Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 6:34:39 PM EDT
Holy shit this class sucks. And it's a prereq for the last few Bio electives I have to take, so no getting out of it. It's harder than fucking O-Chem.

52 on the first test. Motherfucker. I'm gonna drink now.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Drinking will fix the problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I reckon so.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a joke somewhere there, about the OP failing the genetics lottery before even taking the class...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of classes, several were entirely focused on genetics, and many others touched on it in a few sections.  I liked it and did well.  Study harder, and no, the drinking won't help.

ETA:  Harder than o-chem???  You are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you know anybody else in your class?  Ask them what they got to see if you are alone.  I had a pathology class where I got a 64 on the 2nd test and started freaking out.  I texted a couple people from my class and turned out I got one of the best grades on it.  Some tests aren't really designed for people to do well.

Regardless though, yeah, study harder or change your study methods.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Lots of classes, several were entirely focused on genetics, and many others touched on it in a few sections.  I liked it and did well.  Study harder, and no, the drinking won't help.

View Quote
I haven't taken a science class in about 5 years, but when I was a bio major at A&M I was pretty good at chemistry. The first half of the class (o-chem) was a complete breeze for me. The second half gave me more trouble. I made a B in the end.

I think a lot of it has to do with the guy teaching this Genetics class. The questions on the test come straight from the book, but the tests are 25 questions, and there are around 50 questions at the end of each chapter. No real way to know what he's going to ask, and he doesn't provide any kind of study guide or anything. He openly admits he makes the class hard on purpose, harder than it already is.

I just need a C. And yes, I should study harder for the next test.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Get ur Chi square on

That's all I remember from HS AP bio 40 yrs ago

Recessive and dominant genes yuck
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Took both genetics and evolution. I didn't find them too difficult.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I took a biology class, does that count?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Where you at?  University wise.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Boo-freakin-hoo. Get back to studying.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't taken a science class in about 5 years, but when I was a bio major at A&M I was pretty good at chemistry. The first half of the class (o-chem) was a complete breeze for me. The second half gave me more trouble. I made a B in the end.  

I think a lot of it has to do with the guy teaching this Genetics class. The questions on the test come straight from the book, but the tests are 25 questions, and there are around 50 questions at the end of each chapter. No real way to know what he's going to ask, and he doesn't provide any kind of study guide or anything. He openly admits he makes the class hard on purpose, harder than it already is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Devote more time to studying and know how to do all 50 off those problems.  I have had teachers like this that gave me the questions before the tests and do very well in the class.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Devote more time to studying and know how to do all 50 off those problems.  I have had teachers like this that gave me the questions before the tests and do very well in the class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are about 7 chapters per test, so it's more like 350 problems. I'm sure I'll make it, it's just fairly frustrating for a class that means so little in terms of my actual degree.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I took genetics and it was a cast iron bitch. Luckily for me in the lab section my lab group  consisted of a Biology Major, a Biochemistry Major and Pre-med major (I have a degree in Agronomy). They took pity on me and helped me pass the lab section, I was able to pass the lecture (just barely) on my own.

Compared to Genetics, Organic Chem was a breeze.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
BTDT..

i went thru 2 sets of Fruit Flies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I needed to take two more electives before my Junior year (as a Fine Arts major), and one was Anthropology.

First half of the semester was a study of evolution, the second half was in-depth genetics.

Genetics was as boring as dried shit, but if I could pass the exams and get an A for the semester, then I'm sure you can too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't worry, you'll get to learn how equipment works that is so expensive, they'd never let you touch it until grad school
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Never took it
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, but I haven't taken it yet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I took genetics and it was a cast iron bitch. Luckily for me in the lab section my lab group  consisted of a Biology Major, a Biochemistry Major and Pre-med major (I have a degree in Agronomy). They took pity on me and helped me pass the lab section, I was able to pass the lecture (just barely) on my own.

View Quote

So....can you like tell me which leaves I need to crush up and add water to, to use as fuel en lieu of unleaded?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I reckon so.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I reckon so.  

You'll go far in that class OP
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#23]
bio engineering is the future, and it is all about genetics. if we don't get whacked by an asteroid or some other calamity, the future will be very,very interesting. get focused and get your grades up OP.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Took genetics years ago from a drunk polish dude.  Hard as fuck, but animal physiology was made me want to cry...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Who'd you have at A&M for O-Chem? I had Santander.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Fucking embryology was my nut kicker.  
Genetics wasn't too bad, maybe I had a soft Professor.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
College is a rip off and a scam.

You could easily learn genetics in an apprenticeship program.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are some degrees that are highly politically motivated and which result in job opportunities exclusively from government and academia..but a lot of skilled professions require the successful completion of a college program.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s407/TheyCallMeG-92/AlrightyThen.gif

He's being facetious.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I uploaded a bunch of genetic material in some chickie snacks.

I consider myself a S.M.E.

Ask away.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I did. I thought it was very interesting. I had to do a paper on genetic disorders in dogs caused by selective breeding. Aced it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s407/TheyCallMeG-92/AlrightyThen.gif

You must have missed the thread while you were drinking,..er...I mean studying.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I actually enjoyed it.  The professor you have (in my experience) is a really big factor in liking, or hating a class.

Immunology was probably the most difficult class I encountered.  My most hated professor, however, was physiology.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top