Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll take when upfitters figure out battery isolators for $200.

Police cars are the most unreliable starting pieces of shit ever.

I learned many years ago working on heavy trucks that if it can be left on it will be left on so put it on an ignition activated relay or solenoid that turns it off when the ignition is off.

Police departments are opposed to this, and low bid upfitters refuse to do this, it doesn't take long for a camera system, a tracking system or two, two flashlight chargers, a laptop dock and harddrive, possibly a radio or two, random added interior lights, exterior lights, a cell phone or two, a radar gun, a GPS nav unit, and sometimes for no reason the ignition being left on with the engine off, to kill a battery, do it a handful of times and it won't hold a charge at all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know what the unit was ,most PV-1 s had a device to keep the the vehicle from being put into gear .
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Never unless you want a dead battery
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Never.  I need 12 hour AC standing by and ready.

I also always use my clicker.

cheers,

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't know what the unit was ,most PV-1 s had a device to keep the the vehicle from being put into gear .

View Quote

This would make the most sense.  

I understand why they leave them running, though.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's an aftermarket accessory. I think it's called Park - kill or something. I always shut the car off if I'm away from it unless a dire situation. I don't want to be "that guy" that loses the car. Tard I work with though leaves it running all the time, even when he's in the station for an hour, AND leaves the parking lights on to advertise it's free for the taking.

Protip: a pair of handcuffs securing the steering wheel to the spotlight grip assembly in just the right way makes for a nice impromptu steering wheel lock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Ignition interlock button. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#9]
reminds me of the opening scene of Mad Max.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
When will criminals stop stealing and touching shit that isn't theirs?  Why stop something that law abiding people do when you can rather punish and set an example out of the scumbags?

Besides, probably one of the worst cars to steal is a cop car... you will be found in minutes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:55:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the same thing for ambulance drivers
View Quote

I agree.  Lock the doors morons.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I am required to leave the key in the ignition at work depdning on where I go. Never had my truck stolen and nobody I know has either, but everyone around there is working which probably makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:10:27 AM EDT
[#14]
This is ARFCOM GD where if you suggest that you should close your garage door at night to avoid thefts, you will be scoffed at with such statements as "I shouldn't have to close my doors or lock them.  criminals shouldn't take what isn't theirs!!!"
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll take when upfitters figure out battery isolators for $200.

Police cars are the most unreliable starting pieces of shit ever.

I learned many years ago working on heavy trucks that if it can be left on it will be left on so put it on an ignition activated relay or solenoid that turns it off when the ignition is off.

Police departments are opposed to this, and low bid upfitters refuse to do this, it doesn't take long for a camera system, a tracking system or two, two flashlight chargers, a laptop dock and harddrive, possibly a radio or two, random added interior lights, exterior lights, a cell phone or two, a radar gun, a GPS nav unit, and sometimes for no reason the ignition being left on with the engine off, to kill a battery, do it a handful of times and it won't hold a charge at all.
View Quote

But I don't like cops and I want to complain about them
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is ARFCOM GD where if you suggest that you should close your garage door at night to avoid thefts, you will be scoffed at with such statements as "I shouldn't have to close my doors or lock them.  criminals shouldn't take what isn't theirs!!!"
View Quote

I worked extra duty last night at a theater.  I walked around the parking lot. Tons of purses and laptops on car seats everywhere. Thank god they got a window stopping crooks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#17]
The anti-theft devices on our patrol vehicles are named after a certain officer after something similar happened.

Always lock your door.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#18]
The cops in a nearby city started an awereness program earlier this year to help people remember to lock thier car. They stuck giant warnings under thier windshield wiper at the mall etc...that the car was unlocked. You know what's worse than an unlocked car. An unlocked car at a shopping area with a giant sticker on the windshield pointing out from several hundred yards away that the car is unlocked.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#19]
We always turned ours off.
If it didn't start when we got back we'd just have another car push us back to the precinct.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I always shut the car off if I'm away from it unless a dire situation.
View Quote
This. I never left the keys in the car.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the same thing for ambulance drivers

Our policy calls for someone to stay in sight of the vehicles on a call and the medic units have power locks that secure all of the doors and compartments.  They get used regularly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When will cops stop leaving their keys in the ignition
View Quote

As soon as they get rid of all the equipment like cameras, light bars, computers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#24]
How about an APU?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Cops should secure their shit.  

Hopefully the car will be in evidence until the trial, and that cop will just have to walk a beat in the meantime.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

As soon as they get rid of all the equipment like cameras, light bars, computers, etc.
View Quote

I had a light bar, a computer, and a plate camera system and I turned my car off all the time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#27]
When donut shops have drive thru windows?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cops should secure their shit.  

Hopefully the car will be in evidence until the trial, and that cop will just have to walk a beat in the meantime.
View Quote

That car is totaled.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I had a light bar, a computer, and a plate camera system and I turned my car off all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well you ARE from NYC and eleventy billion backup cars.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#30]
That's why you have two keys.

As for the APU,   You have  an admin that  wants you to re-use the seat cushions and window glass from wrecked cars. .  APU's are  not even in the same universe.

War story time.  There  have been more city buses stolen than cop or ambulance vehicles here.    Ever been in a (kinda sorta) pursuit with a city bus?  It's the most boring thing you have ever done.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Push button ignition start and keyfob that stays in the pocket.
Lock the door on the way out and come back to the nice A/C
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
War story time.  There  have been more city buses stolen than cop or ambulance vehicles here.    Ever been in a (kinda sorta) pursuit with a city bus?  It's the most boring thing you have ever done.
View Quote

They had a 16 year old take a suway train here. They didn't know he wasn't a motorman for hours. He only got caught because he tripped the emergency brakes taking a curve too fast. Keron Thomas
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#33]
So I got home from work one day, and there is a sheriffs deputy car in my driveway, door open and engine running.

The wife is at the door and says the officer is next door  about 75 yards away, talking to the neighbors about a stolen bike that our daughter and their daughter had seen, and they knew who stole it.

So since the door was open I took a inside. Nice 12 ga pump mounted in a quick release bracket up above the windshield.

Reckless Endangerment comes to mind.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I got home from work one day, and there is a sheriffs deputy car in my driveway, door open and engine running.

The wife is at the door and says the officer is next door  about 75 yards away, talking to the neighbors about a stolen bike that our daughter and their daughter had seen, and they knew who stole it.

So since the door was open I took a inside. Nice 12 ga pump mounted in a quick release bracket up above the windshield.

View Quote

Try and figure out the button combination for that quick release bracket.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They had a 16 year old take a suway train here. They didn't know he wasn't a motorman for hours. He only got caught because he tripped the emergency brakes taking a curve too fast. Keron Thomas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One  enterprising  homeless guy here was collecting fares and picking up passengers.    Then there is the guy that stole a  metro shuttle.  (think a little streetcar type of sort bus) and  was entertaining hookers in the back.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I guess a popo would never even consider that leaving a vehicle running, with the door open, around children, could be dangerous.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#37]
When I was on patrol, my car stayed on for the entire shift.  Just had my clicker.  Also had an extra door key in my pocket.  Never had any problems in 90,000 miles
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, I guess a popo would never even consider that leaving a vehicle running, with the door open, around children, could be dangerous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a law against that?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be more worried about the subway union than the cops if I was him.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I do because in some cars if you turn the car off your MDT goes down because the batteries are shot
That's what spare keys are for, so you can lock a door and leave the car running
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top