Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 8:44:12 PM EDT
I just came back from Humboldt County, CA after helping my aunt prepare he vacation home for sale. She offered me this pickup for free.

She purchased this truck new in 2004 to replace an old Mercedes she kept up there (she lives in LA and flies up).

It has approx. 21k miles, and has been parked in a garage.

It has 4 doors and a V6, it says "PRERUNNER" on the tailgate. It seems to have almost all options, except for a sunroof, and 3 blank switch panels on the inside. It drives really nice.

I have no current use for this vehicle since I live in Manhattan, so I'll probably stash it at a relative's upstate, or a friend's in Westchester.

It is currently registered, and I may have to fly out to pick it up and drive it back on short notice if the house gets sold (it is currently listed).

So, are they good trucks?

http://s326.photobucket.com/user/phb1gt/media/IMG161_zpsulybpnyx.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s326.photobucket.com/user/phb1gt/media/IMG162_zps0e5tsphq.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably worth about $19,000
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Good truck, especially for free.

I don't believe the prerunner versions are 4x4.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

aaahhh FP...wouldn't expect anything less
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this!

Make sure it has a new frame for the full $19k "value."

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It'll have a 3.4 V6, per runner is a 2WD truck that has the stance of a 4x4. The double cab is the most desirable version. Last of the small Tacomas.

I had an '02 4x4 double cab for 160K miles and other than regular maintenance all I ever had to replace was a mass airflow sensor. (Caused a check engine light).

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
"Prerunner" is 2wd but with 4x4 frame and suspension.

V6 is a 3.4, good engine, timing belt needed at 100K.

A low mileage example like that is worth an abnormal amount of money in California. Pretty much all the east coast trucks have either been crushed by Toyota or are on their second frame so I am not sure what the east coast market is like.

Good, bulletproof, reliable truck that will dissolve quickly in NY.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI. I thought I'd be fast enough.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my '04 back in '04 and still love it. I take it off road every now and then as mine is 4 wheel drive. I had to replace the clutch last year but other than a battery, 2 sets of tires and almost 180,000 miles this truck has been very dependable. Not once has it left me stranded on the side of the road!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I thought it sat really high for a 2wd.

Think I ought to replace the batt. before driving cross-country (it's orig., but the truck has sat for up to 10 mos. w/o being moved)?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]

About rust, I'm a little worried about that. Her place is right on a cliff overlooking the coast, and EVERYTHING rusts because of the salt mist. The old w123 Benz she kept up there was in as bad shape as a few of my old cars that were from the Northeast.

For instance, the house was built in 1975, and the rebar sticking out of one of the retaining walls has rusted away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I just came back from Humboldt County, CA after helping my aunt prepare he vacation home for sale. She offered me this pickup for free.

She purchased this truck new in 2004 to replace an old Mercedes she kept up there (she lives in LA and flies up).

It has 4 doors and a V6, it says "PRERUNNER" on the tailgate. It seems to have almost all options, except for a sunroof, and 3 blank switch panels on the inside. It drives really nice.

I have no current use for this vehicle since I live in Manhattan, so I'll probably stash it at a relative's upstate, or a friend's in Westchester.

It is currently registered, and I may have to fly out to pick it up and drive it back on short notice if the house gets sold (it is currently listed).

View Quote

I have 2003 Tacoma 4WD V6, my first serious issue was an 02 sensor i had to replace this week.

I'd be concerned about the 21K miles, that screams very little useage or the bulk of the milage is short trips which can lead to sludge and carbon.

The prerunner is like the 4WD models without the 4WD that's why it sits high

2 of the three switches are probably for Rear Differential lock and clutch start cancel, these are the ones to the left and below the tachometer.  No idea what the third one is, where is it located?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have 2003 Tacoma 4WD V6, my first serious issue was an 02 sensor i had to replace this week.
I'd be concerned about the 21K miles, that screams very little useage or the bulk of the milage is short trips which can lead to sludge and carbon.

2 of the three switches are probably for Rear Differential lock and clutch start cancel, these are the ones to the left and below the tachometer.  No idea what the third one is, where is it located?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exclusively short trips. The truck probably hasn't left NorCal since it was purchased. I suppose I ought to do a motor-flush and oil change w/ synthetic before I drive it cross-country.

