Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/10/2014 8:19:51 AM EDT
ETA 3: Because it's important - First do you like or hate them? second what is your biggest COMPLAINT about them

and further - what would you say is your biggest complaint about them (whether you like or hate them)

I'm curious, don't think i've seen this polled here before.

Poll inbound

ETA: MaverickH1 can't read. Poll is about your biggest COMPLAINT about bullpups, whether you like them or not.

ETA 2: I realize that CoG is a PLUS for bullpups - I met somebody a few days ago who thought a CG close to your body was stupid. so it's on the poll as a negative, and im stunned, and thinking a lot of you can't read.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the Steyr Aug was way ahead of it's time, with a built in optic and folding forward grip.  It deserves a lot of credit.

I have a hard time getting excited about other more recent Bullpup offerings, in particular the FN2000.  That was a real oddball gun.   Though I like the idea of a longer barrel aiding in .223 ballistics.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never held one so having said that, I don't I would like it.
They look off balance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I really want one, though they aren't lefty-friendly without mods, or an FS2000. A left-handed AUG in the classic A1 configuration is what I really like.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate them, they look ugly, I don't do ugly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to like them. I have a G22 I got for plinking (I know POS I got when they first appeared, but it is a fun plinker) and had a OOB slam fire with a stinger. scared the shit out of me, was like being punched in the jaw, safety glasses went flying off face was full of powder, and that was just a damn rimfire.

after that, I don't know.. little bit too much pressure little bit too close to the face. I think the FS2000 looks like crap, but I held one and want to see how it actually shoots. I like the forward ejection concept.

if there was a SP90 in 9mm I would own it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have never fired a bullpup but having a small explosion that close to my face scares me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Try negotiating a hallway and a door with one.
You'll never go back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]

The Steyr AUG is -- to me, a perfect urban assault rifle. Its VERY compact with the 16" barrel. Its utterly reliable in all conditions. Nearly indestructible both in regard to possible impact as well as weather resistant. The magazines are, by all accounts the best designed in the history of combat rifles and -- once again, nearly indestructible.

I've shot literally just about every modern assault rifle made; all HK, Fal's, AR's, Kalashnikovs, SVD's and main battle rifles; and to me there is no easier rifle to hit out to 300 yards with than an AUG. The reticle is perfect for fast target acquisition and its good all the way out to 300 yards.

Handling: Perfect for urban situations. You can move in and out of tight places, vehicles and hallways with a shouldered AUG. You can shoulder it with one hand all day long and still use your other hand to open doors; try that with a Fal.

Cleaning is a breeze! Disassembles into its basic parts for cleaning in a heartbeat.

Trigger is the ONLY thing folks can complain about. But this is usually from the fudds who think bench shooting a rifle is the "true" measure of a combat rifle. But when the shit hits the fan in urban combat;  a crisp "glass rod" trigger break will be the farthest thing from your mind.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Shot an aug first time a  couple weeks ago. The wind was still and the gasses choked me
out.
Still want one though
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have never fired a bullpup but having a small explosion that close to my face scares me.
View Quote

One issue I have.

The other issue is trigger.  They have inherently long, shitty trigger pulls.  

Full disclosure.  I have never fired one.   A Travor is on my list, but there are a lot of guns ahead of it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an FS2000.

Your shooting profile with that thing is far smaller than it would be with any other gun.

Perfect gun for home defense.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot wrong-handed, so the ejection is a showstopper for me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Hate them...incompatibility with body armor.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't hate them I just prefer a std AR15 over them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One issue I have.

Full disclosure.  I have never fired one.   A Travor is on my list, but there are a lot of guns ahead of it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One issue I have.

To be honest the triggers are not too bad.  The tavor in my opinion is worse than my AUGs but it still isn't too bad, just a little heavy.  My AUG A1 has a sweet trigger, most likely because of the 10K+ rounds I have put through her.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have an FS2000.

Your shooting profile with that thing is far smaller than it would be with any other gun.

Perfect gun for home defense.
View Quote

yup, a 16" AUG is the same length as a 10.5" AR that you have to get a tax stamp for

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Steyr AUG is -- to me, a perfect urban assault rifle. Its VERY compact with the 16" barrel. Its utterly reliable in all conditions. Nearly indestructible both in regard to possible impact as well as weather resistant. The magazines are, by all accounts the best designed in the history of combat rifles and -- once again, nearly indestructible.

I've shot literally just about every modern assault rifle made; all HK, Fal's, AR's, Kalashnikovs, SVD's and main battle rifles; and to me there is no easier rifle to hit out to 300 yards with than an AUG. The reticle is perfect for fast target acquisition and its good all the way out to 300 yards.

Handling: Perfect for urban situations. You can move in and out of tight places, vehicles and hallways with a shouldered AUG. You can shoulder it with one hand all day long and still use your other hand to open doors; try that with a Fal.

