Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 81
Posted: 9/19/2014 9:06:30 PM EDT
Title edited to reflect what this thread has turned into: a general USPSA discussion open to videos, pictures, questions, and overall complaining/bragging.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't shoot yourself.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm jumping into the USPSA world tomorrow morning bright and early. I've never done any organized shooting events before, so this will be a learning experience. Does GD have any nuggets of wisdom to a new guy?
View Quote

Just don't nervously anticipate everything that can go wrong and ways for you to embarrass yourself.

Don't think about those things at all.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Lord loves a working man.

See a doctor and get rid of it.

Don't trust whitey.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask lots of questions. Go slow. Dont try to match the pros speed. Dont take a trip to dairy queen

The most important think is safety. If u are unsure a out something,ask
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just don't nervously anticipate everything that can go wrong and ways for you to embarrass yourself.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm jumping into the USPSA world tomorrow morning bright and early. I've never done any organized shooting events before, so this will be a learning experience. Does GD have any nuggets of wisdom to a new guy?

I've already accepted the fact that I WILL embarrass myself. I'm not afraid to be bad at something new. Just gives me something to work on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't trust whitey.
View Quote

Wrong thread?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
looking to get into these events too. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wrong thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't trust whitey.

Wrong thread?

Nope
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't trust whitey.

Wrong thread?

Nope

Ok, I need an explanation then.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell them you're new and have them put you at the bottom of the squad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell them you're a newb and look for someone to walk you through the scenarios and explain what they're trying to plan.

Range safety is no shit. You're about to learn the IPSC draw. If you don't already know how to do it, tell them and they'll get someone to show you how to draw so that you don't get DQ'd.

If you get DQ's: oops. Remember what you did wrong and move on.

Almost all of the people are there to have fun. They're generally glad to work with an inexperienced shooter. By inexperienced, I mean inexperienced in their game. You'll find a few people who will be happy to show you how it's done.

Most important: Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]
First time out dont rush, be safe and you'll have a fun day.

If you can make every shot count. You wont end up last.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell them you're a newb and look for someone to walk you through the scenarios and explain what they're trying to plan.

Range safety is no shit. You're about to learn the IPSC draw. If you don't already know how to do it, tell them and they'll get someone to show you how to draw so that you don't get DQ'd.

Almost all of the people are there to have fun. They're generally glad to work with an inexperienced shooter. By inexperienced, I mean inexperienced in their game. You'll find a few people who will be happy to show you how it's done.

View Quote

How is an IPSC draw different than a "regular" draw? Normally I just pull straight up and push out. Is that kosher?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have been doing it for 2 years now. Some things I have learned.

1. Take your time. No need to go full throttle. Be safe. If you get a DQ, don't let it get you down, use it as a learning experience.

2. Make sure you attend the new shooters meeting.

3. Ask questions. When In doubt ask away. There are no stupid questions when you are at a match.

4. Use your Mk 1 eyeball. Watch others.

5. HAVE FUN!

More than likely you will be in a squad that has all types of shooters. Open, Limited, Production, etc. Depending on your class, watch how they break a stage down. Open guys break it different than Production and they do it different that Single Stack.

Most of all, have fun. It's a bug that you will get and you will want more.

I started out in Production, next year I'm trying 8 shot revolver.

Good luck and have a great match.
View Quote

Thanks, I'm starting off in Production as well. I talked to the guy in charge of everything on the phone today and he said that they will follow me around and help me out being a new shooter. He made it sound like they're all more than willing to teach how it's done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How is an IPSC draw different than a "regular" draw? Normally I just pull straight up and push out. Is that kosher?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your muzzle is not allowed to cross any part of an imaginary line line running across your shoulders, at least not when I shot it. To prevent this from happening, you step forward, draw, and step back. It sounds more complicated than it is. In reality, they'll show you how to do it and after a couple of practices, you'll be fine.

The rule exists to prevent the shooter from crossing the crowd with his muzzle when he draws.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't trust whitey.

Wrong thread?

Nope

You asked for advice from GD

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
You'll need at least 5 mags for production.

4 on the belt/carriers.

Holster.

Watch some USPSA vids on youtube to get familiar with commands.

USPSA is an addiction;  I caught the bug in June this year and I have over 10 matches in and have been classified as a "B" in production.

Remember time is the enemy of your hit points.

Each shot in the A zone is 5 points; each cardboard target will typically require 2 hits (10 points total).  If you miss a target with one shot it's minus 10 points.  If you forget to shoot at a target it's minus 10 points.

When the points are totaled after a stage, the score is divided by time; that gives you the "Hit Factor"

Hit factor is what is important in the game.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

4 on the belt/carriers.

Holster.

View Quote

I have 4--1 in the gun and 3 on my belt. The website said that I would just need 4.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
You are not going to win.

You are going to go too fast at first.

Take a breath, slow down and have fun.

You first event is for fun and to get exposure to the sport.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ohBUYQJflU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't trust whitey.

Wrong thread?

Nope

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ohBUYQJflU

Oops, totally missed that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have fun.
View Quote

I'm expecting to have the fastest time and most misses.

Not really, but I do have a habit of shooting faster than I should and not focusing on my front sight. I'm hoping that will come with experience.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not really, but I do have a habit of shooting faster than I should and not focusing on my front sight. I'm hoping that will come with experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun.

You're about to get a reality check if you think you're going to be fast as a new shooter at a USPSA event.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're about to get a reality check if you think you're going to be fast as a new shooter at a USPSA event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun.

That was a joke.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have 4--1 in the gun and 3 on my belt. The website said that I would just need 4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 on the belt/carriers.

