Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2014 3:23:50 AM EDT

I present to you Tanya Tagaq, an Inuit singer demonstrating her style of singing known as "throat singing."

Enjoy.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:27:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Did Yoko Ono have a daughter I wasn't aware of?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Only if she was knocking boots with Eskimos......which...now that I think about it.....maybe.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard cats make similar sounds while choking to death on chicken bone splinters.

That bitch is on some serious shit to have even thought that sounds remotely harmonic.

Congrats JR, you are the first person that made me ever want to stab my ears out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Congrats JR, you are the first person that made me ever want to stab my ears out.
View Quote

Perhaps she just needs a second chance?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Da fuq did I just watch?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Needs moar exorcist.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I made it to :42 seconds and couldn't take anymore of that noise.

While I have zero musical abilities, I believe what she is doing is called grunting.  Then again, I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I made it to :42 seconds and couldn't take anymore of that noise.

While I have zero musical abilities, I believe what she is doing is called grunting.  Then again, I could be mistaken.
View Quote

You made it further than I did. I could only stand 37 seconds of that...... Whatever the fuck it was.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting fact about Yoko Ono:

Lennon said many times that he never wanted his body to be cremated when he died.  The thought of it was appalling to him.

Within 24 hours of his death, Yoko had him cremated, without consulting any of his other surviving family.

Nice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lennon said many times that he never wanted his body to be cremated when he died.  The thought of it was appalling to him.

Within 24 hours of his death, Yoko had him cremated, without consulting any of his other surviving family.

Nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.

Oh, no.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#13]
People actually paid to see that? Last I checked, there wasn't a whole lot of disposable income in Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People actually paid to see that? Last I checked, there wasn't a whole lot of disposable income in Mexico.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Paid?  Not only that, she's an award winner in Canadia!

Inuk throat singer Tanya Tagaq beat out Arcade Fire, Drake, Mac DeMarco and others to win the Polaris Prize, Canada's annual award for the country's best full-length album of the year.

The outspoken singer, who has spoken about her indigenous peoples' reliance on seal for food, clothing and other uses, was blunt in her acceptance speech, saying, in part, "People should wear and eat seal as much as possible. An indigenous culture is thriving and surviving on a renewable resource: wearing and eating seal. It's delicious, and there's lots of them, and fuck PETA." Earlier this year, Tagaq raised the ire of animal rights activists after posting a picture of her daughter next to a dead seal. She subsequently received online death threats.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tanya-tagaq-arcade-fire-drake-polaris-prize-20140923
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#16]
25 seconds. That's all the gargling with Liquid Plumr I could handle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]
All I could think of when watching this was....

"Your mama sure cares about your schoolin."

"HEEE HEEE HEEEE HEEE HEEE!"

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
That sounds more like an asthma attack.

Here's some actual throat singing:

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
That's one way to make 8:13 feel like a lifetime.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
check out this chick doing it with some control.

Nice tits as a bonus:

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That sounds more like an asthma attack.

Here's some actual throat singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFSB4PnVPI
View Quote

OH MY GOD!! IT"S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#24]
then there's karl pilkington:

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#25]
no, just no. I seriously wonder about a culture that developed that as art. Maybe their brains were frozen.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually I think that sounds pretty awesome.  Hard to believe a human can make those complex sounds.

I'm not saying it's easy listening or anything, or that I'd want to listen to more than a few minutes of it, but it does sound pretty amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top