Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/13/2014 3:44:16 PM EDT
Researchers on killings by otherwise law-abiding people - whether soldiers, police or civilians - have found the aftershocks can include conflicting emotions: elation at surviving, and guilt at having to violate an ingrained aversion against killing another human.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/experts_the_psychological_afte.html

Don't think I would have a problem nut I would seek help!

I do know it is an old article..
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what the pschological aftermath of being dead is.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI.

I am afraid you will begin to see even more "research" which is anti gun and mixed with psychology .
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
GD tough guys arrived yet?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am afraid you will begin to see even more "research" which is anti gun and mixed with psychology .
View Quote

Yup. Can't have a gun for self defense, because self defense could hurt you psychologically. It's for your own good and all that stuff
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
They are correct.

However, being stabbed, shot or crippled or raped can also have profound psychological effects as well.

I'll deal with the burden of having killed someone bent on doing me harm any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, checking in......I'll cut the fuckers hart out & eat it afterwards
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ayoob gives the best post shooting lecture...hands down.

All the possible effects are explained in detail.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet but the smug superiority crowd seems well represented.

To the OP: I honestly don't know how I'd react.  Hope I never find out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you shot people in self defense?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
A decent person can have a hard time dealing with the fact hat he had to take another life? You don't fucking say?!  As others have said, and should be obvious, it sure beats the alternative.  That's the funny thing about being in that situation...there's only two choices.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FPNI.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI.  

Umm. Pro-gun people have been saying this shit for a LONG time.  

Read the book On Killing by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman.
He spent a day with my brothers DPS Academy class talking about how hard it is to take someone's life, and how bad it would fuck them up afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are correct.

However, being stabbed, shot or crippled or raped can also have profound psychological effects as well.

I'll deal with the burden of having killed someone bent on doing me harm any day of the week.
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]
So, if you do ever have to shoot someone, you'll go crazy and they'll have to take your guns away

Sounds like anti gun propaganda to me
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
If I was forced to kill someone, I think it would be difficult for me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#16]
voted no. If I didn't look at the gore, I think I'd be alright.

I hope I never have to find out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would be more concerned about the psychological condition of someone that was not affected by it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Present

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#19]
You have to do what you have to do. If you can avoid a situation killing someone, it's better. If you are faced with a grave threat where someone is intent on mortally hurting you, you have no choice. You end up a dead in a wartime situation or the victim of a crime if you hesitate. If you ask someone the choice between worrying or being dead the answer will be obvious.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would be more concerned about the psychological condition of someone that was not affected by it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is chilling.  Did you ever hear the audio from the clean kill shot guy that executed the burglars in his house? I know, fuck thieves, but damn. That dude was cold. Makes you wonder what his background was.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
No problem.  It's easy to kill people that need killing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#23]
How you are set up to deal with it matters most.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#24]
It must not be that important since our ingrained reflex to fight and survive overrides it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#25]
If I killed an innocent person then yes I would feel guilty.  If someone decides to attempt to kill me and I win the confrontation then no, I would not feel guilty.  The dead guy made the decision, not me, so the burden/guilt is on them.  Just the way I see it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Feeling bad about killing someone that was trying to kill you is a modern invention.

Feeling bad about killing when it could have been avoided or killing an innocent would absolutely be normal.

Quoted:

He spent a day with my brothers DPS Academy class talking about how hard it is to take someone's life, and how bad it would fuck them up afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI.  

Grossman was antigun in the past and he's also for censorship in media.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ayoob gives the best post shooting lecture...hands down.

All the possible effects are explained in detail.
View Quote

Agreed. The self defense legal class he gives is excellent. So.much information. I came away with 40 typed pages of notes from the class.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It must not be that important since our ingrained reflex to fight and survive overrides it.
View Quote

There is an ingrained reflex to not kill other humans.    
They have found muskets loaded to the muzzle from soldiers In the civil war that could not bring themselves to shoot someone else.

That's why there is always a guy with a blank in a firing squad.    That way everyone can tell themselves they had the blank, or they pulled the dummy switch during any other execution.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe they shouldn't coddle criminals, then people wouldn't be put in the position of shooting them.

Fwiw, I would not want to have to kill anyone either and go out of my way to avoid trouble. But then you see things like the Memphis mob riots (oh, you mean you haven't heard?) and what's a person suppossed to do.

