Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/30/2014 1:41:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Source

OLYMPIA, Wash., Sept. 29 (UPI) -- Mount Saint Helens is showing signs of reawakening as a preamble to erupting, reports the USGS ten years after the last sign of volcanic activity.

USGS reveled new technology to monitor the volcano's activity and mentioned it is seeing the precursors to eruption. The lava dome hasn't erupted since 2008, but is showing signs that the magma chamber responsible for eruptions is "recharging."
View Quote
View Quote

Fuck
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember when it woke up in 2004. The whole high school gathered to watch out the windows.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Meh I have seen some of the small eruptions in the early 2000's I grew up in the shadow of that mountain. My family experienced the big eruption. unless you are within 10 miles from it you should not be afraid. Now mt Rainier is a bigger concern. when it goes expect over a hundred thousand dead.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
That can't be good...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That can't be good...
View Quote

Small eruptions, good.  Big eruptions, bad.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Ruh Roh
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Jeez, not again. Could be worse, Rainier is the one I'm worried about, when that goes this place is going to be fucked.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm ready

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I lived through the first one , I say "Bring it"

Of coarse, I'm not down stream.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:56:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meh I have seen some of the small eruptions in the early 2000's I grew up in the shadow of that mountain. My family experienced the big eruption. unless you are within 10 miles from it you should not be afraid. Now mt Rainier is a bigger concern. when it goes expect over a hundred thousand dead.
View Quote

Yeah Rainier will kill a lot of people when it goes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#12]

... What are we looking at exactly?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Source

OLYMPIA, Wash., Sept. 29 (UPI) -- Mount Saint Helens is showing signs of reawakening as a preamble to erupting, reports the USGS ten years after the last sign of volcanic activity.

USGS reveled new technology to monitor the volcano's activity and mentioned it is seeing the precursors to eruption. The lava dome hasn't erupted since 2008, but is showing signs that the magma chamber responsible for eruptions is "recharging."
View Quote
View Quote
I would puke too if i know who was "in charge"

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:02:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I was a kid coming down the mountains in eastern Washington on a Honda CR80 when it blew in 1980.

I remember these strange clouds coming from the west.  They were just huge, across the whole horizon.
Then the ash started falling and it was pitch dark at 4 in the afternoon...like the end of the world as far as a 10 year old kid was concerned.

Turned on the tv and saw what had happened.

Something I will never forget.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I remember when she blew her top in 1980.   Dark billowing clouds rolled in.   Our street lights came on from 200 miles away.   I thought the Russians just nuked us.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The WSP rigged the cars to pull air from the interior of their cruisers - Dad ruined our VW bug when I was kid because he drove in the ash.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:04:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe that those tubes take air from inside the car and are routed to the air intake of the police car to limit intake of ash into the engine.  That pic is from the last big eruption of Mt. St. Helens
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#18]
OfHappenings.jpg?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Well...... been wanting to kayak the Toutle river.  An eruption would bump it up a notch.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I wasn't born yet for 1980... My family was living in Washington at the time I believe and moved to Oregon shortly after.

what's this about 2004 or 2008?  I don't remember it doing anything at all then. For as long as I can remember the lava dome was building back up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:17:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I watched it go up in 1980... the height of the ash cloud was unbelievable... the way it roiled up it was almost as if you were looking at something that was alive... it was something that a video will never do justice to..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I look at the mountain every day from my front porch (about 40 miles from my place).  It's easy to tell when it's doing something from the many cars parked along side of the highway with folks pointing their camera phones that way.

A good friend was a kid the last time it erupted.  Him and a buddy made good money cleaning out ash from peoples gutters before they fell off the house.  Right up until they were told to stop because they didn't have a permit.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I hiked up Monitor Ridge to the summit in 2008
you could hear boulders rolling off the lava dome as it rised
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:31:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:32:11 AM EDT
[#25]

I was in Germany that day in 1980...one of my buddies came up and said "ain't you from Washington"?

"Yeah, what about it?"

"It just blew up."

Well, fuck

I reckon if one of the Cascade volcanoes wants to get frisky, St. Helens is probably the least dangerous, along with Mt Adams.

Mt. Rainier, though...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Mt. Saint Helens, before and after pix:

I guess this is the new lava dome:

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I lived in Hillsboro, Or when the big eruption happened. I was about 5 y/o at the time but I remember standing in our driveway and seeing this enormous mushroom cloud.

I walked to kindergarten with a particulate mask on for weeks, trudging through ash that seemed to be as deep as I was tall. To this day you can still find ash in rain gutters of houses that were around at that time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I will admit my ignorance on why Rainier is dangerous.   So why are folks in WA more afraid of Rainier than Helens?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I will admit my ignorance on why Rainier is dangerous.   So why are folks in WA more afraid of Rainier than Helens?
View Quote

closer to the cities
MSH is pretty remote
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically, it's close to a major metro area, it has huge amounts of glacial ice on it, and sub-glacial water movement circulates acidic water, which turns the volcanic rock into clay.

Mt Rainier is also dangerous because it doesn't need to erupt to cause a major disaster. A giant lahar could happen as a result of a minor quake, or just because gravity sucks.

Mt. Rainier

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:15:26 AM EDT
[#31]
How's Yellowstone doing?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#32]
You want small eruptions occasionally to bleed off pressure inside the volcano.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Basically, it's close to a major metro area, it has huge amounts of glacial ice on it, and sub-glacial water movement circulates acidic water, which turns the volcanic rock into clay.

Mt Rainier is also dangerous because it doesn't need to erupt to cause a major disaster. A giant lahar could happen as a result of a minor quake, or just because gravity sucks.

Mt. Rainier

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt. Rainier

Geez, you learn something new every day. That's one hell of a scenario.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Mt. Rainier

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt. Rainier

When I was stationed at Fort Lewis we had occasional drills on what to do if there was an eruption on rainier. Basically, it came down to put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

The pyroclastic flow would annihilate everything in its path with almost no warning or time to get the fuck out of the way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Magma...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt. Rainier

Rainer eruption = all the glaciers in the affected area will melt, mix with the particulate form the eruption and make a nasty mud mix with trees and whatever else the water picks up on the way down the mountain. Anyone in low lying areas will be in a world of shit.

Similar to this

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:35:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Peak pantyhose air filters.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#38]
St. Helen's going again would suck. Rainer going would be much worse. I might even get cooked where I live, but the lahar would not get me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm gonna go see this shit
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Peak pantyhose air filters.
View Quote

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The caldera under Yellowstone would be more...errr..."fun"...  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt. Rainier

More reading, if you're interested. Mt. Rainier Lahars

It's nice here, no poisonous snakes, no tornadoes, mild weather...

...but it comes at a cost.

We are also subject to the occasional mega-earthquake/tsunami... Cascadis Subduction Zone

Be sure to check out t he link to the 1700 quake.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
As others said, not as remote, and a whoooole lot more people and cities on 20 (give or take 10) foot deep mudflows from it's prior eruptions.

Best analogy (blown out of proportion or not?) I got off the top of my head would be;  St Helens damage and fatalities (27 people iirc) as a row-boat sinking compared to Rainier being the Titanic sinking.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Spirit Lake still looks like Oatmeal! It's going to be awesome.

As far as Rainier... Meh. Meh I say. I live on a hill. If the massive mudslides even get to me, what am I going to do? Just weather it I guess...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Ring of fire!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Call me when the Kraken awakens.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Crazy.

Hope nothing big happens.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm ready

View Quote

WTF is that?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn nature, you scary!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top