Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2014 4:21:45 PM EDT
Scientists have created a crystalline material that can pull all the oxygen out of room with just a spoonful. And it can release that oxygen when and where it's needed. What some have dubbed the Aquaman crystal offers tantalizing promise for those tethered to bulky equipment.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sign me up... But I will miss my Halcyon gear.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Now that's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you didn't hit stagnant water.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Scientists have created a crystalline material that can pull all the oxygen out of room with just a spoonful. And it can release that oxygen when and where it's needed. What some have dubbed the Aquaman crystal offers tantalizing promise for those tethered to bulky equipment.

View Quote

Sounds like dangerous assed stuff.

Lots of O2 in a small space, can pull it from a room....

Cops come by open the closed room and can't figure out what killed the person because it's in a dish washer detergent box under the sink.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
We better ban it. It could also be used as a weapon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

For the kids, right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.  I wonder if it's a controlled release and how much heat (if any) the reaction generates.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like a never ending supply of o2 for my oxy propane torch please!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well since you don't dive 100% O2, this entire thing is fucking stupid. Not saying it wouldn't have many applications, but straight scuba ain't one of them
ETA. This could probably be adapted to a rebreather but you would need more efficient CO2 scrubbers
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://news.discovery.com/adventure/new-crystal-could-let-divers-breathe-underwater-141002.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Cops come by open the closed room and can't figure out what killed the person because it's in a dish washer detergent box under the sink.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://news.discovery.com/adventure/new-crystal-could-let-divers-breathe-underwater-141002.htm#mkcpgn=rssnws1

First thing that I thought of as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]

I think I read somewhere that the "corrected" version of this is that

it take about 10 liters of material to suck up a roomful of oxygen, not a spoonful.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
SCUBA hell...

This could fundamentally alter pretty much everything that involves combustion....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
First line of story negates the tech savvy of the reporter.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Considering that it is generally considered dangerous to breathe pure oxygen below 20fsw (~1.6ata pp02), I say this is BS.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

DSS is better value for money.  With that being said, I bought a 30lbs Eclipse before learning about DSS.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm dubious of such claims.
And if it is real, get ready for lots and lots of fires when people release oxygen in the wrong place at the wrong time
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ha! came to post this.  Sure sounds like it could be used for nefarious purposes also.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well since you don't dive 100% O2, this entire thing is fucking stupid. Not saying it wouldn't have many applications, but straight scuba ain't one of them
ETA. This could probably be adapted to a rebreather but you would need more efficient CO2 scrubbers
View Quote

If you kept your depth less than 20 feet, you would be fine.

At more than 20 feet, well........

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Screw diving-think about the possibilities it has as an oxidizer. New fuels, more potent energetic materials, the eventual uses for long term space exploration... And if they can figure something out that will bond with carbon permanently, stuff hippies full of it as a carbon sink in areas like China, where they're pumping greenhouse gasses out like something out of a Dickens novel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like all you would need to execute a condemned prisoner is to have an airtight room and a cup full of this stuff to me...

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I won't miss lugging those manifolded doubles and stages though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not ever workable for a diving system unless worked into a re breather system. Breathing is about pulling in a little O2 and breathing out a lot of CO2. if you don't have the volume of gas available to breath normally you will die regardless of the amount of O2 available.
That's on top of the O2 toxicity issues.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not ever workable for a diving system unless worked into a re breather system. Breathing is about pulling in a little O2 and breathing out a lot of CO2. if you don't have the volume of gas available to breath normally you will die regardless of the amount of O2 available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would have to be a component of some complex closed-loop system controlled by some complex electronics, like a rebreather is now. So in other words, it would price 99.9% of divers out of the market, again, just like rebreathers already do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Generating oxygen is only half the battle. CO2 must be scrubbed or split into C and O2.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is where I was going.

Not to mention the effects of depth...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
First line of story negates the tech savvy of the reporter.
View Quote

Years ago, I would have expected Discovery to follows such simple standards as writing articles that aren't totally ignorant of their subject. Now I'm confused about why they'd even bother with a news item like this. Maybe a psychic found it in Amish Country while shopping for a wedding dress.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SCUBA hell...

