Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 7:44:55 PM EDT
ally the Hive Ninjas...

Actually, I don't think it is irresponsible, but I am sure half the world will.

Backstory - I came home to find two toy "Sai" in the floor.  They were made of plastic, candy, and garbage.  I asked my wife where they came from and she accused either her folks or mine of buying them for my kid.  Apparently, he wants to be a ninja for Halloween this year and asked for these as part of the costume.  The thing is, I hate paying real money for toy garbage.  Also, when I was a kid, I really wanted real weapons - basically just like the South Park episode.  I remember when the moron neighbor kids had nunchuks.  I wanted them so bad, and of course my folks just said no.  Probably a good thing, too.  However, these "Sai" look about as dangerous as a fire place poker.

So, I figure on just buying some real ones for my kid.  Perhaps this is a bad idea, and maybe nothing good can come of it, but I can always use them as a teaching tool about responsibility etc, and considering they lack a blade and aren't even pointy, I feel pretty confident the only harm done will be to the sensibility of others.  Anyway, I want to buy a set for him, but How The Fuck Do I Buy These Things?  I'm not a ninja, and my childhood dreams of becoming one are all dead.  I don't know where they come from, I don't know what they eat - I don't know how to pick good ones, I don't know how to avoid getting fleeced.  But I do know that someone here has likely already bought them.  So where do I start?  Recommendations?  Information on reputable makers?  HALP!

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not make the some out of laminated wood?

It would be a good project, they would get a sturdy toy, and it wouldn't cost you hardly anything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Make them out of 1/2" pvc for the grips. Add a dowle for the pokey part.

Cost 2 bucks and the kids can fight with then w/o killing each other.

At least that's what I did

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Try google...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the best plan.

Or you can make these:
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How old is son?

Offhand I'd say it's a stupid idea.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
There was a martial arts store in Ann Arbor my mom would take me to when I was a kid.  Loved that place.  Got real deal sai, nunchuks, ninja stars,  and a ninja uniform.  Good times.

Still remember the name, Kim's martial arts.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]
they come from the state fair. get some ninja stars while your at it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]

I'd go with this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]
flea market
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Your boy is going to learn a lesson in consequence in his near future.

As a young boy I remember thinking - "I think I know what happens when I hit dad in the knee with this stick, but is that really what happens? Gotta try it, at least once, just to be sure."
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ally the Hive Ninjas...

Backstory - I came home to find two toy "Sai" in the floor.  They were made of plastic, candy, and garbage.  I asked my wife where they came from and she accused either her folks or mine of buying them for my kid.  Apparently, he wants to be a ninja for Halloween this year and asked for these as part of the costume.  The thing is, I hate paying real money for toy garbage.  Also, when I was a kid, I really wanted real weapons - basically just like the South Park episode.  I remember when the moron neighbor kids had nunchuks.  I wanted them so bad, and of course my folks just said no.  Probably a good thing, too.  However, these "Sai" look about as dangerous as a fire place poker.

So, I figure on just buying some real ones for my kid.  Perhaps this is a bad idea, and maybe nothing good can come of it, but I can always use them as a teaching tool about responsibility etc, and considering they lack a blade and aren't even pointy, I feel pretty confident the only harm done will be to the sensibility of others.  Anyway, I want to buy a set for him, but How The Fuck Do I Buy These Things?  I'm not a ninja, and my childhood dreams of becoming one are all dead.  I don't know where they come from, I don't know what they eat - I don't know how to pick good ones, I don't know how to avoid getting fleeced.  But I do know that someone here has likely already bought them.  So where do I start?  Recommendations?  Information on reputable makers?  HALP!

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Are you kidding? Are you insane? Do you not watch the movies? Have you not seen how many people are murdered in the movies with fireplace pokers? Good lord almightyabove won't somebody think of the children!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How old is son?

View Quote

Go away, Safety Sarah.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd go with this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd go with this.

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]
They are illegal in some states a felony even in some. Check your laws first.

If they are legal, I don't see the big deal. Not sure where you'd buy them. Maybe ebay or amazon ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best plan.

Or you can make these:
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/hammer-nunchuk-weapon-620x517.jpg

Thats fucking awesome, but you give a kid hammer nunchucks and everything lookls like a nunchuck nail?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Those are cool!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your boy is going to learn a lesson in consequence in his near future.

As a young boy I remember thinking - "I think I know what happens when I hit dad in the knee with this stick, but is that really what happens? Gotta try it, at least once, just to be sure."
View Quote

I'm with you, but he has an E-tool and access to hammers and wrenches and other murderous devices and is mature enough with them to be trusted while being observed.  I certainly wouldn't let him go play with his friends with this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Go away, Safety Sarah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old is son?

Go away, Safety Sarah.

No shit.  Kids NEED weapons (at least if you ask him).  And when you have a need, that equals responsibility.  If he is anything like his old man, he will be sharpening sticks on rocks, or making blades from slate and quartz.  I'd just as soon teach him some more responsibility as have him doing this stuff on his own.  

And he is 6.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are illegal in some states a felony even in some. Check your laws first.

If they are legal, I don't see the big deal. Not sure where you'd buy them. Maybe ebay or amazon ?
View Quote

See this is my problem.  I wouldn't know a good one from a shitter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Amazon, 20 bucks.

My kid has a set somewhere.  He also carried a real katana with his Ninja costume on Halloween.  Fortunately, he is not retarded so there was no problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thats fucking awesome, but you give a kid hammer nunchucks and everything lookls like a nunchuck nail?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best plan.

Or you can make these:
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/hammer-nunchuk-weapon-620x517.jpg

Any kid that survives the first 30 seconds of owning such devices is worthy of carrying your name and bloodline.

Any that don't… well…  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best plan.

Or you can make these:

I dunno, a tier 1 ninja can frame a two-story house in three minutes flat. Lotta future job potential there . . .

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Any kid that survives the first 30 seconds of owning such devices is worthy of carrying your name and bloodline.

Any that don't… well…  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best plan.

Or you can make these:

Any that don't… well…  

lmao, i like your style
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#26]
uhh...'WOOF' . . . . . eehhh . . . . 'WOOF' . . .

...let's fighting , love .......

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ally the Hive Ninjas...

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

I don't know how old your boy is but if he's leaving toys in the floor, real ones might not be a great idea.

And I wouldn't call them harmless, particularly if he tries to use them. Nunchucka would be safer. Or a set of tonfas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top