Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 1:49:05 PM EDT
Bought a bunch on sale today.

Any ideas other than the standard liver and onions?

Liver Haters, please go ahead and post your sissy ramblings here so the Apex predators that understand the nutritional value of organ meats can make fun of you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Catfish bait

I prefer beef tongue over liver but cook that baby up in some bacon grease and onions like god intended

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quick saute on med heat and feed to the dog.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Liver Jerky for the dogs
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Liver Haters, please go ahead and post your sissy ramblings here so the Apex predators that understand the nutritional value of organ meets can make fun of you.
View Quote

There is nutritional value in just meeting an organ, huh? I'll introduce myself to everything next time I'm in the meat department.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Use as bait in live trap for feral cats.  Or old people.  Old people like liver.  Tastes like Great Depression.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Yummy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This, the liver and kidneys are what filters toxins from the body, and they taste nasty too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Walla Walla sweet onions, cook in bacon grease...Mmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There is nutritional value in just meeting an organ, huh? I'll introduce myself to everything next time I'm in the meat department.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liver Haters, please go ahead and post your sissy ramblings here so the Apex predators that understand the nutritional value of organ meets can make fun of you.

Good catch, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Walla Walla sweet onions, cook in bacon grease...Mmmmmmmmmmm
View Quote

This right here.
In for ideas, though.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Sautee some nice fresh mushrooms along with the onions.

Moose liver is my favourite.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This, the liver and kidneys are what filters toxins from the body, and they taste nasty too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad it isn't Goose liver. I think chicken liver tastes better than beef. But in the end livers are a good source of iron and all cook up good. Look into a patte recipe and make a sandwich.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Liver Haters, please go ahead and post your sissy ramblings here so the Apex predators that understand the nutritional value of organ meats can make fun of you.
View Quote

I like it in stuffing. Chicken liver is usually used but I like beef too.

Liver and onions is standard for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sautee some nice fresh mushrooms along with the onions.

Moose liver is my favourite.

View Quote

Never had moose liver, deer liver is my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Catfish bait

I prefer beef tongue over liver but cook that baby up in some bacon grease and onions like god intended

View Quote

Hell yes! Love some liver and onions!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Just had some liver and onions with gravy the other night!

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

... this, that and the other thing
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Had liver and onions last night for dinner.

Saute onions on medium heat. When onions are translucent, turn up heat to medium high, add some butter and put liver in pan for 1:00 to 1:30 minutes per side (depending on thickness).

Enjoy organ goodness.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Organ meat=
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#20]
You're making me want to go back to the grocery store.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
You PAID for beef liver?
Even if they gave it to you free of charge, you paid too much.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Soak those suckers in some milk before you cook them up.  I used to hate liver when I was a kid, I tried it as an adult for the first time a couple of years back at a German restaurant and I loved it.  I've even been keeping my eyes open for some liverwurst since then too.  Hated it as a kid, but might enjoy it now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you put raw liver on the floor, next to a fresh dog turd and stepped on them both bare foot you could not tell the difference ! ! ! ( ok the dog turd might be warmer )  

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Organ meat=
View Quote

When a pack of predators take down an animal the strongest get dibs and they go for the organ meat since it is a nutritional powerhouse.

You lack of taste for those pieces of the animal means that you come from a long line predators that had to eat last.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  I like the taste of liver and onions.  But you may as well mix in a little more toxic substance such as meds, etc.  The excrement of the liver goes to the bowel for disposal.  Do not eat bowel contents.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When a pack of predators take down an animal the strongest get dibs and they go for the organ meat since it is a nutritional powerhouse.

You lack of taste for those pieces of the animal means that you come from a long line predators that had to eat last.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Organ meat=

Actually they went after it because it was softer and easier to access.

Your lack of taste for the real meat of the animal means you come from a long line of lazy predators who did not want to do the work needed to get at the meat.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Your lack of taste for the real meat of the animal means you come from a long line of lazy predators who did not want to do the work needed to get at the meat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Organ meat=

When you find proof of this get back to me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I know all about the nutritional powerhouse of organ meats, but still can't make myself eat them.  I tried beef liver, once.  Wasn't great.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Liverwurst or Braunschweiger.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Breed and grow as many planarians as possible.

Profit?

http://www.planarians.org/
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd rather buy a jar of vitamins and skip the organ meats.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Liverwurst or dog food.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sure your dog will love it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#34]
When I was young and poor and had to feed myself,, I could buy a pound of beef liver and a big yellow onion for a dollar, so I ate a lot of it, but not much since then - same with baloney sandwiches.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I love beef liver. Here's what I do:

Put foil on grill, leave a little space open on one end for later.
Sautee onions in butter and a little bit of garilc on the foil.
Right before onions are done, lay the livers on top of the onions, cook them til they are almost done.
Finish the livers on the grates over the coals, put a little char on them.

I have made this for people who claim to hate liver, and they love it. Grilling it changes the texture of the meat, the livers are a little firmer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#36]
MMMMM, it was delicious.

So I tried the "soaking it in milk" thing and it did seem to mellow the flavor some.

S&P

Then I put a little olive oil in the pan and some Vidalia onions.

Just as the onions where getting translucent I added a bit of garlic and the liver.

I forgot to buy lemons so I didn't have any lemon juice, but I know it's good to add a little acid to it and I've been on an Asian kick lately so I added a bit of rice wine vinegar and some soy sauce.

It was so good.

The sweetness of the onions and garlic mixed with the rice vinegar and soy sauce and made a sweet flavor kinda like a mild korean BBQ rib flavor.

Yum.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I like it with bacon, mushrooms and onions.  My Mom used to make it all the time when I was growing up.  Haven't had it in years, though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#38]

leberknödelsuppe

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Grass fed or none for me, preferably millet fed though I have never had it.

Chicken livers, free range only thanks.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Liver? LIVER??

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Catfish bait

View Quote

First thing I thought of too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When I was young and poor and had to feed myself,, I could buy a pound of beef liver and a big yellow onion for a dollar, so I ate a lot of it, but not much since then - same with baloney sandwiches.
View Quote

I remember those dinners as a kid.  I'm not sure how poor we were, I  always assumed we were.  As I got older I realized we were just very conservative with what we had.   Later in life I concluded that there's a difference in how it tastes.  If that's all you can afford  it's not so good.  If you chose it so you can save the money over something else, it tastes better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Organ meat=
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Organ meat=

You are missing out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top