Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/21/2014 11:18:42 PM EDT
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3777744595

For the past few months....no - years actually.....sporadic outages, and horrific speed decreases.  Yeah, I know, first world problems...  But what the fuck does it take to get some real interwebs to semi rural areas?   I am talking like 2-3 miles out of town where there is cable, and even FIOS....Third world countries have better speeds than we do.  Kim Jung Kong probably has 3TB down...There are fiber CO hubs out here, and when they first installed it, my internet was actually not bad.  Now it's almost not even usable.  Youtube - hahahaha - nope.  

Speeds:
Ping - said 49ms, but took over a minute to get that result.  That math didnt add up eh?
Download - .85mb/s (yes, POINT 85)
Upload - .25mb/s

I have gotten 17 down and 12 up with my ATT 4GLTE phone tethered, but that fucking data cap!!!  How can one win?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got that shitty "line of sight" dsl and I'm 7 miles outside of a decent sized college town. I've heard that all of the internet and cellular service providers are waiting for the government to subsidize their expansion. Maybe after enough FSA types move outside the city limits, it will happen.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe wireless one day.  Nobody' s stretching fiber out to bumfuck without a gun to their head.  That shit don't pay.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Lets play a game.  Click refresh.  Count.  What number do you get to before the screen is totally reloaded......  GO!  6 seconds for me.  SIX.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lets play a game.  Click refresh.  Count.  What number do you get to before the screen is totally reloaded......  GO!
View Quote

About 2.5 seconds.  I think 1-1.5 of that was loading an ad.

Do you have any decent wireless coverage in your area?  Perhaps a MiFi or similar?

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#5]
about 4sec, but i'm uploading 200+ pics to facebook
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you submit your post an hour ago?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lets play a game.  Click refresh.  Count.  What number do you get to before the screen is totally reloaded......  GO!  6 seconds for me.  SIX.
View Quote

About 2.5 to 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
They can't even get phone service right for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#9]
..85. You have screaming speed. Mine averages POINT 75.  Fucking sucks donkey balls.
Brb gonna do your challenge.

14 seconds. But kids are on line too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear you.  I pay for 1mb DSL.  Funny, I can stream Amazon prime no problem (as long as my wife isn't on facebook) but Youtube?  It's just fucked.

I had 10mb service 15 years ago when I lived in town.

But I'll be honest, I'd go back to no internet before I moved back to town.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I feel your pain OP.  1.5mb down on off-peak hours.  0.5-0.8 during peak times.

Oh and I don't have a lick of cell service so I can't even think of tethering.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
We had that for 2 years. It was hell.  Finally got DISH. while it sucks, it is 1000X better than the Verizon plan. Our phones are Verizon as quite literally no other service will work out here, and they work fine.  Their DSL was slow as hell.  Dish is not great but a massive step up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

My browser is slower than my connection.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Solution: move out of the styx.  Or stay in the styx because you like it for other reasons and quit complaining.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Verizon was charging me $60 a month for 3/1.5. On the best day, 1.0/0.4 was all it would do. They didnt care either. Over the six years I had the service, the price increased $25 and the service got worse.

Switched to cable and haven't missed Verizon at all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For the past few months....no - years actually.....sporadic outages, and horrific speed decreases.  Yeah, I know, first world problems...  But what the fuck does it take to get some real interwebs to semi rural areas?   I am talking like 2-3 miles out of town where there is cable, and even FIOS....Third world countries have better speeds than we do.  Kim Jung Kong probably has 3TB down...There are fiber CO hubs out here, and when they first installed it, my internet was actually not bad.  Now it's almost not even usable.  Youtube - hahahaha - nope.  

Speeds:
Ping - said 49ms, but took over a minute to get that result.  That math didnt add up eh?
Upload - .25mb/s

I have gotten 17 down and 12 up with my ATT 4GLTE phone tethered, but that fucking data cap!!!  How can one win?
View Quote

Have you tried calling ATT/Verizon/etc. and asking about home tethering options?  I thought I heard on Leo Laport's radio show (tech guy) that the wireless carriers offer plans meant for home tethering uses and I'd have to imagine the data caps are probably higher.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't feel bad.