I don't remember where the 3rd switch blank was, 2 of them were right by the ashtray.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I had thought to crawl underneath it w/ a flashlight to see how bad the rust was.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wish I had thought to crawl underneath it w/ a flashlight to see how bad the rust was.
View Quote

You should be fine.

The coastal salt mist has more of an impact on the exterior sheetmetal then it does the undercarriage.

Tacomas do a pretty good job of not rusting as far as the body. It is road salt spray caked on the chassis that usually does them in.

My 96 Tacoma lived near the beach for several years. Just some very, very minor surface rust on the chassis. Less then 1 years worth of winter driving equivalent.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#15]
You should sell it in Cali.

A 2wd truck is worth considerably less in a state that gets snow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Exclusively short trips. The truck probably hasn't left NorCal since it was purchased. I suppose I ought to do a motor-flush and oil change w/ synthetic before I drive it cross-country.

I don't remember where the 3rd switch blank was, 2 of them were right by the ashtray.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the two by the ashtray were used on any model. Dash on mine is slightly different so I am not 100% sure.

Take a close look at the tires too. 10 years is about the end of the useful life of tires these days, especially if you are planning to take it cross country.
Then again, if the truck was indoors, they should be ok.

If you don't want to hassle with driving it cross country and finding a home for it, that truck would sell very fast and for a pretty good price.
Tacomas are kind of the official truck of California. Used ones, especially low mileage ones in super clean shape command a premium.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Great score of a great truck.  I've got a '99 4x4 TRD.  No frame rust on mine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Pics soon.

Internet went down so I'm on my phone
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Sell it and buy one with 4x4. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, especially in the northeast.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd be all over that like white on rice.

I wanted an older Tacoma bad when I needed a new vehicle in 2005, but the damn resale value of those things is so high I ended up getting a new 2006 model for slightly more. The 04s were the last of the small Tacomas, and very desirable in good shape.

My 2006 just hit 110,000 miles and I've only had to replace brake pads once, no other parts/repairs. It spent the first four years of its life in Massachusetts and Connecticut,  and has been cross country several times. Great trucks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Pics in OP.

Sorry you have to copy & paste, my computer is acting fucky
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:06:57 AM EDT
[#23]
You suck at posting photos
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#24]
There are no pics.  How can your computer be preventing you from clicking the button, but not be preventing you from getting on this site and posting?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:09:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My has two blank switch panels, one is used the optional Toyota VIP alarm sensor

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Taco looks fantastic shape.  

Easy $10k+ right there.   Very Easy!

Might get $12,500 for it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#27]
OP, if nothing else, drive it back to NY. Post craigslist ads along your route, and sell it, then fly back to NY. Low mileage Tacoma for that year should sell QUICK.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:08:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I fixed the pics.

Thanks for the info; pls keep it coming.

I see I can convert it to 4wd for less than 3 grand in parts (I have access to a shop, and I've done engines and tranny's on Town Cars before, so It shouldn't be too bad.).

What's the ARFCOM of 1st-gen Tacoma's?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I fixed the pics.

Thanks for the info; pls keep it coming.

I see I can convert it to 4wd for less than 3 grand in parts (I have access to a shop, and I've done engines and tranny's on Town Cars before, so It shouldn't be too bad.).

What's the ARFCOM of 1st-gen Tacoma's?
View Quote

You would be better off selling that thing in its current condition unmolested, where it will bring the most money.

Then buy a 4x4 of your choice, with money left over for tires, bumpers, and other parts, if you don't buy a vehicle that already has them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:19:42 AM EDT
[#30]
The sheriffs association sticker means it has had drugs in it, I can nearly guaranty it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly  the post I came to this thread looking  for

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The sheriffs association sticker means it has had drugs in it, I can nearly guaranty it.
View Quote

Funny you mention that.

Humboldt cnty is part of the "Emerald Triangle", apparently some of the world's best MJ is grown there.

Me and my aunt's handyman/caretaker were checking out her watertank that feeds her landscaping, and we found a garden hose. We followed it approx. a quarter-mile and it disappeared underground. Handyman said it was surely for an MJ grow.

Fuckers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top