Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 9:06:59 PM EDT
So how do they keep like 5 guys each dressed like Stonewall Jackson from showing up to the same event?

It seems like everyone would want to be Stonewall Jackson or maybe Sherman.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So how do they keep like 5 Stonewall Jackson's from showing up to the same event?

View Quote

Super nerd here, checking in.....

Typically individuals portraying specific personalities are invited to certain events by the organizers. If someone shows up unauthorized to portray said personality they are asked to leave. Honestly, its not a real problem except at the small scale "Ham & Jam" festivals. At quality "Campaigner" style events you don't have people portraying individual personalities unless they are portraying certain individuals in the rank and file of a unit. Then only in order to recreate a sense of history and connection to the actual events for the reenactor himself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Typically individuals portraying specific personalities are invited to certain events by the organizers. If someone shows up unauthorized to portray said personality they are asked to leave. Honestly, its not a real problem except at the small scale "Ham & Jam" festivals. At quality "Campaigner" style events you don't have people portraying individual personalities unless they are portraying certain individuals in the rank and file of a unit. Then only in order to recreate a sense of history and connection to the actual events for the reenactor himself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how do they keep like 5 Stonewall Jackson's from showing up to the same event?

Thanks. That's why I love this place. Post an obscure question and get an answer.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What I want to know is:

How do you know when you die?  Or is it like GI Joe where there's lots of shots fired but nobody dies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What I want to know is:

How do you know when you die?  Or is it like GI Joe where there's lots of shots fired but nobody dies.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to one last weekend.  Only the Yankees showed up so it wasn't much of a war.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I'm in a Authentic Campaigner Group (called a Mess) that is made up of Privates, Corporals, and Sargeants.  We have one Company Officer, a Lt.  He sometimes gets paid a bounty to portray a certain personality,  his being Gen. PTG Beauregard.  There is always some guy who shows up in a polyester rental general outfit, he is ignored or kicked out by event staff.  The Campaigner events that are closed to the public are the most realistic and give the feeling off almost being there with my ancestors, of course without being maimed or killed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went to one last weekend.  Only the Yankees showed up so it wasn't much of a war.
View Quote

We had that same problem a couple weeks ago.  Only the Feds showed.  I had to galvanize (without complaining).

You die when you have a weapon stoppage or run out of powder, your unit is assigned to take casualties at a specific point, or you are pissed off at the event's suckiness and don't want to waste good powder on this farb parade bullshit.

The trick is the smart muck crunchers die in the shade when it's hot...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What I want to know is:

View Quote

Taking a hit usually occurs at one's personal discretion. At some events, the unit CO will hand out ID cards of participants of the actual battle including a description of what happened to them during the fight, and you follow that :script". Other times the CO will order his unit to "start taking hits" in order to either thrill the spectators ("Ham & Jam" festivals), or to more accurately depict events as they happened.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where at?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My reenactor character had MY name---history is weird right...go back to the records and there's my name!!! and you die when you are supposed to...it's is scripted and some deaths are quite dramatic........
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I was at an event one time,  it was super hot,  (like always). During the days battle all the casualties were hit in the shade,  weird coincidence.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.  I'm in a Authentic Campaigner Group (called a Mess) that is made up of Privates, Corporals, and Sargeants.  We have one Company Officer, a Lt.  He sometimes gets paid a bounty to portray a certain personality,  his being Gen. PTG Beauregard.  There is always some guy who shows up in a polyester rental general outfit, he is ignored or kicked out by event staff.  The Campaigner events that are closed to the public are the most realistic and give the feeling off almost being there with my ancestors, of course without being maimed or killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What unit are you with?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Greasy Peaches Mess, Formerly the Cowbell Mess.

Indy units:
West
30th Mississippi Infantry,  Company K
5th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company B
CSMC Company D, Mississippi River Det.
We tend to travel with Blue-gray or Cleburne's Div.
East
49th Virginia Infantry,  Company A (Wife's Ancestor was a 3rd Sgt in this unit)
Any good Ohio Infantry/Dismounted Cavalry who needs a hand

ETA: We temporarily adopted the 9th Minnesota Infantry for the 150th Brices Crossroads back in June.  If you can find a Fed OOB enjoy a good laugh.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't done it in like 10 years,  anybody else go to the 96 Gettysburg?  That was the elephant.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I want to know is:

View Quote

Some guys just don't want to go down...even when they're hit with lightning bolts.

