Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2001 9:55:54 PM EDT
Check out the much maligned M1 Carbine article in Guns magazine this month. Next to the AR15 I'd carry a M1 Carbine anyday. I think I'll dust mine off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Ken, where can I get a copy of Guns magazine?
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the May issue and i see no stinking M1 article. you must be talking about the April issue. Don't know where that one is. I would have to say the May one has a pretty good article on the Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read and heard a lot of reports about the M1 carbine that make it sound like a really bad weapon. Weak round, poor accuracy, etc. If you compare it to a Garand, the carbine is inferior in many ways. But they are two very different weapons designed for two very different roles.

I haven't read the article yet.  

I really like my carbine. It was the first rifle I ever purchased.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
This is June issue, just got it Mon.That address is [email protected] Alot of the bad rap it got was because GI's couldn't hit charging Chinese in full auto 'cause of the muzzle climb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
There was an article a few years back in American Rifleman about using the M1 Carbine in 300yd. highpower matches.  Essentially, it was a terrible experiment.  The band around the barrel makes it a very inaccurate weapon.  The woman using it improved her scores dramatically by switching to a stock SP1.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Operator,

Hey, me too.  My first rifle is an IBM M1 Carbine.  Haven't shot it in years.  I'd take it over not having a rifle for combat.  

Ken, when did our GIs fight the Chinese?  Were there actual Chinese soldiers in Korea?  Gosh, I am totally ignorant of this.

Troy, on the nose.  if you don't expect combat but just in case, the M1 was perfect.  Light enough (there goes the Garand - the only flaw IMO) to stand guard duty all day, or run errands in the back lines AND an average shooter can hit a man sized target at 100 yards.  Let's face it, the average shooter can NOT hit a man reliably at 100 yards with a military issue 1911.  A great tool for it's job.

James

Link Posted: 4/20/2001 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
jimmybcool;
Yes Korea was exactly what I was talking about. They sure surprised MacArthur,  imagine seeing thousands of Chinese headed for you. I might have trouble in FA too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 5:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a thread going over on AssaultWeb about the M1 Carbine.

Is the LeMag conversion to .45 WinMag still a doable project? One of those sure would rank up there on the COOL factor. Someone said KurtsKustom will do it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#10]
jimmybcool, the Chinese are what saved the North Koreans.  The North Koreans invaded the south and after early success, they got their butts whipped all the way to the Chinese border, then the Chicoms came in.  The rest is history.

I love my little 1944 manufactured Inland M1 Carbine.  It is a nice compliment to my WWII Garands.  I checked the dates.
Link Posted: 4/20/2001 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Larry and Ken,

Thanx for the history.  I knew the Chinese supplied equipment and such, but had no idea they actually sent troops head to head with ours.  Frankly, they missed out on the sure fire way to defeat any force they can actually reach by land.

Day 1 - Chinese surrender 1 million prisoners.
Day 2 - Chinese surrender 1 million prisoners.
Day 3 - Chinese surrender 1 million prisoners.
Day 4 - Chinese surrender 1 million prisoners.
Day 5 - Chinese surrender 1 million prisoners.
Day 6 - Chinese commanders threaten to continue this action unless opposing force surrenders.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top