Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2014 7:49:21 PM EDT
Simple question. Why do gun companies still make .38 special pistols? I understand the validity of the cailiber, but why not just make them all .357 mags so they have more options as a gun?  I' d guess the weight added to make the.357 capable can't be so big as to make it  a way more limited revolver ammo wise.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to say so they can make them smaller, but I have seen some pretty damn small .357's.  If I wanted a revolver in .38, I would probably get a .357 and just shoot .38 in it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want to say so they can make them smaller, but I have seen some pretty damn small .357's.  If I wanted a revolver in .38, I would probably get a .357 and just shoot .38 in it.
View Quote

Yep.  Only reason I sold my Model 10.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably right, though. Size, weight, and manufacturing cost. .38 Special is significantly lower pressure, plus the shorter case...means you can use less material making the piece, and don't have to make it able to withstand as much stress. Cheaper to make, lighter to carry, easier to shoot, sounds like everyone wins.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
642 is in 38+p the model 60 is in full house 357.
The only thing that changes is that in 357 they are all steel.
Now titanium and Scandium change the rules a bit. But that's the way it used to be. I got both.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
SW 442...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
There is 0 reason to buy a .38spl unless

1)  It's a classic S&W that you really want for the range
2)  You get a screaming deal on it, and it's too small/light to put .357's down anyways

Otherwise, if you are paying retail on it, buy the .357.  More options.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You do gain a bit of accuracy when shooting .38s in a .38 chamber. That being said, hardly anyone would notice the difference and this is only a valid reason in a competition pistol.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]

How much energy difference between a 357 and 38 out of a snub nose?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Substantial depending on the load.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
.357 is not always the correct answer, depending on the question. I have several of each.

Buy both.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd always opt for 357 just because it's built for the heavier loads. You'd never wear it out popping 38s.

I can see 38 if you are going for the smallest, lightest gun possible, say like an LCR.

I carry an SP101 and I shoot both calibers out of it quite a bit, probably more 357 than 38 because I reload my own and can roll some light magnums that are just a grain or so over the max for 38+p loads. Doesn't bother me, but that's what I shoot all time, so it's no big deal. Train with your weapon of choice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Twice as much pressure behind the same bullet is twice as much pressure, regardless of barrel length.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple of 38's that wouldn't be strong enough to be 357's.

A Cimarron Uberti Richards Mason conversion and a Cimarron Uberti Schofield.

My older j frames have a cylinder that's too short for 357's.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Smaller and lighter in .38. Also, have you ever fired a full load .357 in a pistol that is small and light? .38s can hurt in an ultra light, .357s = Owwieeee.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
"But I don't want anything more than a .38."

~ A shitload of one-gun owners
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Twice as much pressure behind the same bullet is twice as much pressure, regardless of barrel length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True, I was just curious as to the short amount of time the pressure had to work.  1 7/8 ain't a whole lot to work with.

The recoil from my .38 lightweight is pretty stout.  I would hate to drop the hammer on a mag load in a similar sized pistol.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Some folks don't want to spend the extra money for a bigger stronger gun or they don't want a heavier bigger gun.. I own and like my S&W 642 , wouldn't want the 357 in a gun that light even if it was the same price (it isn't)

A firearms company is all set up and making a 38 and selling them , why would they change?

Don't get me wrong , 357 is one of my favorite loads and if somebody made me pick just one revolver (or handgun?) it would likely be what I would grab.

Don't you dare take my 38s from me
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now titanium and Scandium change the rules a bit. But that's the way it used to be. I got both.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0207_zpsbaf77e83.jpg
View Quote

What grips are those on the 642? I've been eyeballing some VZ's for mine, but I'm really liking the look of those.

To the OP, after shooting .38 +p out of a 642, I don't know that I care to shoot much full house .357 out of a gun that light. And, the size/weight is a big part of what I like about the 642.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I love .38 special. It's probably my favorite and most carried round.

I Like .38s because they are small and light and while a .357 can be made as small and light as a .38 they are usually more expensive.

I don't carry .357 in my pocket guns because it is very likely that I will be shooting across my body near my face in a car, or indoors, or places where I don't want to touch off a .357. Blast and noise mean something to me. Take your auditory exclusion and disregard for your own health during a self-defense encounter and shove it. I like the low pressure cartridge for my purposes. My ears and eyes are important to me. The first shot may not be the last. I may need to drive the car after shooting or communicate with people during an encounter.

If I need to I can put some hot BB ammo in my many .38s; they can all handle it.

I don't really have a need for .357. I don't really want it. Maybe there are others like me and that is why they make .38s.

