Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2014 4:14:39 PM EDT
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/10/01/navy-searches-for-marine-who-fell-off-osprey-into-arabian-gulf.html?comp=7000023317843&rank=1

U.S. Navy and Marine Corps forces in the North Arabian Gulf are searching for a missing aircrew member who fell off a MV-22 Osprey on Wednesday.

The Marine was one of two aircrew members who fell off the Osprey and landed in the water after the MV-22 lost power on takeoff from USS Makin Island, an amphibious assault ship.

Two members of the aircrew bailed out of the aircraft into the Arabian Gulf, Navy officials said. One crewmember was safely recovered and is now in stable condition aboard the Makin Island.

The pilot of the Osprey was able to regain control and safely land aboard the ship. The Navy and Marine Corps will investigate the cause of the incident, officials said.

Navy officials said the search efforts are ongoing as hope remains that crews will find the crewmember alive. Navy ships, aircraft and boats are all taking part in the search and rescue effort

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
sure hope they find him.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sure hope they find him.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks. People are lost at sea all the time.

Hope they find the young man.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope he wasn't a brick swimmer like me. Keep treading man, they're looking for ya.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
shitty situation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#6]
he should have a dye pack and a life vest, no?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

sure hope they find him.

View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
he should have a dye pack and a life vest, no?
View Quote

Yes, all that stuff is integral to the flight vest
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
So did he fall or bail out? That is the last bit of water I would want to be in. Full of jellyfish, sea snakes, and its warm enough for sharks. Plus its hot as fuck and the exposure will cook you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So did he fall or bail out? That is the last bit of water I would want to be in. Full of jellyfish, sea snakes, and its warm enough for sharks. Plus its hot as fuck and the exposure will cook you.
View Quote

Prayers for a safe recovery.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Crap. I hope they find him in good health.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Drownproofing....

Now is when it becomes necessary....

Hoping for a rescue...

Ted...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

sure hope they find him.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayers for the lost Marine and his family.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

militarydotcom failed on this.

Having been a Huey crew chief I was pretty much always clipped to the bird in one way or another unless the doors were closed, but did run free while helping out on 53's. I had run through scenarios in my mind what I'd do if we were to lose power over water and came to the conclusion I would make that decision if the time came.

If the Osprey lost power I could see the tail dipping as the surprised pilot increased angle of attack on the blades in an attempt to keep the bird from falling. A suddenly dropping tail could have easily dumped (eta an unsecured crew) out the back if the ramp was down.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

+87.....keep looking for him bros.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Hope they find him...the ocean is a lonely place when your ship is steaming away from you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I was in fixed wing so I can't comment other than to say that no one on my crew ever made an individual decision to get out of the plane. Training for ditching is ingrained in FW aircrews, I'm sure the rotary guys train for all the different scenarios too. So I'm not sure about how an individual aircrew decides to bail on their own.  

I hope he was conscious enough to inflate his LPA.  He should have pencil flares, strobe light and a dye marker at a minimum in his LPA vest.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Having been a Huey crew chief I was pretty much always clipped to the bird in one way or another unless the doors were closed, but did run free while helping out on 53's. I had run through scenarios in my mind what I'd do if we were to lose power over water and came to the conclusion I would make that decision if the time came.

If the Osprey lost power I could see the tail dipping as the surprised pilot increased angle of attack on the blades in an attempt to keep the bird from falling. A suddenly dropping tail could have easily dumped (eta an unsecured crew) out the back if the ramp was down.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the pilot went nose up to gain altitude after a loss of power would it be safe to assume they were in airplane mode? If so, I wonder how high up was the fall and at what speed. Even if it was only 50 feet, if he hit at something north of 100 mph I don't think I would survive impact with the water.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
sure hope they find him.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If the pilot went nose up to gain altitude after a loss of power would it be safe to assume they were in airplane mode? If so, I wonder how high up was the fall and at what speed. Even if it was only 50 feet, if he hit at something north of 100 mph I don't think I would survive impact with the water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legs together, arms crossed, chin tucked and stay vertical.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Just found out I went to boot camp with the missing crew chief. Makin Island is under com restrictions but I will give updates as soon as I hear them.

Stay strong brother.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Hope they find him.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lost power on take off. They were not in Airplane mode most likely.  Sounds like they cleared deck edge and dropped.  Either the crewmen in the back made the choice to bail (possible) or they weren't hooked up properly/adequetly and tumbled(probable)

Another possibility is that they dumped out crewdoor/ AO window on belts due to power loss and made choice to release belts rather than be stuck outside of aircraft during a crash.  I know I had more than a few hard landings where I almost got tossed out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

sure hope they find him.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Drownproofing....

Now is when it becomes necessary....

Hoping for a rescue...

Ted...
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Apparently, everyone else was saved because they stayed strapped in.

This is the second DUSTWUN in less than a week!  First was a Marine carried out to sea on Tinian.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Im heartbroken to say he did not make it. Family has been notified.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#35]
They found an A4 guy 8 days and a hundred miles from the crash when I was stationed at Gitmo. They had called off the search and were getting ready for an empty casket funeral when a Bahamian fishing boat found the guy. ETA: the current between Haiti and Cuba caught him and swept him out of the search area.

Prayers out for my younger brother.

Post above mine while I was typing said the worst.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
T.
View Quote

Prayers going out...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
T.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
T.
View Quote

I'm sorry Brother.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Godspeed.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Damnit. Semper Fi bro's. RIP and prayers to the family and friends...

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Just awful.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#47]
RIP

Deepest sympathy to family and friends.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Damnit. Semper Fi bro's. RIP and prayers to the family and friends...

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top