Good on anyone who kills somebody before they have a chance to harm me.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I might have problems with all the legal trauma afterwards, but I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep over defending my own life.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

more people are victims than fighters
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No problem.  It's easy to kill people that need killing.
View Quote

Everyone I know who's done it says the same.

If you believed you had to, or they needed/deserved it, you don't have an issue. (might still be tough for someone lacking the proper mindset or constitution).

I believe if you were forced to kill what amounts to an innocent person (human shield or similar) it could really mess with you. It would me, no matter how many times I told myself that I didn't have any other option.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd be too grateful to have survived the encounter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope, wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

If I was put in a situation where the outcome had to be me defending me or my family then I would have no problem with it.  I would honestly probably feel worse for the persons family then the person themselves.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

exactly,  this is why quality training is important,  know what the signs are so you can recognize them early on and realise that they are likely very short term..       LE and MIL have a built in 'support network' that will hopefully avert these things before they get started.   But everyone is wired different...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They have found muskets loaded to the muzzle from soldiers In the civil war that could not bring themselves to shoot someone else.

That's why there is always a guy with a blank in a firing squad.    That way everyone can tell themselves they had the blank, or they pulled the dummy switch during any other execution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying it didn't happen. But I'm sure some were from guys forgetting to prime them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If I killed an innocent person then yes I would feel guilty.  If someone decides to attempt to kill me and I win the confrontation then no, I would not feel guilty.  The dead guy made the decision, not me, so the burden/guilt is on them.  Just the way I see it.
View Quote

how does this explain combat troops? these guys are not having nightmares about the pussy they missed out on stateside.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the blank thing is urban legend. Anyone who's fired a rifle knows the difference between a blank and live round.

For humans to have an ingrained reflex not to kill, we sure do one hell of a lot of it, all throughout history.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

What emotion would win out?

-Oh I took a life.
-Oh I will still be in my child/children's lives.

Ask any combat vet--it's a lot easier to kill in a me or them situation.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not saying it didn't happen. But I'm sure some were from guys forgetting to prime them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they loaded 10 more times?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  More likely failing at their manual of arms under stress and in the era of black powder with noise smoke and confusion probably didn't realize they didn't fire.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I had to shoot my dog, and I cried like a baby.  I loved that animal, but I know I did the right thing, and made my peace with it.  I don't think I'll have the least bit of trouble shooting someone who deserves it, if it's to save a life.  I don't believe I'd have trouble sleeping afterwards, either.  I like animals a hell of a lot more than I like people.
View Quote

I still feel guilt over not putting my Boykin Spaniel down sooner- there was some question as to what he had.

Someone breaking into my home or assaulting me on the street? Meh. Their choice, their problem.

At least that's my take, could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I used to think that I wouldn't have an issue with it. Then I read some threads by members here who have used deadly force and it made me rethink my feelings on the subject. Don't get me wrong I will if I need to but I think it would affect me later
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they thought they primed and fired it but didn't, ya.

I'm not saying all, but I'm sure it happened.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I believe if you were forced to kill what amounts to an innocent person (human shield or similar) it could really mess with you. It would me, no matter how many times I told myself that I didn't have any other option.
View Quote

It depends.  There are lots of cultural considerations that go into it.

If in the course of saving my own life, or that of a loved one, I accidentally killed a cute, blonde, pig-tailed 7 year old, that would mess with me.

But accidentally killing innocent foreigners in foreign lands, who don't look like me, isn't that big a deal.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, the internet tough guys are here.

PTSD, what is it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I think I would react more to having to clean up the mess. I'm a huge blood and gore pansy.

Death doesn't affect me at all, it's natural and inevitable, and I'm often accused of being a heartless, cold robot man.  I'm not, I just don't see any purpose in crying over it, it can't be undone.

If I shot at my attacker, and killed an innocent bystander, particularly a kid - even if absolved I don;t think I'd handle that very well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

exactly,  this is why quality training is important,  know what the signs are so you can recognize them early on and realise that they are likely very short term..       LE and MIL have a built in 'support network' that will hopefully avert these things before they get started.   But everyone is wired different...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, I've been there. Be ready to have everybody around you point and say, that's the guy, he shot so and so, no matter whether it was right or not, you are never the same in their  opinion again. The only one who was there , still surviving, in my case , is me , and I know the truth and  I live with it
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#50]
"Otherwise law abiding"

??????

Self defense IS law abiding
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top