*Cue OldPainless to come in and tell me I'm full of shit because penetration is everything.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Because they sell.

I know what you mean but I think the better question is why would you by a 38 special revolver instead of a 357 that can fire both?

I have many 357's, different styles for varying reasons. The same can be said about many other calibers I have but, only one revolver is in 38 special. As for myself, it was the weight difference. I wanted a small revolver for pocket or ankle carry. I went with the S&W 642 (38+P) as opposed to the 640 (357). The main reason was the weight where the 642 came in at around a bit over 15 ounces vs the 640's 23 + ounces. Another thing is the prices vary about the same amount percentage wise though I'm not pennywise when I spend on firearms. Going with this, for a bit more, I could carry a 642 NY reload without much more expense or weight variation then the single 640.

Besides that, range time is a needed item. Ever fire a steady diet of 357's from a snub? It's not killer but it does get old fast.

The only reason for the snub I have is to get my butt out of a bad place, efficiently.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Even a K-frame (small frame) .357 is still a pretty hefty gun compared to a detectives special or something like that.

As such, .38 spcl loads shot through it are easy to control like shooting a pellet gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 4" 686, so I have no need of a strictly .38 Special revolver. No need, but I wanted one anyway. Barney Fife would be proud of me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Two of mine that I'm perfectly happy with being .38 are a S&W J frame model 40, and a Colt Detective Special.

Given the size of the gun, the ability to get back on target, and associated recoil, I'm perfectly content that .38 is all they can chamber.

With +P .38 I don't think I'm under gunned at all.

ETA  Colt Diamondback is another where the frame size is perfectly suited for .38
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell me about the grips on the Model 60
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What grips are those on the 642? I've been eyeballing some VZ's for mine, but I'm really liking the look of those.

To the OP, after shooting .38 +p out of a 642, I don't know that I care to shoot much full house .357 out of a gun that light. And, the size/weight is a big part of what I like about the 642.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A vintage set of smooth Bianchi Coco Bolos that I found for 10$. You can find them pretty easy. My thinking on the small revolvers is this.
With sticky or abrasive grips, your fighting the recoil. With smooth wood like a SAA it rolls in the hand but as soon as you tighten your grip.
Your right back on target.
To put it more simply you have to roll with the punches. Your hand will thank you and the flinch you avoid will help you be a better shot.

Not a big fan of grippy textures on heavy recoiling pistols. On comp guns it works well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Because they sell.

I know what you mean but I think the better question is why would you by a 38 special revolver instead of a 357 that can fire both?

I have many 357's, different styles for varying reasons. The same can be said about many other calibers I have but, only one revolver is in 38 special. As for myself, it was the weight difference. I wanted a small revolver for pocket or ankle carry. I went with the S&W 642 (38+P) as opposed to the 640 (357). The main reason was the weight where the 642 came in at around a bit over 15 ounces vs the 640's 23 + ounces. Another thing is the prices vary about the same amount percentage wise though I'm not pennywise when I spend on firearms. Going with this, for a bit more, I could carry a 642 NY reload without much more expense or weight variation then the single 640.

Besides that, range time is a needed item. Ever fire a steady diet of 357's from a snub? It's not killer but it does get old fast.

The only reason for the snub I have is to get my butt out of a bad place, efficiently.

View Quote

I bought a .38 649 because I didn't want to spend the extra money on the .357 version. I knew I was never going to fire magnums with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A vintage set of smooth Bianchi Coco Bolos that I found for 10$. You can find them pretty easy. My thinking on the small revolvers is this.
With sticky or abrasive grips, your fighting the recoil. With smooth wood like a SAA it rolls in the hand but as soon as you tighten your grip.
To put it more simply you have to roll with the punches. Your hand will thank you and the flinch you avoid will help you be a better shot.

Not a big fan of grippy textures on heavy recoiling pistols. On comp guns it works well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eBay doesn't seem to be turning up anything. I guess the hunt is on!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
In a very short barreled pistol, there is absolutely no benefit (and lots of downsides) of using .357 vs .38
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Because the ammo is cheaper. Target market.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

True, I was just curious as to the short amount of time the pressure had to work.  1 7/8 ain't a whole lot to work with.

The recoil from my .38 lightweight is pretty stout.  I would hate to drop the hammer on a mag load in a similar sized pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the point I was trying to make was:  it's better to be able to do something in a pinch, vs. not being able to do something if you need to.  That's all.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#31]
There is no damn way in Hell I'd want to shoot a .357 that is small enough to fit in my pant's pocket; my 642 jumps enough shooting +p's.

