Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 4:02:21 PM EDT
Search for the word “fat” on Twitter and you’ll likely find a torrent of criticisms, insults, and jokes at overweight people’s expense. Now researchers have undertaken such an experiment in a much more systematic way, across a variety of platforms — and what they’ve found may give the public health community a look at the reality of being overweight online.

For a study published in the journal Translational Behavioral Medicine, the researchers Wen-Ying Sylvia Chou, Abby Prestin, and Stephen Kunath analyzed a variety of social-media messages — tweets, Facebook posts, and comments on blogs and forums — that contained words like “obese,” “overweight,” and “fat.” “The most prevalent theme” throughout these messages, they write, “is derogation and stigma against overweight individuals.” They noticed “moral repugnance toward overweight people,” “irritation and anger” directed at them, and, in more extreme cases, harassment. Tweets “where aggressors directly and publicly attack other users with weight-related insults,” they write, “are unfortunately common.”
View Quote

Eat it up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't read one sentence, its Friday.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Stigma is society's way of saying "don't do that."

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
They should come here.

There is a thread at least bi-daily on how someone hates a fatty.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Search for the word “fat” on Twitter and you’ll likely find a torrent of criticisms, insults, and jokes at overweight people’s expense. Now researchers have undertaken such an experiment in a much more systematic way, across a variety of platforms — and what they’ve found may give the public health community a look at the reality of being overweight online.

For a study published in the journal Translational Behavioral Medicine, the researchers Wen-Ying Sylvia Chou, Abby Prestin, and Stephen Kunath analyzed a variety of social-media messages — tweets, Facebook posts, and comments on blogs and forums — that contained words like “obese,” “overweight,” and “fat.” “The most prevalent theme” throughout these messages, they write, “is derogation and stigma against overweight individuals.” They noticed “moral repugnance toward overweight people,” “irritation and anger” directed at them, and, in more extreme cases, harassment. Tweets “where aggressors directly and publicly attack other users with weight-related insults,” they write, “are unfortunately common.”
View Quote

Eat it up.
View Quote

Translation:  Wen-Ying, Abby, and Stephen are fatties and they don't like being called fatties.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
In a related note I was at Krogers yesterday after work to pick up a couple things.  I saw an older couple, looked to be at least in the 80's, walking and pushing a cart.  They weren't moving very fast, buy hey, they were doing it; about 50 feet away from them I saw a woman who looked to be no older than in her 40's (though she could have easily been in her 30's) with no visible disabilities other than being a fucking fatass (I am not talking overweight, I am talking disgustingly, morbidly obese) that waddled her ass up to the cart selection area, and plopped her fat ass down in a scooter to begin her shopping.  I could only shake my head and the difference between the two.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
It's great time to be a little fat.   Not a day goes by where I don't see dozens of people way more fat than I.  Fatties.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
CDC data from 2007 to 2010 reports that adult men in the U.S., on average, have a BMI of 28.6. Adult women have an average BMI of 28.7. This BMI indicates the average adult male and female are overweight, but not obese. To be considered obese, your BMI must be 30 or above. A man with a BMI of 28.6 could stand 5 feet, 9 inches tall and weigh 194 pounds. A woman with a BMI of 28.7 could be 5 feet, 5 inches tall with a weight of 172.5 pounds.
View Quote

Herd statistics.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]
To hell with fat.

I wish we could re-introduce some social stigma for being a fucking idiot.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I couldn't read one sentence, its Friday.
View Quote
Lol. Thanks I needed a good laugh after this week.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
FAT ACTIVISTS, are worse than trangendered social justice warriors.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have zero sympathy for fat people. Fat is a choice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't get it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's a mooring mast.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a mooring mast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a mooring mast.

To dock blimps? Should I go read the article?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a mooring mast.

Some of there people are so large, they need a mooring mast.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a mooring mast.

Ah, I assumed that is what you were getting at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top