Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 9:55:42 AM EDT
The house we bought this spring still has the original contractor grade locks (which I had rekeyed when we moved in).  They are acceptable as lock, overall, but only for keeping out the inquisitive and the rude, not so much for someone who actually wants in.  Not to mention that one deadbolt doesn't like to be opened/closed with a key.

While I cannot afford to go whole hog and get REAL good stuff, what locks would some of you recommend?  I have had Schlage in the past and like them, but I haven't been able to find the full set that will be needed to replace what is there (four deadbolt/handle combinations, maybe an actual handle for the front door).

Staying away from Kwikset as I have not heard good things.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Door locks only keep the honest out. Go with whatever you like.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Push button , simplex type Lockey locks and forget the krys.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I will go with what I like anyway.  Just trying to find out if someone has something that seems to be better or is actually a little better . . . that I like.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Replaced all of my locks with Schlage. Good call on Kwikset.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Go with these and never carry keys. I have a wallet key for my car that stays in my wallet and this on my house. Haven't carried keys in years. Greatest thing ever.

Schlage
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I will go with what I like anyway.  Just trying to find out if someone has something that seems to be better or is actually a little better . . . that I like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been very happy with my Schlage locks... Especially when the locksmith couldn't bump it, couldn't pop it, and ended up breaking a bit on his drill drilling it. So yeah!

Been looking at the Schlage Keyless locks...

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-BE365VCAM619-Camelot-Keypad-Deadbolt/dp/B000NJJ1MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412259781&sr=8-1&keywords=schlage+keyless+lock

Kind of cool, sister has one, and it's nice to not have to worry about your keys. The Schlage has a full mechanical bypass so if the electronics do fail, you can simply keep using it like your standard deadbolt...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I like Quickset locks and use them at work (apartment industry).  

Slage is just as good.  Just make sure they are bump proof / resistant locks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Bilock.

I have the Kwikset Smartkeys, they have a funny habit of re-keying themselves spontaneously.  Fortunately, they'll sometimes also un-re-key themselves too, so that's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The Jew Lock.  When I worked for the local PD, we recommended this lock for homes and businesses.  The SPO I worked with called it the Jew Lock and now that's all I remember about it!!! LOL

They had a standing $10,000 reward for anyone who could pick it.  I seem to reit being used on sensitive Israeli bldgs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Kwikset locks are the laughing stock of the security industry. They've ignored flaws in their digital and keyless locks people presented to them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Locks keep an honest man honest, if someone really really want's in a fancy door lock isn't going to stop them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Alarm system and cameras work better.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go with these and never carry keys. I have a wallet key for my car that stays in my wallet and this on my house. Haven't carried keys in years. Greatest thing ever.

Schlage
View Quote

We had some very similiar locks at a commercial building I operated several years ago with the exception they were Simplex and not Schlage.
Handy they are but I will tell you after a few years they will have to be replaced because they wear out and they are not cheap to replace.
On the other hand I put several dead bolts on my house in 1985 and they are just now getting to the point they are wearing out and will be replaced this year and it will be far cheaper than those push button locks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While I cannot afford to go whole hog and get REAL good stuff, what locks would some of you recommend?  
Staying away from Kwikset as I have not heard good things.
View Quote

Pay the big bucks and get the good stuff.

Baldwin Hardware
The knobs/plates are high quality solid brass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Get yourself some door jamb armor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

This and remember if they don't want to kick the door in you can get all the bump keys on amazon for cheap and it's easy to bump a lock.  If they want to get in they will.  Make sure you have an alarm and video security in place.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This and remember if they don't want to kick the door in you can get all the bump keys on amazon for cheap and it's easy to bump a lock.  If they want to get in they will.  Make sure you have an alarm and video security in place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No point on this house.  The front door is set between two windows, so the jamb has zero strength, just enough to keep from having the door fall off the front door.  May do it for the back doors.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

AND use 3" screws for the jamb.  A lock is only as strong as the door it's mounted in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Schlage
View Quote

Have thought about these, just not convinced that the inexpensive consumer version is worth doing.  Four children, two quite young, so the front door gets a lot of traffic.  The Flex-Lock might be a consideration.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I think this is the Israeli lock:

http://www.mul-t-lock.com/en/site/Mul-T-Lock/

MEDECO!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#21]
A good lock is a good idea.  But reinforcing the door jamb is crtitical.  Doesn't matter how good your lock is if your door jamb can't take a beating.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
No point on this house.  The front door is set between two windows, so the jamb has zero strength, just enough to keep from having the door fall off the front door.  May do it for the back doors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why you need it.   A lock is just for looks.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I put Schlage on my house.  The only problem I have with them is how the inside will still turn if the knob is locked.  I ended up locking myself out of the house because I didn't realize it was locked and closed the door.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I installed Medeco locks on my house, the door jamb or the door itself will fail before the lock does.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I put Schlage on my house.  The only problem I have with them is how the inside will still turn if the knob is locked.  I ended up locking myself out of the house because I didn't realize it was locked and closed the door.
View Quote

Keep a set of keys outside in a non-obvious spot.  It is never good to go outside naked and lock yourself out of the house.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but a decent lock means that the lowest level of criminal won't just use a bump key and walk in.  If I install the jamb armor and they kick the door in on this front door it will simply bring the jamb with it as it rips away from the window.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Hard to beat a Fox Police Lock Bar.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

But how do you get back in?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Baldwin from http://www.handlesets.com/

Great customer service.  We just bought a home and had all the doors keyed a like. Much better than that shit kwickset...

For the back door we put this for other family members or the neighbor kid to feed dog/cat...  It's mechanical so no worries about batteries dying.  http://www.handlesets.com/lockey-m210-adjustable-maximum-security-mechanical-deadbolt-from-the-m-series/p1042861
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Medeco
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Schlage
View Quote

I have put schlage digital locks on two houses and they work awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-BE365VCAM619-Camelot-Keypad-Deadbolt/dp/B000NJJ1MQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1412282403&sr=1-1&keywords=schlage+digital+lock
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the Schlage keypad deadbolts on my house, haven't carried keys in years. They run on a 9v battery for years, I've only changed mine once in 10 years.

Being a locksmith, I get to handle all kinds of locks and for the money Schlage gets you the best bang for the buck. YMMV.

As stated, get some cameras, and not the Harbor Freight ones, GOOD ones from a reputable installer.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I put an electronic deadbolt on my front door.  I doubt it would keep a determined criminal out, but it sure is convenient.  

ETA... A good dog is far more effective than a good lock.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This.

I put an electronic deadbolt on my front door.  I doubt it would keep a determined criminal out, but it sure is convenient.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

When my friends house was broke into they didn't fool with the lock they just busted up his door and got in.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#36]
The number pad locks eventually wear the numbers in and it's not too hard to figure out the order.  Especially now a days with the phone grade thermal cameras.  Schlage and Kwikset are equally easy to bump.  You are kidding yourself if you think differently.  As all have said, locks only keep out the honest.  Go with what you like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top