Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 6:10:36 PM EDT
I have a Crickett I have setup as a cheap survival rifle, but I don't like the fact that working the bolt action doesn't cock the rifle.

The Savage Rascal does and am thinking about getting one.

Bud's has them around $150 with free shipping.

Anyone have one?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Savage Cub G and the Rascal looks like its a Cub G with a different stock.  I believe there are no other differences...

My Cub is an awesome little rifle.  The fact that it does not need to be cocked separately was a factor.  Its easier to load than some of the other singles  too, since there is something of a mini 'feedramp' in the action.  Drop a cartridge on the ramp, and close the bolt.  It feeds flawlessly.  No need to try and stuff something like a .22 short into that little action with fat fingers.

It is accurate.  Off hand, with this little gun, anything under the size of an apple is in very grave danger out to a good 80 yards.  That's pretty damned good for a small rifle like this.

I also find that between the simplified feeding and automatic cock on closing, the little rifle can be used with surprising speed.

I've had mine for about 8 years or so, and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Fro
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Cricket I did up as a compact survival rifle and will tell you point blank
the Savage is a much better rig.

Better for kids too.

Has a real safety, a nice trigger, good system.

I've shot them at demo's and played with them and am looking to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I was going to try and order one at the Walmart down the street, but their catalog has a ton of Savage rifles but not the Rascal...

Academy sells them but none of the local stores have one.

Looks like Bud's it is then.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Cub as well. Awesome gun for the money! Buy it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Cub as well. Awesome gun for the money! Buy it.
View Quote

i think the savage has a feed ramp. you drop the round in the action and close the bolt,
instead of putting the round in the chamber. i have been looking into these also.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Forgot about Dicks, will head there this morning and see if they have one, they list it on their website.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a LH Rascal for my now 10 year old daughter last year. IMHO, it's the best trainer on the market for small kids. It has a good trigger and sights, and comes with sling studs. I can shoot it fine, although of course the LOP is too short for me. If you want a single shot .22 for a survival rifle, a Rascal with a plastic stock is going to be the #1 choice, again IMO.

ETA: The Rascal and my Savage Mark IIGL in .22 LR both seem to have fairly tight chambers. If you're going to be shooting a lot of wax lubricated ammo in one session you'll want to make sure you have a way to clean the chamber because the cases will start to stick after 50 rounds or so in warm weather. This does not happen with copper plated ammo.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The Rascal blows the Cricket out of the water in terms of features and quality, and still costs less than two bills.  The Cricket just has more name recognition and is under $100, so I think a lot of people don't bother researching before buying.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#9]
They shoot well and are accurate. Fun little guns.

I buy a couple of boxes of the Winchester 22 shot shells.
Stand on the shore of a small pond and wing shoot dragonflies and mayflies with it.
Great time killer and is a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought one for my son when he was born. He's only 9mo. right now, so it'll be a few years still before he can use it. I got a little over zealous.

I looked at all youth 22lr offerings. The Rascal was hands down the best. Fit and finish feels and looks better than the Cricket. Also has Accu-trigger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two for my kids and they're great trainer rifles. Obviously the LOP is short but I can shoot that just as well as any other 22LR. They're great rifles for the money IMO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]
My kid  has a Rascal.  Nice shooter overall but the rear peep sight gets loose all the time and is a little hard to adjust prescisely.  Solved that by putting a scope on it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Rascal is much better than the Cricket.  No need to cock separately, way better trigger, good peep sight though it's a pain to adjust.  They both are small and lightweight so that's a draw.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
if your going with a single shot, why not get a Rossi 22/410 combo or NEF?
you said "survival gun", so why not have the shotgun option?

with the nef you could get a 20 gauge that shoots on the same frame as the 22,,,,,
price is about the same as a single shot bolt gun
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Capnrob,

An earlier poster mentioned a tight chamber....  I love my Cub, but ya, they might have a tight chamber.  Never a problem feeding anything, but if I fire a bunch of shorts (which leave a dirty chamber in just forward of the case mouth which later catch on LR cases) or simply fire a whole bunch of dirty ammo, the rifle will start to hang up on extraction.  The little extractor will slide over the rim of a stick case, leaving the case in the rifle.  They pop put easy with a knife or screwdriver but I cannot get enough fingernail in there to get it done without some sort of tool.

The cure is simple:  A small brass .22 pistol brush.  Remove bolt, insert brush into chamber, and give it a twist.  Remove brush and reinstall bolt.  You are good to go.... You are simply removing the build of crud and crap in the chamber.  Everything returns to normal.  You can find simple twisted wire handle and pistol brush all in one..  I usually find these at gunshows and mil surp places for about a buck.

Just something to consider if you buy one for dedicated survival purposes.  If its got a reasonably clean chamber, its a champ.  

Fro
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I think you would be better suited for a savage mkII youth, detachable mag and can single shot in about the same size. Or a 1022 takedown or sbr ;)
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#17]
No go at Dicks.

I will try Gander Mtn. one of these days.

I wonder if these are more common at Christmas time?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No go at Dicks.

View Quote

Ok, Gander Mountain is cool for this.

I ordered one with a green stock online and it will be delivered to the St. Augustine store.

I don't know of any other retailer that lets you buy a firearm online and have it delivered to the local store.

Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I ordered one with a green stock online and it will be delivered to the St. Augustine store.

I don't know of any other retailer that lets you buy a firearm online and have it delivered to the local store.

Pretty cool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No go at Dicks.

Pretty cool.

We will expect pictures and a full range report. I am also interested in this.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Crickett I have setup as a cheap survival rifle, but I don't like the fact that working the bolt action doesn't cock the rifle.

The Savage Rascal does and am thinking about getting one.

Bud's has them around $150 with free shipping.

Anyone have one?
View Quote

I sure do!  I had the barrel threaded (front site is plenty tall enough to see over a can, and set far enough back from the muzzle that it doesn't need to be moved)  With a light weight .22 can and a box of subsonic ammo it is a hoot!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I am reading they are pretty damn accurate, nice trigger too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is a video review on these, can't wait to pick mine up at Gander.

This little gun is going to be a blast to shoot, I think.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup, great little rifles.

I bought one for my daughter, I use it for a pack rifle.

3 lbs with ammo on the sling, super well built compared to the cricket, and so nice having the little feed ramp in the action.

They are a lot louder than the bigger rifles though, the barrel is 16.25" I think.

You sort of have to chicken wing it to shoot it too, but it's not a huge deal if you are going for weight savings.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I actually sighted mine in with the irons and then put a small scope on it, I figured if it was a pack rifle it would possibly be needed at night or in failing light. Plus for coon hunting iron sights just don't cut it, so the scope and a cheap DX light are a killer combo on it while still keeping it pretty compact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top