Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 7:07:07 PM EDT
Looking to fly out to Europe for 2 weeks.  Their rates seem pretty cheap, but something about them is disconcerting.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheap rates means less money for maintenance
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes,      

Had a guard point an AK at me for taking pictures of the plane.  Tried to take my camera from me.  Didn't get it though.  I guess it was a national secret or something.

We flew on a semi converted cargo plane that had jump seats...This was a "commercial" flight.  We actually  had to pull the seats up from the deck of the plane in order to sit.  Had no seat belts.

We sat on the tarmac for over an hour in 90 degree heat without the plane running and no AC.  they don't waste fuel.

Took off and never really got any heat, so my sweat soaked ass froze the entire trip.

Flew from Moscow to Samara (camapa) Russia and back several times.  

Their international flights are somewhat better I hear.

This was back in 2001.  it may have improved some.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looking to fly out to Europe for 2 weeks.  Their rates seem pretty cheap, but something about them is disconcerting.

http://www.creativeroots.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/aeroflot_logo.jpg
View Quote

They're Russian?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're Russian?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're Russian?

Yeah
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, flown Aeroflot and some other Russian airlines.

Aeroflot places were nice. They were normal Western Airliners.

The pilots however, seemed to have forgotten that they were not flying a MIG, or an IL-76 dropping paratroopers over a hostile target. The landing approach was a little unconventional.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a friend fly Aeroflot about 20 years ago, indicated it set a new standard compared to every other airline, seeing a goat or chicken on board would not surprise him (as I recall the comments).

ETA

Did a search Flying with Goats linky

ETA2, the more I think about it he may have said there was a goat on board.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen tons of crash videos involving them
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
never heard of it
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
never heard of it
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I flew an IL-76 from Santo Domingo to Havana, the seat backs went all the way back, smoking WAS permitted, loud and the takeoff roll was unusually long, no one checked seat belts, it was an experience.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Flown, no. booked several in country flights with them. I two tries they couldnt manage to get an airplane that
worked and the third one had an engine smoking /on fire on approach and sitting on the ramp taking on passengers

15 mins later --took off with three engines running and 5 less passengers - we ended up taking a train to the next city and

Digital hired a charter plane for my boss after that.  Right around 93-94. They may have improved since then.

Knowing Russians and how they "fix" stuff I doubt it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
never heard of it

What?

WOW!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Been on hundreds of Soviet flights.  Each one a memory.  Do it!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
They lost an Airbus because the pilot let his son take the controls ON TAKEOFF.

I don't believe I'll be booking with them anytime soon. Russia is like an entire country of all the retarded headlines that this country keeps confined to Florida.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
As someone who works in aviation, I wouldn't use that company.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I would avoid Russian airlines.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes

Main article: Aeroflot accidents and incidents in the 1960s

Main article: Aeroflot accidents and incidents in the 1970s

Main article: Aeroflot accidents and incidents in the 1980s

Main article: Aeroflot accidents and incidents in the 1990s

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They lost an Airbus because the pilot let his son take the controls ON TAKEOFF.

I don't believe I'll be booking with them anytime soon. Russia is like an entire country of all the retarded headlines that this country keeps confined to Florida.
View Quote

I've been binge-watching that Air Disasters show for the last week, so this one was fresh in my mind.  The relief pilot didn't let his son take the controls during takeoff, he brought his children to the cockpit while in flight, let them sit in the Captain's chair and move the stick around while the autopilot was on.  He told them to move it left and adjusted the autopilot to bank left, to let them feel like they were flying the plane.  His daughter did not apply enough force to deactivate the autopilot, but his son was jerking around with the stick long enough to get it to turn off.

Doesn't excuse what he did, but this was another time.  2 decades ago, pre-9/11, etc.  A pilot showing his kids the cockpit wasn't frowned on - putting one in the Captain's chair was.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would avoid Russian airlines.
View Quote

Being familiar with the Russian outlook on life, they way they "maintain" equipment, and seeing that equipment after it was "maintained", I will not fly in a Russian-built or operated aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I've flown on several of the Nigerian regional airlines. Flown on their junk russian jets. That always scares the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cheap rates means less money for maintenance
View Quote

Bingo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top