Reenactors
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What I want to know is:

View Quote

Not all the time.  Occasionally someone loads a real projectile.  Like this goofy frecnh guy that supposedly wanted to get the full experience.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-07-09/news/9807100342_1_reenactment-accidental-shooting-civil-war

http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/reenactor_shot.htm

There have been a number of other accidents

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2094737/posts
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Taking a hit usually occurs at one's personal discretion. At some events, the unit CO will hand out ID cards of participants of the actual battle including a description of what happened to them during the fight, and you follow that :script". Other times the CO will order his unit to "start taking hits" in order to either thrill the spectators ("Ham & Jam" festivals), or to more accurately depict events as they happened.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I want to know is:

That makes sense.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I was also at an event,  after the sat battle the rebs were giving us shit about not going down,  so on Sunday, the second shot from a cannon,  the whole regiment felldead at once,  there was complete silence,  then the rebs hooted and cheered for an hour.  It was a small event.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was also at an event,  after the sat battle the rebs were giving us shit about not going down,  so on Sunday, the second shot from a cannon,  the whole regiment felldead at once,  there was complete silence,  then the rebs hooted and cheered for an hour.  It was a small event.
View Quote

Haha sounds like a good time.  

I would love to do Cavalry re-enactments.  If you have your own horse do they let you, or is there a rank system you have to go through?

(I understand all units may not be the same).  They do re-enactments right up the road from me every year, but I have never joined a unit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I (wrongly) thought it was a great idea to go to the Olustee Re-enactment for Valentine's day many years ago. HaHa - I know, now. The grays seemed to fall very close to each other - since you have to be dead for 30-60 minutes, you might as well be close enough to chat with your dead brother in arms.......
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would love to do Cavalry re-enactments.  If you have your own horse do they let you, or is there a rank system you have to go through?

(I understand all units may not be the same).  They do re-enactments right up the road from me every year, but I have never joined a unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, so you want to be a saber clinker?

Most cav units require Coggins testing and other things before they will let you (and your horse) in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I took part in the 125th at Gettysburg. It was hot enough that I never did another.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't done it in like 10 years,  anybody else go to the 96 Gettysburg?  That was the elephant.

I took part in the 125th at Gettysburg. It was hot enough that I never did another.

Pussy.

We did Fed Infantry at Brices Crossroads in June.  It wasn't hot, it was Africa Hot while we ran uphill at the double quick trying to keep up with the cav guys.  Then we slept in a chigger nest.  Yeah, that event sucked ass for my mess.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most cav units require Coggins testing and other things before they will let you (and your horse) in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coggins testing? Makes sense, at any horse event.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I've only actually been to one of those things, but only a few guys came dressed as officers.  Seemed like the majority of them were fully content to dress as enlisted men and model how utterly plain the clothing of that era was.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like the real battle, eh?

(Very hot).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I had an Army buddy that did them before he enlisted.  He said you could tell who was hung over because they'd fall when the first shot rang out.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never been but my great friend (RIP, Joe) and his wife participated at the Olustee events. He said that on Sat they do it by the history. On Sun it's a free-for-all. Not sure how that works.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

While it was warm during the real battle, I believe it was a bit hotter for the 125th.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like the real battle, eh?

(Very hot).

While it was warm during the real battle, I believe it was a bit hotter for the 125th.

Of course there were real projectiles being fired back in the day - so that might be the difference?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#32]
How do you know when you die? Or is it like GI Joe where there's lots of shots fired but nobody dies.
View Quote

Good reenactors take their hits. "Nobody dying" is a sign of newbies and farbs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Ah yes. I was there, defending the "copse of trees" from Pickett's Charge.

My reenacting career spanned most of the 125th events, from 1986-89. First with the 12th New Hampshire and then with the 3rd U.S. regulars (Day's Brigade).

Regarding heat, Gettysburg wasn't so bad. The worst for me was the 125th Battle of the Petersburg Crater, when I avoided heat stroke by emptying an entire canteen of water over my head. That was my last CW event.

After that, I branched out into Rev War, WWI, and WWII. I needed excuses to collect all the neat stuff. Scratch a reenactor, and you will find a collector underneath.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've only actually been to one of those things, but only a few guys came dressed as officers.  Seemed like the majority of them were fully content to dress as enlisted men and model how utterly plain the clothing of that era was.
View Quote

Alot of units are actually non-profit orgs,  they elect their board,  then elect a field commander and other officers depending on the size of the unit.  My dad was very big in it in the 80s.  Pretty sure at one point he commanded 8000 federals at some large events,  marched his unit (mudsills) in some presidential inaugural parades.  

They were the only non-government org to have live firearms,  he was talking to a secret security guy going over when and where they could do certain arms positions,  he asked what would happen if someone did point a musket at the pres,  the agent smiled and said, "uzi's are very indiscriminate."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top