[#1]
Do we get to vote against him?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i hear John Brown has been nominated to the NRA board of directors.  

Who is John brown?

He is a board member of the NFATCA (national firearms act trade and collectors association) that was the ATF's impetus behind 41P (trust changes for NFA)

So.... Im going to go on record and say no to this.
View Quote

I'll take your opinion as being good enough.  I've never heard of him.

And there's this guy.  We all need to support him.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1617923_Knight_for_NRA_Board________Nomination_help_needed.html&light=NRA
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't want John Brown . Trust me on this .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed.  His organization is the reason we have the new ATF trust fuster cluck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't want John Brown . Trust me on this .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Agreed.  His organization is the reason we have the new ATF trust fuster cluck.

Can you explain that?  I understand the trust cluster fuck.  Just unclear how an organization can make/propose changes to ATF policy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
NFATCA: hall monitors for the ATF.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We can vote for others.  Tim Knight is trying ti get on via petition.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1661951_NRA_Members_I_need_your_help.html

Tim is sending me a petition.  If you're in jackson this week, you can sign it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do we get to vote against him?

Thanks.

We can vote for others.  Tim Knight is trying ti get on via petition.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1661951_NRA_Members_I_need_your_help.html

Tim is sending me a petition.  If you're in jackson this week, you can sign it.

You going to be around on Thursday?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:22:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Fifth columnists sicken me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Tim Knight has my vote.  Man wants to get out and work for it and represents what I do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone told Brown to go fuck himself, yet?

'Cause I'm willing to, if it needs done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Tim Knight has my vote a well.

I'll be returning my signed petition to him Monday.

Saint Peter
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who is John brown?

He is a board member of the NFATCA (national firearms act trade and collectors association) that was the ATF's impetus behind 41P (trust changes for NFA)

View Quote

Their endless articles explaining how it wasn't really their fault? You didn't trust them?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Just seeing this and it's a damned good thing.  Jesus fucking Christ, what the HELL is wrong with these people?!?

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Oh fuck that guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:37:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tim Knight has my vote.  Man wants to get out and work for it and represents what I do.
View Quote

Agreed! I am wondering if the election will come down to an Arfcom vs. NFATCA voting base.  If that's the case, I think (or at least hope) we have the numbers on our side.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed! I am wondering if the election will come down to an Arfcom vs. NFATCA voting base.  If that's the case, I think (or at least hope) we have the numbers on our side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to ensure the word is out EVERYWHERE.....with his last name being "Brown" I am afraid some ill informed voters might confuse him for Col. RK Brown....   We cannot consider this nomination a fart in the wind,  we must actively campaign to ensure he is not elected.

Spread the word on every gun board you use.    
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who is John brown?

View Quote

Who nominated me to the NRA board of directors?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has anyone told Brown to go fuck himself, yet?

'Cause I'm willing to, if it needs done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need to get more of the gun loving NRA freeloaders on this site to become life members....
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Does his baby have a cold upon his chest?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Nolo: I believe what you are saying, but it would be very helpful if you had a link to something that demonstrates the role they played that I could link on other forums to spread the word.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Need to get more of the gun loving NRA freeloaders on this site to become life members....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but then they bitch about all that mail they will get.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big is the NFATCA?  Never heard of them before.  Not much info on their site.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How big is the NFATCA?  Never heard of them before.  Not much info on their site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per their sight they have like 1000 members.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Fuck the NFATCA!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Does everyone hate Brown/NFATCA due to 41P, or is there something else?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#31]
for their FB

Many folks are asking how we got to this point. Why did the NFATCA have to go an stir up the hornet's nest? ATF was absolutely aware of the dramatic increase in folks using trusts and corps for a variety of reasons.

The NFATCA was aware that the Trust thing was going to blow up on the NFA community and we let people know why. We tried to negotiate but there were a lot of people on the Internet publicly explaining how to open an NFA Trust and “Wink Wink” there were no background checks and you could put all your friends in the trust and they could all get access to the guns. No one could ever know who was in the trust “Wink Wink.” We all saw the posts, anyone who knew how the world works, cringed. Once again the braggarts posting their questionable behavior had screwed the NFA Community.

The NFA opined that the massive increase in NFA transfers to trusts was due to the antiquated CLEO provision and it being a pain to get a signature at best, and de facto gun control in many areas, at worst. Our suggestion was remove CLEO and it would remove the motivation of a large portion of the Trust applicants’ need to use a trust and put them through simple ownership process and transfer using a modern method.