This could fundamentally alter pretty much everything that involves combustion....
View Quote

Yeah, this would have applications WAY beyond recreational diving.

First of all, let's talk about where it's getting the energy for this trick...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Years ago, I would have expected Discovery....
View Quote

Now you're making me miss OMNI.  :(

Fun fact. #2 GF had a subscription to OMNI when it went under. The publisher only had one other magazine, so they completed the subscription obligation with it.
Her parents were NOT amused when Penthouse started showing up with a 16 year old girls name in the address field.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
SCUBA hell...

View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#30]
One fun use would be subs.  Diesel motors can simply eject the co2
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now that's pretty awesome.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#32]
We must turn this technology into a grenade.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#33]
That stuff would burn like gunpowder.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Rocket fuel from Water? Tank full of water, pump it through a matrix to absorb the oxygen out, leaving behind hydrogen , recombine with ignition.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rocket fuel from Water? Tank full of water, pump it through a matrix to absorb the oxygen out, leaving behind hydrogen , recombine with ignition.
View Quote

This absorbs free oxygen. Pretty sure it doesn't break down water.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone know just what this shit is?

Something with cobalt in it...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Didn't the Japs use this as a weapon to kill Godzilla in the 1st movie?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Great way to put out fires, just figure out the ins and outs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

it take about 10 liters of material to suck up a roomful of oxygen, not a spoonful.

Good point.  1000 cubic feet of air has what?  30 pounds of oxygen in it? Something around there.

The molarity they are talking about doesn't fit the ratios they are talking about.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

the future of grenades/flashbangs?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link to better story:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140930113254.htm

Link to abstract of actual science journal article: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2014/SC/C4SC01636J#!divAbstract (a little too deep for me).

One of the cool things about this discovery is that it would allow combustion to take place in pure oxygen environments. Take O2 out of the air and release it in a combustion chamber.  

I wonder what the energy requirements are for the releasing the O2.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
SCUBA hell...

View Quote

If the oxygen density is greater than that of liquid oxygen it would be very useful for space flight applications.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullets also.  They would suck the tissue's oxygen and not just mechanically destroy it.

Stop the bleeding with a compress just to make things worse until the bullet is removed.

If the O2 liberation is highly exothermic make it be triggered when the bullet is pulled out or after a few minutes absorbing oxygen.

Dang... demonic weapon.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would imagine that they would just use it like a longer lasting rebreather. There has to be a release of some sort of energy to get 02 out, so that would be the control.

I do feel that diving is on the very low end of possibilities if this stuff really works. Longer space flights, more efficient engines and energy production, weapons, medical field (wound healing, home 02 users, etc). Im confident that there will be a breakthrough regardless if this works in the field of molecular generation/splitting giving a more efficient and widespread ability to break down C02, water, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it won't replace scuba after all?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's free oxygen diffused in water, fish don't break it down either

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fun fact. #2 GF had a subscription to OMNI when it went under. The publisher only had one other magazine, so they completed the subscription obligation with it.
Her parents were NOT amused when Penthouse started showing up with a 16 year old girls name in the address field.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ago, I would have expected Discovery....

That was probably a fun conversation when the first penthouse showed up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You kids. it strips and holds Oxygen from a medium, like water and when you release a deep breath of it into your lungs.
It will start to generate another. But remember you have a second dose. So while one is being used one will be regenerating.

Best construct I can come up with on short notice is. One set of lungs will remove all Oxygen from a room with time.
Fifty sets will "suck up a room full of Oxygen" Much faster. How much would be needed for breaths one through five before breath one was replenished. That's the question. The Oxygen version of a nitrogen generator.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well sure you do on deco.

And all the time, it just happens to be mixed with other things.  But you don't metabolize the other things.

If it can release it at 3600 psi I'm in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#50]
1: obtain crystals
2: mix in with tannerite
3. ?????
4: profit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top