I have a Model 28 for my .357 Magnum needs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a SW 637 it is as trim as is safe. It is tiny and very light weight, the barrel is even tapered to reduce weight. I'd figure they would have to lengthen and bulk up the frame, cylinder and barrel to make it safe to shoot full house .357 loads. that would add another 2-4 oz and a quatrer inch in length. If you have never held a 637, it is a very nice little gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Simple question. Why do gun companies still make .38 special pistols? I understand the validity of the cailiber, but why not just make them all .357 mags so they have more options as a gun?  I' d guess the weight added to make the.357 capable can't be so big as to make it  a way more limited revolver ammo wise.
View Quote

The new rounds of .38 shows there are no difference between it and .357 & .44mag. Yoou also get better follow up shots!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I have shot both the little .38 and little lightweight .357 . The .357 is noticeably harder to control than the .38 with +p loads . This gets discussed about every 2 years .
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Even a K-frame (small frame) .357 is still a pretty hefty gun compared to a detectives special or something like that.

http://i57.tinypic.com/m9ln2w.jpg

As such, .38 spcl loads shot through it are easy to control like shooting a pellet gun.
View Quote

Pretty!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Shooting my air weight with a decent +p load is enough punishment.  The excess flash and slower follow up shots would outweigh any marginal lethality it would gain me.  If I'm buying a K frame or above would go .357 for a snubbie I'll stick to .38 special.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love looking at used grips, they typically don't bring a lot. With a one inch dowel and some sand paper you can make them your own.
A couple of coats of Tru-Oil and some rubbing and they look factory made. They are pretty damn good as you buy them.
Fit one set to yourself and they can travel from one J frame to the next. Well any frame K, L or N for that manner.

Like a old set of shoes or boots. Once you slap "your" grips on it. That new gun feels like a old friend.
Just my personal opinion.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have shot both the little .38 and little lightweight .357 . The .357 is noticeably harder to control than the .38 with +p loads . This gets discussed about every 2 years .
View Quote

.38 +p out of a j-frame sized gun is hard enough to shoot that most people who own them probably don't shoot them very well at all.  I'm talking about the kind of people who own one gun and shoot it once a year if they're lucky.  The recoil is snappy.

.357 out of the same sized gun is brutal.  I show a cylinder through a .357 j-frame, and it felt like I was throwing my hand up to stop somebody swinging a baseball bat.  My hand was twitching for hours afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm a fan of the .38 for any barrel shorter than 4".  My Python won't fit in my pocket, and it weighs more than my BHP with 13 rounds.  Love wheel guns, but I do t think the wrist snapping fireball of .357 is worth it in short barrel, light weight pistols.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

As others said, .38 is lighter weight but can't handle the .357 load

Nice collection

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:48:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nice collection

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice collection

I thank you. For summer it's the 642 and winter with a bit heavier clothing I go with the 60.
I have a chance at a  S&W 681 in 357 I just might turn into my all around gun.
Kind of over did it with my 45 Colt Bisley Vaquero. Finding a big bear ain't happening anytime soon around here.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Wanna know how I know you have never show a scandium J-Frame?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:59:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sold your model 10? Why would you do that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wanna know how I know you have never show a scandium J-Frame?
View Quote

I'm not dumb enough to spend the money to buy one?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Probably for the same reason they make pistols in calibers other than 45. What's that word i'm looking for??? Oh yeah CHOICE.   Besides if they were to produce 357 only used brass would be panic priced all the time.
You don't like or feel the need for a 38, great more for us.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#46]
I can find that kind of punishment in a alloy frame for much less cost.

So please show us you Scandium S&W there partner.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Probably for the same reason they make pistols in calibers other than 45. What's that word i'm looking for??? Oh yeah CHOICE.   Besides if they were to produce 357 only used brass would be panic priced all the time.
You don't like or feel the need for a 38, great more for us.
View Quote

I like your thinking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like .38

and why would you sell a K-frame what's wrong with you!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because some people don't want to shoot a .357 and they don't need no stinkin' options or an extra 1/8" cylinder length and bullet jump for their 38s. I love my Model 49 Bodyguard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Because fuck you that's why. Leave my .38 Spl. alone.  Leave my .357 mag alone.  Why do you want my .38 caliber bullets to have to jump another 1/4 inch before they get to the rifling.  Why do you want to spoil the perfect lines and proportions of all good J Frame Smiths with that distorted short penis compensating longer .357 cylinder.  If I wanted a gun chambered in .357 Magnum I would have bought one (and I did). Why do you hate .38 SPL!!!???!?!?!?!?!

IT AIN'T BROKE!!!!!!!   LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK IS FUCKING WRONG WITH YOU???!!!!!!!!!!

/rant
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top