ATF was going to hammer the Trusts, etc. anyway with elimination or 100% background checks, the fact is we were good on this until many prohibited folks were abusing it so that they could get access to NFA firearms in a trust and trumpeting it all over the place. They made their abuse of the system not just an insider thing for them, but told every LE and ATF person in the country what they were doing. It comes as no surprise that the government monitors the Internet. It came as no surprise that ATF wanted to shut it down.

If we had stood aside and done nothing, we would have been pilloried for doing nothing and trusts/corps would be gone. And that would have been the result of folks who absolutely abused the benefits and bragged about it.

Until Hughes is gone and the NFA is eliminated, we will still have a regulatory regime that we will have to deal with. Our goal, with and without financial support, is to minimize the intrusiveness of that regulation. We actually had ATF/DOJ on board until the White House pulled the plug and proposed to make things even worse. We will continue to fight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#32]
and more

From NFATCA President, John Brown:

The NFATCA began a long, arduous journey almost nine years ago. For those of you who can remember, that was when the Bush administration and ATF were working very closely with anyone in the firearms industry. We made good progress, though the wheels of government churned ever so slowly - but it was progress. Two things happened that neither the NFATCA nor I will be held accountable for. First and foremost, the majority of this country voted for Barack Obama. Second, a couple of felons figured "Wow, no background check, I am buying my NFA stuff through a trust".

Now if you want to hold the NFATCA accountable for that, then you obviously must have been a part of that majority. When faced with the second issue and the fact that ATF was contemplating no longer honoring trust transfers because of the abuse, no one at the NFATCA came up with the alternatives. We don't make government policy and we don't write legislation coming out of this administration. I can't say this any clearer. This change in policy came directly from the Executive Branch.

We simply stand up in front for your rights. I didn't joint this fight for fun, nor did I start the NFATCA for myself. Every issue, every battle, has been crafted around the fact that my five sons should have the same opportunities that I have had. I did because I believe that every American should have those same rights, regardless of what the current government says. With every uphill fight, I get hundreds of grandstanders that call me personally, block their caller ID and tell me I should be shot. I have people telling me they are dropping their membership, only to find out they never have been a member. I have people questioning my commitment or motives. Let me assure you that having been a licensed dealer for over thirty years, this effects my livelihood - not just my collection of firearms.

We will continue to battle this issue and the White House. We know that many inside ATF do not and have not agreed with this change in stance. NFATCA counsel is prepared to fight, but unlike myself, he does not work free of charge for the NFATCA. Simply stated, if you choose not to support the NFATCA, then you weaken our chances of winning the battle. If you choose not to support the cause, don't complain about the outcome. Contribute your funds or your time and voice. A few have said they have a stronger voice in the NFA community than the NFATCA. I challenge you to put your words into actions and join us to make a difference rather than work against us
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
for their FB

..... the fact is we were good on this until many prohibited folks were abusing it so that they could get access to NFA firearms in a trust and trumpeting it all over the place. They made their abuse of the system not just an insider thing for them, but told every LE and ATF person in the country what they were doing. It comes as no surprise that the government monitors the Internet. It came as no surprise that ATF wanted to shut it down.

View Quote

Not buying it,  thats an ATF agents wet dream....prohibited possessor in possession of NFA?  They get to prosecute AND seize an NFA item,  quite possibly an xferable FA that will be forever removed from circulation?   Bump up arrest numbers and use them to lobby for bigger budgets?

Umm...yea...not buying it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh you mean that magazine I get every month. 2AF is a way bigger problem in regards to mail.

Can you imagine what power the NRA would have if they had 2x, 5x even 10x the membership? People better start pulling this cart instead of riding in it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not buying it,  thats an ATF agents wet dream....prohibited possessor in possession of NFA?  They get to prosecute AND seize an NFA item,  quite possibly an xferable FA that will be forever removed from circulation?   Bump up arrest numbers and use them to lobby for bigger budgets?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
for their FB
..... the fact is we were good on this until many prohibited folks were abusing it so that they could get access to NFA firearms in a trust and trumpeting it all over the place. They made their abuse of the system not just an insider thing for them, but told every LE and ATF person in the country what they were doing. It comes as no surprise that the government monitors the Internet. It came as no surprise that ATF wanted to shut it down.

Agreed.  Once again more restrictions for the majority who do not commit crimes rather than prosecute the criminals.  That's the argument for all gun control laws.

