Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2014 3:16:40 PM EDT
I see china just tested a new icbm mobile launcher.  Had me wondering if we have some in service,  or were those scrapped?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
There were plans for road-mobile ICBMs as well as rail-based, but neither were ever implemented in the US.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There were plans for road-mobile ICBMs as well as rail-based, but neither were ever implemented in the US.
View Quote

Not really sure what the need for such a thing would be. Granted, I'm no expert, but it would seem our subs could park missiles pretty much anywhere we needed them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Pretty much.

With the ability to have a shit load of ICBMs hidden in the oceans which covers more than 50% of the earth. Why make a land launcher?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I think any of the mexican roach coaches out here that sell taquitos should qualify as miniature mobile ICBM launchers, but that's about it
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The initial deployment plan for MX was on mobile launchers on dedicated "race tracks", moving from one hardened shelter to another.  After cost data was analyzed the idea was shelved and they went into fixed silo's for their short service life.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not really sure what the need for such a thing would be. Granted, I'm no expert, but it would seem our subs could park missiles pretty much anywhere we needed them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get much of the advantage of an air breather, with comparitive cost of a large truck.

ICBMs have advantages of rapid response and throwweight.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The initial deployment plan for MX was on mobile launchers on dedicated "race tracks", moving from one hardened shelter to another.  After cost data was analyzed the idea was shelved and they went into fixed silo's for their short service life.
View Quote

PK was traded away. It was a monster launch platform.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see china just tested a new icbm mobile launcher.  Had me wondering if we have some in service,  or were those scrapped?
View Quote

Ours even work under water.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever heard of JL-2?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Security would be a PITA... easier in Siberia.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
1st post and all that!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Best mobile launcher in the world.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The Peacekeeper was a real monster.

It was treaty limitations which caused it to go away, not any problem with the missile itself.  If we were to actually work at it we probably could have had a new nuke bomb which would fit a 20 MIRV warhead on a Peacekeeper.

Sometimes I think we should just call Putin's bluff and agree that it's time to walk away from all those Cold War era treaties.  The PRC is the only nation that benefits from them anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
We are getting rid of silos/nukes.  Can't add more to the mix.  I don't see mobile launchers as being any more reliable or more secure than our existing sites.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But, but, but.... the Russian ones are BIGGER!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Since the Russians are saying to hell with the IRBM treaty, we need to bring back the GLCM.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It was treaty limitations which caused it to go away, not any problem with the missile itself.  If we were to actually work at it we probably could have had a new nuke bomb which would fit a 20 MIRV warhead on a Peacekeeper.

Sometimes I think we should just call Putin's bluff and agree that it's time to walk away from all those Cold War era treaties.  The PRC is the only nation that benefits from them anymore.
View Quote

Time to dust off the neutron bomb schematics?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I would think security for those things would be a living nightmare.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#23]

That sucker lives at Wright Patterson AFB Museum on the apron to the east.

Still looks badass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Obama wants us to go back to diesel subs...

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Peacekeeper had 10 MIRV 300 kiloton  warheads
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Why be so barbaric...  

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ever heard of JL-2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever heard of JL-2?

Probably not.  Everyone knows the PLAN is just a bunch of amateurs that never leave sight of the coast, which precludes submarines from submerging.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If you're gonna spend the tremendous resources to lift something that high might as well be nukes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you're gonna spend the tremendous resources to lift something that high might as well be nukes.
Not really. Nukes actually suck.  They are not as powerful as people think they are, they are mechanically complex and are comprised of material that by it's very nature decays without use.

Plus...  these could actually be used a lot easier.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I believe we used (employed as we fired none) the RR launcher.
My work made the forgings for the assembly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What if you use the nukes to do the lifting?

(click to embiggen)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ever heard of JL-2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever heard of JL-2?

No.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#37]
The only country that has them active as of right now are the Russians.  (RS-24 Topel, Topel M with MIRV warheads)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Putin has broken all of those treaties.  He doesn't care.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#39]
We shouldn't either................we should deploy any and everything we can

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Solar
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#41]

I'd hate to be the one who had to back that up for the picture.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, when we agreed to take the ten MIRVs off of them we might as well have scrapped the program at the same time.  Utter stupidity IMO, but most all nuclear disarmament treaties are.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Since the Russians are saying to hell with the IRBM treaty, we need to bring back the GLCM.
View Quote

This.

GLCM is tits.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
This.

GLCM is tits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

GLCM is tits.

The BGM 109 airframe is still around and better than ever (Tomahawk).  I wonder if any of the physics packages survived...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGM-109G_Ground_Launched_Cruise_Missile

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The BGM 109 airframe is still around and better than ever (Tomahawk).  I wonder if any of the physics packages survived...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

GLCM is tits.

Wiki seems to think the airframes were destroyed, but not the W84 warheads.

The W84 warheads are in Enduring Stockpile storage; the GLCM missiles which previously carried them have been destroyed to comply with the INF treaty, but the warheads are being maintained in case a future application is required

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W84
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, but, but the Russians have a shit ton and are still operational while our Community Organizer hates nukes.

That's how you win Thermonuclear War.

Think if the Russians launched first, Prez-o-dent Zero would respond?

I seem to remember him having to be dragged into making a decision on getting Bin Laden.

From all I've seen, he could weather having a major US city getting dusted, because gosh, if we responded, why that'd be nuclear war!  Can't campaign on nuclear war!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

GLCM is tits.

The W84 warheads are in Enduring Stockpile storage; the GLCM missiles which previously carried them have been destroyed to comply with the INF treaty, but the warheads are being maintained in case a future application is required

The Gryphon airframes may have been destroyed, but they were just a specialized version of the Tomahawk still in use today.  If the W84 warheads still exist in a usable form, we probably could reconstitute the missile without a lot of trouble.  The Transporter Erector Launchers (TEL) and Launch Control Centers (LCC) would have to be rebuilt as well, but that probably wouldn't be difficult to do either.

It's a pity none of it will ever happen.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Barack Obama - Keeping the world safe for major conventional endless land wars.

Moat of us older guys would not be alive now if it weren't for the bomb.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny story my uncle told me about this subject just recently.

He was a project manager on the MX missile for MacDoug back in the day. Anyway, they were having some type of meeting and a tour with some top generals and congress critters when the topic of putting launchers on rail came up. Then one of the congressman had a Guam capsizing moment and asked the general wouldn't launching a missile from rail destroy the tracks. My uncle said the general stared at the guy for a moment and then straight faced said "Who gives a SHIT! <pause>....we're in the middle of nuclear war, damaged rail is the least of our problem". The congressman didn't open his mouth the rest of the tour.

Just thought it was funny, would have loved to been a fly on the wall.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

He was a project manager on the MX missile for MacDoug back in the day. Anyway, they were having some type of meeting and a tour with some top generals and congress critters when the topic of putting launchers on rail came up. Then one of the congressman had a Guam capsizing moment and asked the general wouldn't launching a missile from rail destroy the tracks. My uncle said the general stared at the guy for a moment and then straight faced said "Who gives a SHIT! <pause>....we're in the middle of nuclear war, damaged rail is the least of our problem". The congressman didn't open his mouth the rest of the tour.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a good story.   Will remember that one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top