Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 8:37:54 PM EDT
My grandfather had to travel to a funeral of a family member that passed. Apparently everyone there had this nasty flu and he caught it on his trip home. He is stuck in a hotel in Durant OK, and has been laid up there for 2 days with severe nausea and everything else. By talking with him he sounds dehydrated since he can't keep anything down.

The problem is he is stubborn as a fucking mule. He will not go to the hospital, first because he is stubborn, second because he has some heirlooms he is bringing back and won't leave them in the car or the hotel. I need someone to run to the local pharmacy and grab a prescription for him and drop it off outside his door. I don't have any family in the area and looking for a brother to help another brother out. If anybody can help please let me know and I can get you all the details.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
That doesn't sound like the flu.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Cross post in OK hometown forum for best results.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, I'm in PA, so all I have for you is a bump to the top.

Have you tried the OK Home Town Forum too?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Move him and or upgrade to a room with a safe.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have all the details on his symptoms. It's being relayed through my mother. Apparently it was what put his sister n law in the hospital and she never recovered. Apparently the whole family came down with it. He didn't get it until later since he was late to the party due to driving from  2 states away to get there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Ebola

Eta:
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Move him and or upgrade to a room with a safe.
View Quote
I guess he is bringing back some exotic long guns so they won't fit in a hotel safe. Plus you don't realize that he is stubborn as a mule. This is a man who in his 70's had a motor home fall on him while changing a flat, shattering his collarbone, refused medical attention after the trooper pulled him out and then he drove the other half of the country home before seeing a doc and needing surgery.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
IM sent OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget that Tinker AFB is near by, the chiefs group might be able to help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hope it works out!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you guys for your help. This place never ceases to amaze me. When one of us truly needs it we put all the bickering aside and we get shit done. I've seen it time and time again and it just amazes me what complete strangers will do for each other. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad someone could help out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I bet a six pack that he is a paratrooper.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad you got some help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't have all the details on his symptoms. It's being relayed through my mother. Apparently it was what put his sister n law in the hospital and she never recovered. Apparently the whole family came down with it. He didn't get it until later since he was late to the party due to driving from  2 states away to get there.
View Quote

you're saying whatever she got. made her pass away and your step dad caught it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. I'm saying she was old and feeble and got sick. She was on her last leg anyways. It's sad, but she was in her mid 90's. And yes, my grandfather caught whatever flu she had the same as everyone else there. It isn't Ebola, it isn't the plague. But when you are 93 or whatever he is, shit kicks your ass a little easier than when you are 20

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope he recovers and all goes well for him, and make sit home safe, but how can he be in his seventies and be a WWII vet?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I hope he recovers and all goes well for him, and make sit home safe, but how can he be in his seventies and be a WWII vet?
View Quote
He's 92 or 93. I mentioned a story about him describing how damn stubborn he was that happened about 20 years ago when he was in his 70's.

He stormed Utah beach on D-day, has a purple heart he earned in the Battle of the Bulge. He's been there and done that. I will have to dig out his memoirs up and post them up. I wish he would have gone into depth in his writings about the events like when he earned his purple heart, he wrote more about stealing potatoes from farmers and frying them up in their helmets, it's still a good read, I just always have had so many questions but too afraid to ask I guess.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He's 92 or 93. I mentioned a story about him describing how damn stubborn he was that happened about 20 years ago when he was in his 70's.    

He stormed Utah beach on D-day, has a purple heart he earned in the Battle of the Bulge. He's been there and done that. I will have to dig out his memoirs up and post them up. I wish he would have gone into depth in his writings about the events like when he earned his purple heart, he wrote more about stealing potatoes from farmers and frying them up in their helmets, it's still a good read, I just always have had so many questions but too afraid to ask I guess.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, sorry, see that now, tried to read thread faster than I should. Any updates?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#20]
hope he gets well
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK, sorry, see that now, tried to read thread faster than I should. Any updates?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've heard the medication has stopped the nausea and he was able to get some food and liquids in him and keep it down. I have an aunt that is driving from texas this morning and going to drive him the rest of the way home to Arkansas this morning.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My grandfather had to travel to a funeral of a family member that passed. Apparently everyone there had this nasty flu and he caught it on his trip home. He is stuck in a hotel in Durant OK, and has been laid up there for 2 days with severe nausea and everything else. By talking with him he sounds dehydrated since he can't keep anything down.

The problem is he is stubborn as a fucking mule. He will not go to the hospital, first because he is stubborn, second because he has some heirlooms he is bringing back and won't leave them in the car or the hotel. I need someone to run to the local pharmacy and grab a prescription for him and drop it off outside his door. I don't have any family in the area and looking for a brother to help another brother out. If anybody can help please let me know and I can get you all the details.
View Quote

Why aren't you calling the hotel and asking them to do this? You're literally asking strangers on the Internet. Before anyone says the hotel employees are strangers too, they are more likely to actually do this and they already know who his grandfather is and where he is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why aren't you calling the hotel and asking them to do this? You're literally asking strangers on the Internet. Before anyone says the hotel employees are strangers too, they are more likely to actually do this and they already know who his grandfather is and where he is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you underestimate the membership here.

ETA: I guess it does seem strange to ask for help from someone you don't know personally. But, there've been too many times the membership has stepped up for strangers for me to write off this means of getting some help to his grandpa.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hotel would most likely call 911 and let the medics handle it. The hotel would be fearful of a lawsuit, especially a person of that age.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

ETA: I guess it does seem strange to ask for help from someone you don't know personally. But, there've been too many times the membership has stepped up for strangers for me to write off this means of getting some help to his grandpa.

View Quote

There are several members on here who I have never met, however I would still trust them with the keys to my house. The trolls and troublemakers on here are loud enough to draw the most attention, but when you look past the noise and distraction the majority of the members here are damn fine decent folk.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, I have had a bunch of great Americans in the SF help me out in 2011!

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hotel would most likely call 911 and let the medics handle it. The hotel would be fearful of a lawsuit, especially a person of that age.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably depends on the hotel. I've sent them out for everything from a four pack of red bull at 4 am to picking up some fried chicken and my dry cleaning. Picking up a prescription is probably pretty common. I just would just be careful how I worded things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Probably depends on the hotel. I've sent them out for everything from a four pack of red bull at 4 am to picking up some fried chicken and my dry cleaning. Picking up a prescription is probably pretty common. I just would just be careful how I worded things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From the sound of it the gentleman was in serious condition and close to dehydration. I would imagine the staff would have called 911 when they saw what condition he was in. As for going and getting items for guests, yeah most places will do it. Or with enough $$$ a hotel employee will handle it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the first call I made. They only had one clerk on and he said he would see if he could get an employee to do it, I even offered to pay for thier time but none would do it. Yes, that would have been the easiest and most simple thing to do, but they wouldnt do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, There are good people on here in spite of the asshatery. This is a response I would expect from both of these posters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top