Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 2:25:05 PM EDT
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/10/chp_pervert.php

A California Highway Patrol (CHP) officer caught and convicted for trying to launch a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old girl he met in 2006 on the Internet this week won a federal appellate court ruling that the Orange County District Attorney's office (OCDA) thwarted a fair trial.

The majority of a three-judge Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals' panel ruled that prosecutor Robert Mestman mislead a jury during his closing argument about the legal requirements to convict Stephen Robert Deck.

The CHP lieutenant had worked in agency's San Juan Capistrano office until he was nabbed in a joint Perverted Justice and Laguna Beach Police Department sting operation that used Amy, a decoy child who was really an adult woman....
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
In before he is rehired as "Officer Too-Friendly".
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what to say????

If the trial was fucked up, he deserves another one.

If he is a pedo, put him away till  he is dead.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well... I don't agree with charging someone for a crime they didn't actually commit.  Whether he thought she was a 13 year old doesn't make him GUILTY of it if the 13 year old was really a woman.

What sucks about this is he will now probably get another LE job.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well... I don't agree with charging someone for a crime they didn't actually commit.  Whether he thought she was a 13 year old doesn't make him GUILTY of it if the 13 year old was really a woman.

View Quote

And the first one appears! !!!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not in California.

its not like that here. You get fired, you might get a job working security at a college. But you are done in LE. They take backgrounds seriously.

A friend of mine got disqualified because he's building an AR so the doc failed him on the physch test. Not hireable for any armed position. Retest in two years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I know a cop that had a rape of a 15 yo in his jacket prior to hiring, he made it to the Feds
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not in California.

its not like that here. You get fired, you might get a job working security at a college. But you are done in LE. They take backgrounds seriously.

A friend of mine got disqualified because he's building an AR so the doc failed him on the physch test. Not hireable for any armed position. Retest in two years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in California.

Can you explain this better? Your friend was building a legal AR, mentioned it during the interview process and the doc failed him over that? I'd say that calls for a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

He showed up to meet her with condoms-guy is fucked in the head.Period.

The 13 yr old actually being an adult woman doesn't matter-he thought he was talking to AND MEETING a 13 yr old girl.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you explain this better? Your friend was building a legal AR, mentioned it during the interview process and the doc failed him over that? I'd say that calls for a lawsuit.
View Quote

Thats all there is to it. Doc asked if he owned guns. He answered truthfully that he owns a shotgun and a lower that he is building into a legal rifle as funds allow. She didnt like that answer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know a cop that had a rape of a 15 yo in his jacket prior to hiring, he made it to the Feds
View Quote

Was it a rape where he was her 17 or 18 yr old boyfriend?

Because I can't see any forcible rape case not ending his career.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Steven

View Quote
If that's true as to why he got DQed that's really fucked up.

Though I've heard people get DQed for one reason (embarrassing) and then make up another non embarrassing reason.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Reminds me of this guy.

ARDMORE, OK-- Ardmore police officer, Corporal Barry Antwine has been with the Police Department since 2004. For the past 4 years he has worked as the resource officer for Ardmore Public schools and that assignment is up in the air, pending an investigation.

City manager J.D. Spohn says, acting Police Chief Kevin Norris has recommended that Antwine should be removed from the position of school resource officer pending further investigation.

According to court documents obtained by KTEN, Antwine entered into a plea deal in 1997 after he admitted to lewd molestation and second degree rape.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope bouncer in a bar in his 20s, let her  in and did her later, not his only. Claims to be a LE supercop. Joke in the department was if you needed any date rape drug... he had it
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not in California.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in California.

I can vouch on the part I bolded. Get let go from an "at will" part time LE position and told (verbal only) that it's on good terms, only to find out much later that your file says "fired for poor performance" and only then because you never got a copy of the separation paperwork and you're wondering why you've been stopping cold at backgrounds for 3 years straight?
Yeah. That's how seriously getting canned will affect your LE prospects in CA.

As you might imagine, this particular tale belongs to someone I know pretty well, and I can vouch for his sincerity in telling it, and his frustration about the second half.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I must be missing something..................he was charged with being a pedophile when he went for a decoy child who turned out to be an adult?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The 13 yr old actually being an adult woman doesn't matter-he thought he was talking to AND MEETING a 13 yr old girl.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I don't agree with Stiglitz often, but how can an actual fact not matter while a thought or desire which has not occurred yet take precedence over that fact?   Does that make any sense?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Really?  I don't agree with Stiglitz often, but how can an actual fact not matter while a thought or desire which has not occurred yet take precedence over that fact?   Does that make any sense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how did they arrest all the guys on "To catch a predator"?

This guy thought he was talking to a 13 yr old girl,and went to meet her.He thought he was going to have sex with a 13 year old girl.What is the difference if the girl on the other end of the phone/text/computer is 20 or 40 or whatever?

Do you guys think that if it was a real 13 year old girl there that he wouldn't have had sex with her??
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is still legally an attempt even if the actual facts would have made the attempted crime impossible.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nope bouncer in a bar in his 20s, let her  in and did her later, not his only. Claims to be a LE supercop. Joke in the department was if you needed any date rape drug... he had it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How in the FUCK did he get in?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Jersey, enough said.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#21]
It's all semantics. They aren't prosecuted for molesting a child. There never was a child.

They are prosecuted for using an electronic device to solicit sex with a minor. Whether there is a child or not, the solicitation still occured.

I'm actually good with this, despite by libertarian beliefs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It is still legally an attempt even if the actual facts would have made the attempted crime impossible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. He was soliciting with a child--to the best of his knowledge at the time. That's the important part, because it establishes his intent to solicit a minor. That the solicitee turned out to be not a minor doesn't matter to his efforts or intent.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]
What if, hupothetically, he only agreed to meet the "13 year old girl" because he figured it was a good way to meet hot undercover chick cops?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top