Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/30/2014 12:27:08 PM EDT
I'm not talking about someone just giving you something randomly, like the clap, I mean something you received at a time for normally receiving gifts.  i.e. Birthday, Christmas, Wedding, etc...

The thread from a couple of days ago about a crappy present gave me the idea for what seemed worthy of it's own thread.  I'll recant the story I posted there that was lost in oblivian for starters.

College roomate (4 bedroom house with 4 guys) gave me a present for my birthday which consisted of a card and a pack of Starburst candy and another candy bar. I didn't expect anything from a roomate for my birthday so I thought it was a nice gesture.
I later found out that this roomate had stolen several checks from my checkbook and wrote 21 checks signing my name to the tune of $600. One of those checks was written for the purchase of afore mentioned card and candy...

So, what's the worst gift you've received? (other than nothing)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a snow globe as a wedding gift a few months back.  What the fuck am I gonna do with a snow globe?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a snow globe as a wedding gift a few months back.  What the fuck am I gonna do with a snow globe?
View Quote

Target practice of course.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:  that will be a tough one.  I shoot out at my buddy's property and his mom was the one who gave it to me .
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Shoot it...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Wedding Gift:

3 Quintain Terrantino Films from a guy who had just bought a brand new BMW 3-Series.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Golf themed pen set, i didn't golf then. I got it for being in a wedding.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
A slinky when I turned 27. A slinky....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Was a consultant. Parent consulting company gave me a $50 gift certificate to Lands End...for working 4 90+ hour weeks, over y2k. No bonus, just that. Never mind the usual 50+ hour weeks.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#9]
My ex-wife would buy me clothes she liked for birthdays and Christmas.  I am a shorts and t-shirt kinda guy, she would buy me skinny jeans and lame button up shirts.  Once she bought be some faggotyass shiny pointy toes shoes.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Over 20 years ago a GF gave me a suit for Christmas.  I had no need for a suit really and was pissed about it.  Said nothing and went home early on Christmas eve.  Was given a game controller for Christmas, joystick for a computer for playing games.  I didn't have a computer at the time nor did I play games.  For a wedding present, (been divorced 20 years now) somebody gave us an electric knife.  It's still in the back of my cupboard in the original box unopened.  WTF am I gonna do with that?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
A stack of Jehovah literature that my cousin gave me when my daughter was born.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Wedding gift: a massive, super-heavy, solid-brass table ornament of one hand putting a wedding band on another hand.

I sold it for scrap.  I got $85 for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Some time in high school I was given a rocking chair for Christmas.  There was no room in my bedroom for a chair.  It didn't fit with the furniture for any of the family rooms.  The specialty shop where my mom got it didn't accept returns.  So it sat in our attic until I moved into my first apartment about four years later.

Even worse, it broke within the first month of actual use.  The seat wouldn't stay bolted to the frame and, while rocking,  would slide forward  enough to fall off the supports and drop the person and seat on the floor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
For Christmas one year I received rusted iron wind chimes.  From my mother, no less.
She thought they looked like 'art'.

Nevermind that I live in a place I couldn't hang them, even if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
A cheap Marilyn Monroe jewelry stand. I don't wear a lot of jewelry and have no particular interest in Marilyn Monroe. It looked like this:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Prior to leaving Afghanistan for the last time, my interpreter gave me a bottle of perfume. Not cologne, perfume.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A cheap Marilyn Monroe jewelry stand. I don't wear a lot of jewelry and have no particular interest in Marilyn Monroe. It looked like this:

http://www.jacquisjewelryboutique.com/i//tn_DSCN3294.JPG
View Quote

That thing is weird.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That thing is weird.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing is weird.

It's fucking creepy. I still refer to it as Medusa Monroe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Used merchandise return gift card that has been used also.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#20]
My sister had the idea of having everybody in the family give my wife and me a Christmas ornament at our first Christmas get-together after we got married and got our own place.  We got some seriously hideous ornaments.  One was a pair of gold-glitter-covered shoes.  Who puts shoes on their Christmas tree?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My ex-wife would buy me clothes she liked for birthdays and Christmas.  I am a shorts and t-shirt kinda guy, she would buy me skinny jeans and lame button up shirts.  Once she bought be some faggotyass shiny pointy toes shoes.  

View Quote

Hmmmmmmm    

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Prior to leaving Afghanistan for the last time, my interpreter gave me a bottle of perfume. Not cologne, perfume.
View Quote
Maybe he thought you you had a "purdy mouth"

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

That looks like a monster in a bad computer game.  Put it in front of the snow globe and shoot it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing is weird.

