But not much over about 90dB. Certainly not the 110-120dB that they claim it is.

110dB is a very, very, very loud rock and roll concert, standing right up against the arrays. 120dB is the threshold of pain. Repeated exposures to these levels will cause permeant hearing damage.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My father in law is a trucker and has at least one Screaming Meanie. It's hella loud. But not much over about 90dB. Certainly not the 110-120dB that they claim it is.

110dB is a very, very, very loud rock and roll concert, standing right up against the arrays. 120dB is the threshold of pain. Repeated exposures to these levels will cause permeant hearing damage.
View Quote

Huh that's odd, the one I have is painful to hold at arms length when its going off.

Edit:  I just read the description on amazon and they have 3 volume levels. 70/90/120 dbz.  So it is very possible his is set to 90.  Mine is a quite old one with one level.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I really like the concept of the screaming meanie, but I don't need something mobile, if it ran of A/C primarily I would have bought it 15 minutes ago.  I work from home and would prefer something that doesn't "need" batteries but plugs in and uses a battery for backup if the power goes out.  I found what I want, it's called the "sonic bomb" but some reading revealed the 9v battery powers the memory to keep the time and alarm settings, but it would not sound if power is lost.  Which is unfortunate.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This right here, it is hellacios.  I am a very heavy sleeper so I used it when I was deployed the first morning it went off it woke up 90% of the people in the camp.  They were not happy with me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should know.

Really?  Actual years?  If so, this may be my answer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#22]
My current alarm clock, very fucking loud, the disc on the side is a bed vibrator, have it, don't need it.  Vibrates the bed, floor, house...
You can adjust tone, volume, and those three lights above time display are super bright LEDs that flash.
This fucker WILL wake you up.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Are you handy with a soldering iron?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been using this alarm clock for almost 6 years.  It also comes with a little module that you put under the pillow that vibrates.

Never slept through it.

That I'm not sure.  I've had the power go out before, but it was always back on by the time the alarm went off.  I'll have to check it out when I get home.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:29:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My current alarm clock, very fucking loud, the disc on the side is a bed vibrator, have it, don't need it.  Vibrates the bed, floor, house...
You can adjust tone, volume, and those three lights above time display are super bright LEDs that flash.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3170rbE3vsL.jpg
View Quote

Yep, that's the one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been using this alarm clock for almost 6 years.  It also comes with a little module that you put under the pillow that vibrates.

Never slept through it.
View Quote

Does the alarm sound if the power is out?  Reviews say it does not. The battery just saves the time and the alarm time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#27]
My last job entailed 101 hrs. work per week.  This got me up, it even has a vibrator part which you place between the mattress and boxspring.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sonic-Alert-Boom-Alarm-Clock-BB500SS/15707865

People in the adjacent room likened it to the back up alarms you would hear in a construction zone.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My last job entailed 101 hrs. work per week.  This got me up, it even has a vibrator part which you place between the mattress and boxspring.
People in the adjacent room likened it to the back up alarms you would hear in a construction zone.  
View Quote

Again does the alarm go off if the power is out?  This is what screwed me today.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:33:50 AM EDT
[#29]
There was an alarm clock I saw a while back that when it goes off, if you don't react to it, it starts randomly dialing numbers off of your phone, and puts it over the loudspeaker.

The sheer fear factor of it calling the company owner at 0500 would have me springing out of bed every morning!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:37:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Huh that's odd, the one I have is painful to hold at arms length when its going off.

Edit:  I just read the description on amazon and they have 3 volume levels. 70/90/120 dbz.  So it is very possible his is set to 90.  Mine is a quite old one with one level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His was set at the highest level.

Most people have no idea how incredibly loud 110dB is. I'm a full time professional sound engineer and my ears start to hurt much above 95dB. At that point I reach for my custom molded earplugs to prevent hearing damage.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does the alarm sound if the power is out?  Reviews say it does not. The battery just saves the time and the alarm time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never slept through it.

Not sure.  I've had the power go out before, but it was always back on by the time the alarm went off.  I'll check when I go home.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:37:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should know.

Yes actually years, as in I bought it, put a Duracell in it and, didn't chang e it for almost two years.  If I were going to buy a new one I would get the 220 as it is a real alarm clock, not just a timer like mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not sure.  I've had the power go out before, but it was always back on by the time the alarm went off.  I'll check when I go home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never slept through it.

Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes actually years, as in I bought it, put a Duracell in it and, didn't chang e it for almost two years.  If I were going to buy a new one I would get the 220 as it is a real alarm clock, not just a timer like mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should know.

If the sonic bomb alarm that others have described doesn't go off with no grid power I will purchase this. Thanks for your advice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plus this and you'll definitely get up.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://www.baseballrampage.com/productphotos/2085_display.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3170rbE3vsL.jpg

http://www.baseballrampage.com/productphotos/2085_display.jpg

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how to read!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I should know.

I am deaf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should know.

I should know.

I am deaf.

What kind of alarm does a deaf person use?
Never thought about it before but now Im curious.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I remember doing clinicals for nursing school.  Start time was 6:30 AM, 2 days a week for 8 weeks each rotation.  If you were late more than twice in a single rotation, you failed the program.  If you were more than a half hour late without contacting your instructor ahead of time it was a no call no show.  You were allowed one no call no show for the entire length of the program, on the second one you failed.

Had my phone fully charged with 5 alarms on it and a cheapo alarm clock with a battery backup.  Halfway through the program there were so many people who failed out for attendance alone I usually woke up a half hour before the alarms even went off...despite not passing out till 2 AM
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:35:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
God in heaven!

How does anyone over 17 accidentally sleep to noon? Even if I wake up a night and can't get back to sleep I couldn't do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God in heaven!

How does anyone over 17 accidentally sleep to noon? Even if I wake up a night and can't get back to sleep I couldn't do that.

As you get older, regularly being awoken with the realization that you have to pee, pee now, helps avoid oversleeping.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should know.

I should know.

I am deaf.

Devices that vibrate and start flashing really bright lights.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#44]

I use my Tablet and just the screen lighting up will wake me up.
I hate being a light sleeper
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Again does the alarm go off if the power is out?  This is what screwed me today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If power was the only thing that screwed you, you could always buy a small UPS and put your alarm clock on it.

If you felt ambitious, you always build one of my portable power stations: BUILD TUTORIAL
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#46]
A Drill Sergeant

ENLIST TODAY!

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 9v lasts forever in these and when you set it the clock lets you know if the battery is low.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I should know.
View Quote

THIS.

I had one years ago. Worked great. Once I didn't wake up right away with it because I had only got about 4 hours of sleep in 2 days. I slept through probably 3 minutes of it going off and my ears rang the whole day.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should know.

I should know.

I am deaf.

At home I use this:   http://www.sonicalert.com/Alarm-Clock-with-Super-Shaker-TM-p/sb200ss.htm

When I am out travelling, I use this: http://www.sonicalert.com/Sonic-Shaker-TM-p/sbp100.htm

I put the shaker under my mattress, NOT under my pillow.  With it under the mattress, it will shake the entire bed.  

No lights flashing, I don't need that. I am not a heavy sleeper.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#50]
haven't used an alrm for over 10 years

Decide what time I need to get up in the morning 2am - 6:30am, neer over slept once.

Never could sleep past 7:30 no matter what
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top