Holster.

4 will get you by in production for the first time.

5 total is good for most occasions.

6 is great (this leaves an extra for big round count stages or in the event you have a malf or drop a mag)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you join Brian Enos yet?

Becarefull they dont have a sense of humor. It's all zen
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Front sight, front sight, front sight....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never heard of him, so I guess not.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Just remember, you can't miss fast enough to win.  Slow is good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Your muzzle is not allowed to cross any part of an imaginary line line running across your shoulders, at least not when I shot it. To prevent this from happening, you step forward, draw, and step back. It sounds more complicated than it is. In reality, they'll show you how to do it and after a couple of practices, you'll be fine.

The rule exists to prevent the shooter from crossing the crowd with his muzzle when he draws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea about the draw you are talking about.

We just draw and fire.  The faster the better.  

Not breaking the 180 rule goes without saying.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll second the advice about going last.  Your first match or two, just try to take it all in.  Go slow, watch the experienced guys and ask questions if you think you have an issue.  You'll be up to speed in no time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#37]
First things first, THINK SAFETY!  From there, take your time to walk through the courses and then watch how others shoot a course.  Once its your turn, take your time and focus on accuracy vs. speed.  For new USPSA shooters, no matter pistol skill level, I always stress the importance of focusing on accuracy and taking your time to go through the course.  Once you go through a few matches, you will then know what you need to work on, and speed is the last thing you will need to work on.

If you cant shoot double alphas on pretty much the entire course, therse no reason to try to increase your speed.  Theres nothing worse then watching a guy go real fast and shooting Charlies and Mikes for the entire course.  

If the goal of competitive pistol shooting is improving your gun handling, then take the time to focus on accuracy and follow-up with speed.  Oh and dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.  Get a shot timer with a "par timer" and practice your draws, transitions, reloads, etc.  There are a ton of books on refining your practical pistol skills.  All of these resources can be found at brianenos.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Have fun!
View Quote

I've always hated this trite, often-parroted remark.

Fast is fast, slow is slow, smooth is smooth.

Fuck slow, you need to be accurate and fast.  Smoothness is a byproduct of competence through practice.

*OP* disregard this mini-rant, as it is not intended for you.  Just be safe and have fun your first time out.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I've already accepted the fact that I WILL embarrass myself. I'm not afraid to be bad at something new. Just gives me something to work on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell the ROs in the squad that it's your first time.  Ask for help/advice when you need it.

USPSA people are nice and helpful.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
First things first, THINK SAFETY!  From there, take your time to walk through the courses and then watch how others shoot a course.  Once its your turn, take your time and focus on accuracy vs. speed.  For new USPSA shooters, no matter pistol skill level, I always stress the importance of focusing on accuracy and taking your time to go through the course.  Once you go through a few matches, you will then know what you need to work on, and speed is the last thing you will need to work on.

If you cant shoot double alphas on pretty much the entire course, therse no reason to try to increase your speed.  Theres nothing worse then watching a guy go real fast and shooting Charlies and Mikes for the entire course.  

If the goal of competitive pistol shooting is improving your gun handling, then take the time to focus on accuracy and follow-up with speed.  Oh and dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.  Get a shot timer with a "par timer" and practice your draws, transitions, reloads, etc.  There are a ton of books on refining your practical pistol skills.  All of these resources can be found at brianenos.com
View Quote

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tell the ROs in the squad that it's your first time.  Ask for help/advice when you need it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I definitely will, and I'm sure they will be watching me like a hawk with it being my first time out regardless.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
looking to get into these events too. Good luck!
View Quote

THeres no better time then the present.  All you need is a holster, mag holders, pistol chambered in 9mm or larger, 4 mags, and ears/eyes.  From there, just show up with 250 rds, and do your best.  You will find the majority of all shooters are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.  Whenver I see a new guy, I remember how it was when I was new, and do my best to offere any help I can.  

So get out there and have some fun.  But I will warn you, its an extremely addictive hobby.  After shooting a Glock for the season, I just recently bought a $4k limited pistol and another $1k of magazines.  I spend about $4k on ammo a year (all reloads) and spend a decent amount in travelling around.  All to shoot paper and steel.    But its damn fun.  

And I will say this, with a Glock 35, I was damn competitive, so don't think you need a high dollar pistol to win.  I have many top 5 finishes in limited class running a modified G35.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Tell the Match Director and Range Safety Officer that you are new a shooter.

Ask if you can be teamed with an experienced shooter in the same class.

Have your partner shoot first, and watch your parnter does while shooting each stage.

Assuming they don't DQ or STP in some other way, do what they do at half their speed.

Buy your partner lunch.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WAT
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#46]

No one like a noob who shoots fast and misses trying to hang.  

Everyone likes a noob who shoots slow, safe, and makes hits.  

Seriously, go slow and gain respect.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.brianenos.com

It is THE FORUM for all things practical pistol.  You need to join it, read it, embrace it, and try to absorb as much knowledge as possible.  Its truly an amazing reference for practical shooters.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
WAT

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WAT

yeahhhhh....... I'm gonna need you to ignore all that stuff.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't puss out. Be safe. Have fun. ETA:
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Once you do get going into USPSA; staying slow will get you to the bottom of the pack very fast.

At some point you have to roll the dice and push yourself.  Buy time every chance you get.  Basically you have to decide what can be a charlie hit if you can achieve it fast enough.

Before a match get a good nights rest.  

Above all relax.

You will grow as a competitor and go through highs and lows.

Just remember to always learn or have a goal.  

My recent goals were to become more consistent. However I seemed to have slowed down a bit (not good).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top