Half of gd would hit it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hmmmmmmm    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm    

She has since remarried and that is exactly how her husband dresses from what I have seen.  More power to the both of them.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys spend many Thursdays together?  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
How long did they last?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I got a $10 Starbucks gift card at work right when they announced their "please leave your guns home" policy. I wanted to take it to the range & shoot it but the local range has a "please leave your cameras home" policy. I figure I can probably use it to open a lock or chop up some rails or something...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How long did they last?

Good question, I am not sure what became of them.  Maybe she kept them and found a man that liked them.  She did move to Austin.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing is weird.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#31]
$25.00 gift card to White Castle
Nearest location would have had me driving from Arizona to Kentucky.

Took it to one of those exchange machines, turns out the card had never been "activated"(or some such) and was worthless.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Half of gd would hit it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing is weird.

Half of gd would hit it.

The male half of Tokyo would line up for that shit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#33]
The last Christmas before the ex left. She got me some razor blades.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I got one of those woven cord stools 20+ years ago for Christmas and at the time I was like WTF but then I found out how useful it was so I bought another.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife got lingerie from my dad/stepmom for our wedding shower.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
. a nose hair trimmer .
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Somehow my dad ended up in charge of my 17th birthday present and I got two road flares and a kite.  There was a brief moment when I thought the road flares were sticks of dynamite but that high quickly faded as I read the side.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

We talking classy or trashy?

Pics would really help to understand.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Three years in a row for Christmas I got the Office Space Box/Gift Set from my brother.

What do I need with 3 DVD's of Office Space, three red staplers, three mouse pads, and three "Jump to Conclusions" mats?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Offer of a blow job.

But it wasn't from someone I'd want one from.  And he definitely had manhands.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Nothing. I stopped getting holiday/ birthday sex years ago and usually get nothing unless I get it for myself. At least now my kids are old enough to make me cards from construction paper and crayons. I really do like getting those.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#42]
although not terrible its just kinda
a lady my wife knows got us a ultra expensive plate/platter

its gigantic, it looks like melted glass, its covered in glitter
it cant hold anything due to not having any sides
it cant hold anything you like because it gets glitter all over everything
and it was $$$
I guess you would hang it on the wall as art, but it is ugly as sin
currently it sits on our fridge holding dust
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Sister got me fucking BBQ sauce for Christmas.  This after she wrote $2k worth of checks in my name to herself while I was deployed.  

Fuck that bitch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Somehow my dad ended up in charge of my 17th birthday present and I got two road flares and a kite.  There was a brief moment when I thought the road flares were sticks of dynamite but that high quickly faded as I read the side.
View Quote

LOL, can't stop laughing at this one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
although not terrible its just kinda
a lady my wife knows got us a ultra expensive plate/platter

its gigantic, it looks like melted glass, its covered in glitter
it cant hold anything due to not having any sides
it cant hold anything you like because it gets glitter all over everything
and it was $$$
I guess you would hang it on the wall as art, but it is ugly as sin
currently it sits on our fridge holding dust
View Quote

It's probably a charger for a serving platter. That would be a decorative plate that you put under the useful one for some unknown reason. No purpose other than decoration. More common for dinner plates, but I suppose you could have one for a serving platter.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like to read into things... and this reads to me like they can't wait to be grandparents
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
. a nose hair trimmer .
View Quote

Someone was trying to tell you something.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#48]
3 Xmas ago wife (now ex) gave me a miniature air hockey table that looked like it came from a gas station.

The next year I got an ugly ass shirt from some discount store that literally shrank to fit one of my daughters after one wash.

IIRC, I spent over $1K on her both of those years

She told me about he wanting a divorce a couple weeks later (the day after my older daughters bday)

She was a stone cold bitch and I'm glad I'm rid of her.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#49]
A belt. Studded, like punk rock biker style.  Used.  For my birthday from someone who was supposed to be one of my best friends.  Now he's just an asshole who owes me money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread makes me miss sevenmarythree.  

The *worst* one I ever got was a single purple pillow case at my wedding shower.  It was from some little old lady friend of the family and maybe it was all she had to give.  Makes me tear up.  

She certainly didn't have to get a gift at all but she did and she got herself dressed and came to my shower without even really knowing me.  I'll never forget that one purple pillow case.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top