Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 9:52:49 AM EDT
The house is solid but could use a few repairs.  How do I determine what's worth fixing and what is not?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Put yourself in the buyers shoes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The house is solid but could use a few repairs.  How do I determine what's worth fixing and what is not?
View Quote

Pretend you are buying the house for yourself and are looking for a place to plop in and start living.  You don't want a honey-do list.... and buyers do not either.  It's one thing if something is old, it's another thing when it needs immediate attention (not to mention, will get flagged by inspections).

Those are the things you fix.  The simplest fixes are sometimes the highest return on investment.  Small things also adds up quickly in terms of buyer appeal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
So far I plan to put a fresh coat of painton everything, clean the shit out of everything, clean-up the kitchen cabinets and replace the countertops.  I will also replace the flooring in the kitchen/dining room.

I have also replaced half the windows and was debating on finishing that.  I think that would be a huge plus and I could probably recoup the cost if I did it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
You can sell it as is for a lower price or spend time fixing it up to get a higher price.   Just because you spent x amount ot fix it up does not mean you will get it all back though.  Fixing it up will usually appeal to a broader market though.  

You try a peliminary and see what people say about your price and offer.  Someone might want to fix it up to thiere liking and the lower price works for them. Some will want it to be in new move in condition.  

Also, be prepared to be inundated with realtors wanting to sell your house for you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can sell it as is for a lower price or spend time fixing it up to get a higher price.   Just because you spent x amount ot fix it up does not mean you will get it all back though.  Fixing it up will usually appeal to a broader market though.  

You try a peliminary and see what people say about your price and offer.  Someone might want to fix it up to thiere liking and the lower price works for them. Some will want it to be in new move in condition.  

Also, be prepared to be inundated with realtors wanting to sell your house for you.
View Quote

I'm afraid of is that the kitchen is so out of date that if I don't at least do the flooring and countertops, even I use the cheapest materials I can, people won't see the potential and will pass it by.

The part in red is why I think I should go ahead and finish the windows.  Anyone that moved in would need to do them anyway and with half of them done I don't think they would decide to change the style of window at this point.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
since you are going to sell the house yourself,  i would just throw it out and see what the reaction is.  a realtor would not do this a it would be wasting his time.  Also, a lot of buyers, if you a re in a desirable area might just want the house to tear down and build another house or aprartments.   they are doing this a lot in my area
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Go online and find out what housing is selling per square foot in your neighborhood.  Declutter.  Clean up the yard.  Dry roll any walls needing it.  Spend a few days touching up everything.

Women go into a house and are distracted by what it wrong.  Men go into a house and tick off what they can fix themselves.

Don't use an agent.  If buyer has one, they have to pay him.  

Find a good title company.

I was a RE agent.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm afraid of is that the kitchen is so out of date that if I don't at least do the flooring and countertops, even I use the cheapest materials I can, people won't see the potential and will pass it by.

The part in red is why I think I should go ahead and finish the windows.  Anyone that moved in would need to do them anyway and with half of them done I don't think they would decide to change the style of window at this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clean up what you can.  If the kitchen is out of date, make sure it looks great.  Cleanliness and condition are second and third only to location.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Be aware that buyers will expect the price to reflect market value minus the amount you would normally pay for commission. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Be aware that buyers will expect the price to reflect market value minus the amount you would normally pay for commission. Good luck!
View Quote

My asking price will be lower than if I had an agent selling it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go online and find out what housing is selling per square foot in your neighborhood.  Declutter.  Clean up the yard.  Dry roll any walls needing it.  Spend a few days touching up everything.

Women go into a house and are distracted by what it wrong.  Men go into a house and tick off what they can fix themselves.

Don't use an agent.  If buyer has one, they have to pay him.  

Find a good title company.

I was a RE agent.
View Quote

I thought that was the buyers responsibilty?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top