Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2014 10:19:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Shakespeare references should be encouraged and well received, for the betterment of all.  

But perhaps that is a bit Panglossian.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh, I'll believe Jews are truly outraged by antisemitic Democrats when they stop voting Democrat.  Until then, I'm not very sympathetic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, I'll believe Jews are truly outraged by antisemitic Democrats when they stop voting Democrat.  Until then, I'm not very sympathetic.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Please Lord, get this administration done with.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shakespeare references should be encouraged and well received, for the betterment of all.  

View Quote

Indeed.

Double word score for the use of the word Panglossian.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
FJB...

...& FBHO ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#8]
FJB

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not recall the Anti-Defamation League National crying foul when the same left wing loons label the right as Nazi's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ayup. It's a good play too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm outraged and have never voted D.   Just had a conversation today with my wife about a friend of hers who is Jewish. She's a Democrat. I asked my wife how could she be when they are against Israel. She didn't know so I'll ask the woman myself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  Put their money and their votes where their mouths are.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
At first I thought the title was bidet again.

Which is kind of related.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#16]
"Shylock" seems a more accurate description of payday lenders than it does persons of Jewish descent.

YMMV I guess
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Muh ducats.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Oy vey, vat ah putz...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm outraged and have never voted D.   Just had a conversation today with my wife about a friend of hers who is Jewish. She's a Democrat. I asked my wife how could she be when they are against Israel. She didn't know so I'll ask the woman myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.truetorahjews.org/our_mission

https://www.facebook.com/Zionocracy

http://www.nkusa.org/AboutUs/Zionism/opposition.cfm

http://www.juancole.com/2013/10/american-binyamin-netanyahu.html

http://ijsn.net/

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/jews-against-israel/
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She won't have an answer, at least one that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#22]
From a literature aspect, the use is appropriate. Shylock demanded his pound of flesh as repayment for a defaulted loan. Payday lenders are nothing more than legalized loan sharks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Indeed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed.

I assumed there'd be a Voltaire fan mixed in somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Those guys get to do whatever they want and so will the next one, whoever she is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Dr. Thomas Sowell had a very interesting article about payday lenders.

If low income people don't want to use high interest credit, then they should not use high interest credit.

It really is that simple.

Typical liberal asshole crusader in action, trying to point fingers of blame at everyone else for society's ills, when in fact, THEY are the biggest cause of social ills in this country.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#26]

On Tuesday, the vice president offered up a series of candid insights in the wide-ranging speech, at one point saying he was proud of his children but joking that he wished one of them were a Republican eager to make money “so that when they put me in a home, there'll be a window with a view.”
View Quote

HAH!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Seems like a pretty accurate description to me.

Not sure the Jew angle applies.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I've seen those payday places drag unsuspecting people right off the street at gunpoint and force them to sign for a loan.

I'd charge high interest rates too if my typical customer was a loser who couldn't control his budget and spending and who had a high rate of default.

These places exist because no one else is stupid enough to loan money to them at anything close to a normal interest rate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Is it commonly known that Shylock is supposed to be offensive? Because I didn't know that. I'm going to have to start using it more now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#30]
This doesn't surprise me.

And I suspect people will forget about it....  same way everyone forgot when Michelle Obama used racial slurs towards the Romani people.
http://conservativetribune.com/michelle-obama-slur/
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Democrats are racist.  

It never ceases to amaze me that people still deny that fact.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#32]
meh, payday lenders are scum.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#33]
What does Biden call a Gov't that borrows money from you and then  gives it to someone else?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#34]
NY Times reporter had never heard of the term "shylock" before yesterday:

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#35]
How is that anti-semetic? Shylock, whether he was Jewish or not, was a very nasty, dishonest money lender.  The term fits if you think that payday lenders are dishonest and predatory.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How is that anti-semetic? Shylock, whether he was Jewish or not, was a very nasty, dishonest money lender.  The term fits.
View Quote

Shylock is a derisive term for Jews, based on the Shakespeare character, who have a stereotype of being money-grubbing.

Jews got into the money-lending and banking business in the dark ages because it was deemed somehow corrupt or immoral for Christians to engage in it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Shylock is a derisive term for Jews, based on the Shakespeare character, who have a stereotype of being money-grubbing.

Jews got into the money-lending and banking business in the dark ages because it was deemed somehow corrupt or immoral for Christians to engage in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is that anti-semetic? Shylock, whether he was Jewish or not, was a very nasty, dishonest money lender.  The term fits.

I didn't know it was used as a general derogatory term.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#38]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shylock

Lots of complexity with the name

English society in the Elizabethan era has been described as antisemitic.[10] English Jews had been expelled in 1290 and were not permitted to return until the rule of Oliver Cromwell. Jews were often presented on the Elizabethan stage in hideous caricature, with hooked noses and bright red wigs, and were usually depicted as avaricious usurers; an example is Christopher Marlowe's play The Jew of Malta, which features a comically wicked Jewish villain called Barabas. They were usually characterized as evil, deceptive, and greedy.

The Nazis used Shylock for their propaganda. Shortly after Kristallnacht in 1938, The Merchant of Venice was broadcast for propagandistic ends over the German airwaves. Productions of the play followed in Lübeck (1938), Berlin (1940), and elsewhere within Nazi-occupied territory

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What does Biden call a Gov't that borrows money from you and then  gives it to someone else?
View Quote

"Fair"

Just spreading that wealth around, yo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]
If he wasn't a politician he would be living under a bridge and starving.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#41]
For those that don't read Shakespeare and didn't know this was a derogatory term:

A more recent example, showcasing the anti-Semitic sentiment would be the dinner table scene from American History X when Edward Norton's character refers to Elliott Gould's character as a "Shylock" because he is Jewish.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You spelled "takes" wrong.Or "steals".
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#43]
"Ancient Chinese secret huh?"

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#44]
OMG, another huge boner from Biden

Vice President Joe Biden stumbled again Friday.

Speaking at a Democratic event devoted to women’s issues, Mr. Biden made a favorable reference to former Sen. Bob Packwood, an Oregon Republican who resigned in 1995 amid accusations that he had sexually harassed women over a period of decades.

Mr. Biden mentioned Mr. Packwood — and also the late Maryland Republican Sen. Mac Mathias – as examples of GOP lawmakers willing to work across the aisle and support progressive legislation.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#45]
And it's OK for his son to be an executive in a Ukrainian Gas firm?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"Ancient Chinese secret huh?"
View Quote

Orient.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#48]
And this guy was the "icing on the cake" for the ticket...
Someone else said it before on here but I thought it from day one, anyone that supported this team is to be shunned in Every way possible. And by that I mean with extreme prejudice, Fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#49]
If it's a day that ends with "y", then Biden said something stupid.

Now he has had to apologize to 2 heads of state (Turkey and the UAE) after he stated that they fund and support ISIS.

It was the second time in two days that Biden had to call a key partner in President Barack Obama’s coalition to walk back comments he made on Thursday, when he said that U.S. allies — including Turkey, Saudi Arabia and the UAE — had funded and armed extremist groups linked to Al Qaeda.

Earlier Sunday, an exasperated UAE requested "a formal clarification” from Biden on comments that America’s allies in the Middle East sent weapons and cash to extremists fighting in Syria.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Nevermind
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top