Why not nominate Nolo?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#37]

That is pretty damning....So if Brown gets elected to the NRA Board, the ATF has an inside man.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That is pretty damning....So if Brown gets elected to the NRA Board, the ATF has an inside man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

“Docket entry ATF-2013-0001-0437 [view] is a public comment submitted by John Brown, apparently the very same John Brown who, as President of National Firearms Act Traders and Collectors Association (‘NFATCA’), submitted the petition to initiate a rulemaking on which ATF purports to base this proceeding,” FICG relates. “Repeated efforts to ascertain from Mr. Brown the details of the incidents as to which he asserts he has knowledge met refusals as he disavowed direct, personal knowledge stating only that as a result of ‘working inside ATF for over 10 years’ he knew things he ‘should never know.’"

“[I]t would thus appear that ATF is itself the source of this information,” FICG infers. “The planting of comments that merely repeat to ATF the very information ATF purports to have but refused to submit to public critique exacerbates the problem of ATF's refusal to provide underlying information.

“Mr. Brown's connection to ATF extends beyond his acknowledgment that the information to which he alluded in his comment came from ATF itself,” FICG continues. “Indeed, as Richard Vasquez -- ATF's Chief of the Firearms Training Branch and previous Assistant and Acting Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch -- testified under oath only last year, Mr. Brown ‘interacted with ATF a lot,’ was a friend since at least 2006, had personally transferred two firearms to him, had transferred firearms to other ATF employees, visited ATF ‘to meet and become personal with a lot of the offices’ over a period of years, and provided him with information to pass along to ATF for ATF's use in a forfeiture proceeding.

“Mr. Brown apparently went so far as to forward e-mails he had received from a FFL involved in litigation with ATF to ATF for ATF's use in the litigation against the FFL,” the FICG narrative continues. “Indeed, Mr. Brown was not surprised to be characterized as a ‘confidential source’ for Acting Chief Vasquez and ATF.

“Despite having acquired three machineguns illegally manufactured by George D. Clark, Mr. Brown seems to be the only FFL in that situation that ATF never referred for prosecution,” FICG asserts. “In fact, ATF knowingly left Mr. Brown in possession of that contraband for six weeks and then promptly destroyed that evidence before the completion of prosecutions of other individuals in possession of Mr. Clark's machineguns.

“In addition, during this same time period Mr. Brown, together with the attorney he reportedly hired to prepare the NFATCA petition upon which ATF now relies, hired two 30-year veterans of ATF who simultaneously worked together with ATF to draft the National Firearms Act Handbook.

“ATF seeks to simultaneously prevent any investigation into the incidents to which it makes vague reference in the NPR while ‘planting’ comments in its own docket to give further credence to the incidents,” FICG observes. “The most benign characterization of the relationship between ATF and Mr. Brown (if not his other associates and NFATCA more broadly) would seem to be that ATF established an unauthorized "advisory committee" in violation of the Federal Advisory Committee Act … With respect to discussions relating to the proposal at issue here, either ATF is withholding records of consultations with Mr. Brown and NFATCA in violation of FOIA or ATF failed to create such records in violation of FACA.

“ATF has made a mockery of this proceeding, engaging in numerous tactics designed to deny meaningful public participation,” FICG concludes. “As a result ATF cannot promulgate any final rule that hopes to survive judicial review without starting fresh. In doing so, ATF should consult with a broad cross-section of interests familiar with the laws governing trusts, estates, and business entities rather than a select few.”
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Brown is the textbook example of a quisling.

I would not trust him in any position of responsibility where firearms are involved, as he will only do what suits his and his "friends" interests, and damn everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the influence they have with the ATF is unmatched.   When people talk about the "rich MG owners with huge collections ruining things".....this is their lobby...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Docket entry ATF-2013-0001-0437 [view] is a public comment submitted by John Brown, apparently the very same John Brown who, as President of National Firearms Act Traders and Collectors Association (‘NFATCA’), submitted the petition to initiate a rulemaking on which ATF purports to base this proceeding,” FICG relates. “Repeated efforts to ascertain from Mr. Brown the details of the incidents as to which he asserts he has knowledge met refusals as he disavowed direct, personal knowledge stating only that as a result of ‘working inside ATF for over 10 years’ he knew things he ‘should never know.’"

“[I]t would thus appear that ATF is itself the source of this information,” FICG infers. “The planting of comments that merely repeat to ATF the very information ATF purports to have but refused to submit to public critique exacerbates the problem of ATF's refusal to provide underlying information.