I'm in the middle of fucking nowhere. Nearest town is still on dial up or wireless direct LOS if they are one of the dozen in range.

Verizon-Cell Broadband is the only option. No one else covers this area, and it's weak as hell and overloaded all summer when the tourists are here.
The Hughes Satellite bullshit would require us to either cut down 50 Trees, or invest in some sort of goofy assed tower. Fuck that.

6.35 down .53 Up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Solution: move out of the styx.  Or stay in the styx because you like it for other reasons and quit complaining.  

View Quote

Sadly thats the only option I have.  But I just spent 6 digits remodeling a large farm house....so that won't happen.

Yes, Dish is an option we considered, but data is a big problem.  They cap at 15gb.  I have a 20gb 4G data plan right now, and it gets maxed.  I may bite the bullet and up it to 50.  That's like $350 a month lol.  But I need it as I do a lot of work from home office.  4G and sometimes when the wind blows right LTE is 50000x better than DSL any day.....actually it rivals TWC at my shop which is a consistent 10/3....if they would just ditch the data cap.

Remember when cell phones first came out, you would get x-minutes a month...now all unlimited.  They are doing the same shit with their "usable" internet service, slowly sucking money out of us rabid internet freaks that need it....and poof one day someone is going to have an unlimited data plan after billions are made beating our balls first.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Speeds:
Upload - .25mb/s

View Quote

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/lte-internet-installed/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/4g-lte-router-with-voice#pdpTab
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Point to point wireless will be the future for rural...search Motorola Canopy or Cambium networks...you might have coverage. My parents live in the middle of nowhere and have 2mb down...not great, but.....some point to point is much faster...

http://wireless-isp.info/PA.html

Search around....

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

OP's sailing away, set an open course for the virgin sea

OP's got to be free, free to face the life that's ahead of him

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#22]
The Verizon package looks attractive.  However 30gb still wont be enough.  Lets say I go with the 50gb ATT business share data.  Anyone know if ATT mobile hotspots can be used with a wireless router as a repeater?  The signal on this hotspot sucks ballsacks.  Would be cool to extend it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Complaining about DSL? I wish I could get DSL.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:41:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I got a solution for ya:

1. Cancel your internet service.
2. Send me the money you'd normally spend on internet service, along with a list of web pages you want to browse.
3. I'll mail you a thumb drive with all your web pages saved on it*.

*Some limitations, exceptions and additional fees may apply
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe wireless one day.  Nobody' s stretching fiber out to bumfuck without a gun to their head.  That shit don't pay.
View Quote

Wrong.

Co-Mo Connect announces gigabit pricing, free speed upgrades

Rural electric Co-ops are sitting pretty for this.  They already own all the rights-of-way, have the poles in place, and an established relationship with all the potential customers. My Co-op started installing for the rural customers, but has since expanded to provide internet, phone and TV service to many of the small towns that weren't originally electric service customers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Point to point wireless will be the future for rural...search Motorola Canopy or Cambium networks...you might have coverage. My parents live in the middle of nowhere and have 2mb down...not great, but.....some point to point is much faster...

http://wireless-isp.info/PA.html

Search around....

View Quote

Ubiquity is sooo much better than Cambium
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wrong.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3733163124.png

Rural electric Co-ops are sitting pretty for this.  They already own all the rights-of-way, have the poles in place, and an established relationship with all the potential customers. My Co-op started installing for the rural customers, but has since expanded to provide internet, phone and TV service to many of the small towns that weren't originally electric service customers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Fuck me.  I can't even get DSL.  Seeing this makes me want to cry.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:31:35 AM EDT
[#29]
No internet for the rural folks, yet obama phones and free internet for hood rats  are pushed via TV ads. Shit in some places they give you a free car to go with your free house, free food, free college, free daycare, free cash, free...........
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Under two with wifi  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Under two with wifi  

Same here on my iPad.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:32:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a fiber optic line one mile from me, on the main farm-to-market road. People all along this road have cable, DSL, etc. No one will service my road, so I used a line-of-sight type provider that eventually updated to 4G. I can get about 2Mbps download with my option, and when the whole thing was being test and wide open I could pull 15. It could be worse, I was using 56k until about 2006.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I live in a county of 25k in MS and we are getting fiber by the end of the year, they're running it now. Don't understand the problem.

