Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 3:49:21 AM EDT
Video of F22 Raptor refueling at night - then off to do some bombing....
(video is second box down)

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/video-the-invisible-f-22-raptor-flying-on-its-way-to-b-1641830571

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool Video

That was a really bright green strobe light coming from that city. Never seen anything like that when flying at night.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Needs more B-52 carpet bombing with Moab's..
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool Video

That was a really bright green strobe light coming from that city. Never seen anything like that when flying at night.
View Quote

Only green light I see is the Raptor's wing light.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]
the videos and such coming out of that operation are hilarious when you think about it.  its not the usual "heres everything we hit, heres the damage assessment."  it's "look look we're REALLY doing something!"
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool Video

I saw it a couple times. I'd say it was a green laser pointer. You can see it slightly forward and left of the wingtip at 1:01. It is pretty much right at the edge of the video. You can see another one @ 1:04 just above the dark line running left to right in the big cluster of lights.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I saw it a couple times. I'd say it was a green laser pointer. You can see it slightly forward and left of the wingtip at 1:01. It is pretty much right at the edge of the video. You can see another one @ 1:04 just above the dark line running left to right in the big cluster of lights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool Video

Okay, I see it now.  Yeah, that is an intense light. Weird.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Airport beacon, I saw white and green.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
First of all, cool video.

Second, though, here's a stupid question: why are we using F-22s to bomb ISIS instead of B-52s or F-16s?  I assume that the operating cost of the F-22s is higher than several other options.  Is there any reason to use a fifth-generation stealth fighter to drop bombs in Iraq and Syria?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First of all, awesome.

Second, though, here's a stupid question: why are we using F-22s to bomb ISIS instead of B-52s or F-16s?  I assume that the operating cost of the F-22s is higher than several other options.  Is there any reason to use a fifth-generation stealth fighter to drop bombs in Iraq and Syria?
View Quote

Syria has a pretty decent air defense force... compliments of Russia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Air_Defense_Force
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
That's pretty badass.

To our mil, and ex-mil, pilots, how hard is a nighttime mid-air refuel?  Is it hard to keep the plane in sync with the tanker?  It seems like it would be a "white knuckle" type experience.  

What happens if you hit turbulence while connected?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, awesome.

Are the Assad-controlled air defenses a threat to our planes as they drop bombs on anti-Assad ISIS?  On the other hand, I guess plenty of Syrian missiles have fallen into ISIS hands during their civil war.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are the Assad-controlled air defenses a threat to our planes as they drop bombs on anti-Assad ISIS?  On the other hand, I guess plenty of Syrian missiles have fallen into ISIS hands during their civil war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, awesome.

Who knows what kind of OUR OLD ASSETS are in ISIS hands now. FBHO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, awesome.

Let's look at it this way: do you really want to trust Assad, his forces, or anyone else in that country, for anything?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Plus, an opportunity to collect data on real world missions and test out specific TTPs for the aircraft in a low intensity conflict.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#15]
With all both of its bombs.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool Video

I thought there were also less bright flashes from the same spot.  Possibly a heliport beacon?  I know that airfield beacons are very bright thanks tot he Fresnel lenses and that the green light always seems brighter than the white light.  I imagine that the additional yellow light on a heliport beacon would look dimmer than the green light would be as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With all both of its bombs.
View Quote

Yes, quite possibly with all both of its 2 to 8 bombs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I thought there were also less bright flashes from the same spot.  Possibly a heliport beacon?  I know that airfield beacons are very bright thanks tot he Fresnel lenses and that the green light always seems brighter than the white light.  I imagine that the additional yellow light on a heliport beacon would look dimmer than the green light would be as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool Video

That could be a possibility. It seemed to random to be  an airport beacon though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let's look at it this way: do you really want to trust Assad, his forces, or anyone else in that country, for anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, awesome.

Nope, the only people we can trust in the middle east is Israel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's pretty badass.

To our mil, and ex-mil, pilots, how hard is a nighttime mid-air refuel?  Is it hard to keep the plane in sync with the tanker?  It seems like it would be a "white knuckle" type experience.  

What happens if you hit turbulence while connected?
View Quote

Night is a little more challenging compared to day.  The visual cues are harder to pick up on and you notice changes just a little bit later than in day.  In smooth air it's not really that bad.  When it gets rough, or you are in WX, it sucks.  

When going through turbulence, the tanker is going through the same stuff so theoretically it shouldn't be too bad.  It is A LOT more work to stay on the boom though.   It's always comforting to see the tankers wings flapping like a bird when going through turb.  Even the boom will bounce around.  Kinda like bull riding, except for 20+ minutes for the big jets.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool Video

It does look like a green laser.  Common for that part of the world to shine them at aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Very cool video.

I'm sure that its bombing run was really effective.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was younger I thought meh......easy peezy air to air refueling.

Now I am absolutely in awe of the skill and precision that these guys/gals exibit when they do this.....

Nice work.....now kill somemore of those fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I was younger I thought meh......easy peezy air to air refueling.

Now I am absolutely in awe of the skill and precision that these guys/gals exibit when they do this.....

Nice work.....now kill somemore of those fuckers.
View Quote

^^This
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey- isn't that the plane Obama insisted be behind him during a speech in Alaska?    Hmm- looks different.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey- isn't that the plane Obama insisted be behind him during a speech in Alaska?    Hmm- looks different.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/images/091202_F15.jpg
View Quote

Pretty sure that's an F-15.

*Edit* I don't what speech you are referring to.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Isn't the F-35A already operational?

I thought it was a larger airframe that is more capable for air-to-ground missions than the F-22? I know the USAF is probably excited to finally use the F-22 on a combat mission, but I thought we had purchased the F-35 for this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I thought it was a larger airframe that is more capable for air-to-ground missions than the F-22? I know the USAF is probably excited to finally use the F-22 on a combat mission, but I thought we had purchased the F-35 for this kind of thing.
View Quote
It might rain and make it asplode so they can't chance it.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fleet's been grounded a few times due to issues. Who can keep up with if it's operational or not?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Bombing with an F-22 is like delivering mattresses with a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Why is there 1 red light and 1 green light on jet?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why is there 1 red light and 1 green light on jet?

View Quote

left and right.
just like a boat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top