“Mr. Brown's connection to ATF extends beyond his acknowledgment that the information to which he alluded in his comment came from ATF itself,” FICG continues. “Indeed, as Richard Vasquez -- ATF's Chief of the Firearms Training Branch and previous Assistant and Acting Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch -- testified under oath only last year, Mr. Brown ‘interacted with ATF a lot,’ was a friend since at least 2006, had personally transferred two firearms to him, had transferred firearms to other ATF employees, visited ATF ‘to meet and become personal with a lot of the offices’ over a period of years, and provided him with information to pass along to ATF for ATF's use in a forfeiture proceeding.

“Mr. Brown apparently went so far as to forward e-mails he had received from a FFL involved in litigation with ATF to ATF for ATF's use in the litigation against the FFL,” the FICG narrative continues. “Indeed, Mr. Brown was not surprised to be characterized as a ‘confidential source’ for Acting Chief Vasquez and ATF.

“Despite having acquired three machineguns illegally manufactured by George D. Clark, Mr. Brown seems to be the only FFL in that situation that ATF never referred for prosecution,” FICG asserts. “In fact, ATF knowingly left Mr. Brown in possession of that contraband for six weeks and then promptly destroyed that evidence before the completion of prosecutions of other individuals in possession of Mr. Clark's machineguns.

“In addition, during this same time period Mr. Brown, together with the attorney he reportedly hired to prepare the NFATCA petition upon which ATF now relies, hired two 30-year veterans of ATF who simultaneously worked together with ATF to draft the National Firearms Act Handbook.

“ATF seeks to simultaneously prevent any investigation into the incidents to which it makes vague reference in the NPR while ‘planting’ comments in its own docket to give further credence to the incidents,” FICG observes. “The most benign characterization of the relationship between ATF and Mr. Brown (if not his other associates and NFATCA more broadly) would seem to be that ATF established an unauthorized "advisory committee" in violation of the Federal Advisory Committee Act … With respect to discussions relating to the proposal at issue here, either ATF is withholding records of consultations with Mr. Brown and NFATCA in violation of FOIA or ATF failed to create such records in violation of FACA.

“ATF has made a mockery of this proceeding, engaging in numerous tactics designed to deny meaningful public participation,” FICG concludes. “As a result ATF cannot promulgate any final rule that hopes to survive judicial review without starting fresh. In doing so, ATF should consult with a broad cross-section of interests familiar with the laws governing trusts, estates, and business entities rather than a select few.”

The scary part is that is the only stuff provable and well known.....

This is not that far off from Whitey Bulger and his buddies in the FBI as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Who or how did he get nominated to NRA BoD?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#43]
The fact that the NRA would even consider such a turncoat tells me all I need to know.

Thr NRA has made zero effort to repeal Hughes, won't be surprised if this guy makes it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Once again more restrictions for the majority who do not commit crimes rather than prosecute the criminals.  That's the argument for all gun control laws.

Why not nominate Nolo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
for their FB

Why not nominate Nolo?

The NRA would like to add more lawyers to the board. I'm not taking anything away from anyone else that is not a lawyer but that's what they are currently looking for.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#45]
The Best Way To Control The Opposition Is To Lead It   -Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin"
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The fact that the NRA would even consider such a turncoat tells me all I need to know.

Thr NRA has made zero effort to repeal Hughes, won't be surprised if this guy makes it.
View Quote

While HUGE strides have been made withen the NRA with regards to 'black rifles' over the last few years,  they are still being educated on NFA and it's WORKING!

While we malign the NRA for nominating JB,  how many here that own NFA actually knew about JB's past shenanigans?  it's not going to be that many in the whole scheme of things.  So lets not throw NRA under the bus on this,  lets EDUCATE them by torpedoing this guys nomination early so we can crush him at the 'polls'
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#47]
There are 29 nominations for 25 open slots....we NEED to put the pressure on the NRA leadership NOW so they can perhaps pressure him to withdraw his nomination.

I suggest sending emails and writing letters to Wayne LaPierre and Jim Porter....to start.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#48]
The NRA was aware of the Clarke case. I can't see how they would be unaware of Brown's association and involvement with that case.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The NRA was aware of the Clarke case. I can't see how they would be unaware of Brown's association and involvement with that case.
View Quote

Trust me...not all are as savvy on the issue as we would like.  And it does not take the whole NRA board or membership to nominate someone...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Trust me...not all are as savvy on the issue as we would like.  And it does not take the whole NRA board or membership to nominate someone...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does not instill much confidence, in that case.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top