Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 4:08:30 AM EDT
So I have a question for all you Electricians.  I'm an idiot when it comes to wiring a house, but I know some of the basics at least.

Situation is this:  Have an unused add on room that was built out of the Garage.  Was only wired with 1 outlet.  I know the best solution is to just drop the $75~ and run a couple more outlets, as it's literally only a few feet away from the breaker box.  HOWEVER....until I get around to doing that, will this be fine?  Room gets real hot, as it's an add on room built out of the garage, the AC sucks donkey balls.  Solution:  Window unit.  Problem: only 1 outlet.

If I wanted to use this as a get away from everyone else and watch TV or play a game on the PS4, will a surge protector protect the TV and game console from the AC unit?  (Same outlet).  

I say maybe, but I've read that the constant kicking on and off of the compressor will surge the hell out and possibly damage the TV and or game console.  But on the other hand, I also say that it's a small 5,000 BTU that only pulls 4.8 amps, could it really cause a problem through a surge protector?

Yes, yes, I know, I should run new outlets.   But until I get around to doing that, which won't be soon, would that be fine or should I simply unplug the window unit when I want to use the TV / Game and sit through the heat?

TL;DR

1 outlet in room, TV, Game console, and Window unit.

Window unit draws 4.8 amps.

Will surge protector protect TV/Game console from the surges put out by the Window unit and cause no problems or will they melt and burn?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:19:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The AC unit would need to be on a different circuit to isolate surge from your electronic items.  Just use a quality surge protector.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:24:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The AC unit would need to be on a different circuit to isolate surge from your electronic items.  Just use a quality surge protector.
View Quote

That is my question.

Would a decent surge protector effectively isolate the TV and game console from the window unit?  Same outlet, 1 plug to the window unit, other to the surge protector.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The "surge" from the AC unit, is actually a drop in voltage when it starts up, which should be relatively small, given the short length of wire.  A surge protector won't do a thing for a drop in voltage.  Depending on the unit, you may get a voltage spike from the field collapsing on the relay coils when it shuts off.  A surge suppressor will protect against that.  With it so close to the panel, the only way putting it on a different circuit will really make much difference is if you make sure the other circuit is on the other leg that feeds the panel.

TL;DR, Yes, it should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So I have a question for all you Electricians.  I'm an idiot when it comes to wiring a house, but I know some of the basics at least.

Situation is this:  Have an unused add on room that was built out of the Garage.  Was only wired with 1 outlet.  I know the best solution is to just drop the $75~ and run a couple more outlets, as it's literally only a few feet away from the breaker box.  HOWEVER....until I get around to doing that, will this be fine?  Room gets real hot, as it's an add on room built out of the garage, the AC sucks donkey balls.  Solution:  Window unit.  Problem: only 1 outlet.

If I wanted to use this as a get away from everyone else and watch TV or play a game on the PS4, will a surge protector protect the TV and game console from the AC unit?  (Same outlet).  

I say maybe, but I've read that the constant kicking on and off of the compressor will surge the hell out and possibly damage the TV and or game console.  But on the other hand, I also say that it's a small 5,000 BTU that only pulls 4.8 amps, could it really cause a problem through a surge protector?

Yes, yes, I know, I should run new outlets.   But until I get around to doing that, which won't be soon, would that be fine or should I simply unplug the window unit when I want to use the TV / Game and sit through the heat?

TL;DR

1 outlet in room, TV, Game console, and Window unit.

Window unit draws 4.8 amps.

Will surge protector protect TV/Game console from the surges put out by the Window unit and cause no problems or will they melt and burn?
View Quote

5000 BTU window AC? You're fine. Just don't plug the AC into the power strip and you're good to go. With a window unit that small, and the distance that short, voltage drop will be negligible. Don't sweat it. This is the first time I have heard of voltage drop killing those devices anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The Florida heat will hurt the electronics before that ac.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top