When I lived in TX the nearest stop sign was about 7 miles away and wal mart was a 45 minute drive. The one day our senator bought the land across the road and the phone company put in a CO right at the end of my drive way and I got DSL
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:41:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I moved from a horse farm in the country to inside teh big city.

Went from almost $200 for 3G(later 4G) mobile data /month to $39.99 60+MBps cable modem
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem was that broadband over powerline bullshit.

Luckily, that has passed (so far as I know).
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I am wondering when centurylink and other providers will start offering more then 4.2 megs DL and . 82 upload,  and better than 82% connectivity.  Even broad band out here is spotty.  Too bad dish net can't supply the signel thru the dish instead of switching carriers and running it thru the outdated DSL/phone cable.

They had our business line out for 3 days with no known reconnection date on top of that the DSL line was out for 2 weeks.... Stuck in a contract until Dec 12th gonna figure out what the next thing is we do because $110.36 aint worth the fucking problems we have had. it goes out more than its on.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#36]
No local wISP in your area?

What surprises me is that it gets a D+ grade on speedtest.   Plenty fast for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:54:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Speeds:
Upload - .25mb/s

View Quote

DSL? We can't even get dial up if we wanted it, because our phone lines don't work and Verizon wouldn't fix them. Sat internet is it here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:57:52 AM EDT
[#39]
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3792954677

Bandwidth and jobs are the only thing keeping me living in the city.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

I hear ya.  I lived here 15 years before they ran the fiber, first using AOL dialup, then eventually Wildblue satellite.  I work in IT, and internet access is pretty much mandatory for me to be able to do my job.  Those years of dialup/satt were enough to make you want to tear your hair out.  For those who think broadband is just a luxury these days, just try and get three kids through college without having decent internet... admissions, financial, etc. are all primarily done over the web now.  Utilities, banks and the like all pressure you hard to switch to paperless billing and electronic payments.

You mentioned in the OP that your area has cable service and FIOS... is there something unique about your specific location that you can't get either one of those?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

A co-op might make it a little further out than a for profit company without a gun to it's head, but last mile will still be a problem.  Someone's gotta pay for install and upkeep.  

You just can't spend $15k to pull a wire out to a little old lady in moose lick holler when you'll never see more than $100/mo from her.  Someone has to pay it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

Quoted:

A co-op might make it a little further out than a for profit company without a gun to it's head, but last mile will still be a problem.  Someone's gotta pay for install and upkeep.  

You just can't spend $15k to pull a wire out to a little old lady in moose lick holler when you'll never see more than $100/mo from her.  Someone has to pay it.

To expound on this, folks don't understand how much it actually costs for infrastructure.  The cost of Internet is so subsidized that if people had any idea how much it costs to get gigabit out to your house they'd shit bricks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#43]
2 Sec.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#44]
If you're getting a decent cellular LTE signal, you might want to look into a mobile hotspot. I know someone who uses a T-mobile mobile hotspot, and combined with unlimited LTE on his phone, he's pretty satisfied.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I had great luck with an AT@T air card coupled with a booster. I dumped it because of the gig limit. I went with a local wireless service and it has been acceptable plus no limits.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#46]
There's a give and take to everything in life.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

word.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#48]

I live in the sticks. This is through SkyBeam, rural line of sight wireless provider. Almost no downtime and consistent speeds. This result was taken WHILE streaming Netflix.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Frontier DSL sucks. It's not too bad today. I just did the test. 2.0 download, .55 upload. That's about double what it usually is. 6 PM on a weekday? Forget it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#50]
OP, are there any WISPs in your area?  I have one that I am unfortunately just outside their signal area.  They tell me they are expanding their service in the next year so until then I pay $80/month for a Verizon hotspot that is limited to 8gb of data.  Sucks but I still won't trade it for the suburbs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top