Cleaning is a breeze! Disassembles into its basic parts for cleaning in a heartbeat.

Trigger is the ONLY thing folks can complain about. But this is usually from the fudds who think bench shooting a rifle is the "true" measure of a combat rifle. But when the shit hits the fan in urban combat;  a crisp "glass rod" trigger break will be the farthest thing from your mind.

No.

You fail.

With your lack of ability to articulate an viable argument -- its not hard to understand
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had an AUG. The donut reticle sucks.
Shoot it weak/support side from behind a barrier. Enjoy. Major flaw for the "perfect urban assault rifle", not to mention mag changes.
There is a reason are many reasons nobody uses AUGs in 3gun, and neither do DEVGRU, SOCOM, or any special unit in the world that has leeway in choosing equipment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Shot a Tavor yesterday. They get very hot very fast during after just a few mags of rapid fire. Blows hot gas in your face. Trigger is shitty as to be expected. The compactness was nice but not for those trade offs. They are too expensive @ $1700 bone stock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Your poll is slanted.  The biggest thing to like about them is their compact size.  You should have made it possible to select multiple poll options.

An HK53 is about 1 inch longer than a Steyr AUG.  Yet the HK53 has an 8.5" barrel and the AUG is a 16" barrel.  Full .223/5.56 performance out of gun the size of an MP5.  That's a huge advantage.

The trigger isn't great.  But it's workable.  The center of gravity is awesome.  I wish it was more easily ambidextrous, but there are methods to be able to shoot it left handed if I need to.  Magazine changes are easier than on an HK53 or an AK.

When I bought my first bullpup, it was on the night that Obama first got elected.  I was in college, I had no idea where I'd end up living.  I decided that if I ended up with a house in the middle of the city, the best home defense weapon I could have would be an AUG.  If I ended up in the country, the AUG would still be workable out to 200 yards or so.  I can shoot an AR15 better than an AUG at longer distances, but I'm much quicker with an AUG at closer distances.

Now that I've gotten used to the AUG's size and I'm out in the woods playing around with it on my wooded/thick brush shooting range, the added length of an AR or an AK is a real PITA.  The AUG is also a LOT easier to throw on your back and do some serious hiking.  I've fallen in love with the bullpup and happily accept its faults as fair compromises over the competing designs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your poll is slanted.  The biggest thing to like about them is their compact size.  You should have made it possible to select multiple poll options.

An HK53 is about 1 inch longer than a Steyr AUG.  Yet the HK53 has an 8.5" barrel and the AUG is a 16" barrel.  Full .223/5.56 performance out of gun the size of an MP5.  That's a huge advantage.

The trigger isn't great.  But it's workable.  The center of gravity is awesome.  I wish it was more easily ambidextrous, but there are methods to be able to shoot it left handed if I need to.  Magazine changes are easier than on an HK53 or an AK.

When I bought my first bullpup, it was on the night that Obama first got elected.  I was in college, I had no idea where I'd end up living.  I decided that if I ended up with a house in the middle of the city, the best home defense weapon I could have would be an AUG.  If I ended up in the country, the AUG would still be workable out to 200 yards or so.  I can shoot an AR15 better than an AUG at longer distances, but I'm much quicker with an AUG at closer distances.

Now that I've gotten used to the AUG's size and I'm out in the woods playing around with it on my wooded/thick brush shooting range, the added length of an AR or an AK is a real PITA.  The AUG is also a LOT easier to throw on your back and do some serious hiking.  I've fallen in love with the bullpup and happily accept its faults as fair compromises over the competing designs.
View Quote

you didnt read the poll question. it was one sentence.

do you like them or not, and what is your biggest COMPLAINT.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I like em.   It just takes me 600 years to change the magazine on all the ones I've messed around with.  Granted if I owned one I would probably learn how to speed that process up.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I  am getting one last carbine and am conflicted over the compact Tavor for a short  5.56 & 9x19 or the Sig 5,56XI for 5.56 & 7.62x39. Right now, the Tavor is favored.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Hate due to non-ambiguous extraction.

I have to shoot rifles left-handed.  The few bullpups I've fired throw hot brass in my face.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hate them...incompatibility with body armor.
View Quote

i guess not everyone has gotten that message

its funny how you rarely hear that complaint about the M16A4 or other fixed stock rifles

Thales is working on an AUG with a shorter length of pull though

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have to shoot rifles left-handed.  The few bullpups I've fired throw hot brass in my face.
View Quote

You should get an FS2000 or PS90 then.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 'Tactical Tuna' throws the brass forward, which is nice for folks like me who don't like using their mouth as a brass catcher.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, it was another poll that was a different question than the damn thread title.

Quoted:

-Thread Title-  Bullpups, do you like them or hate them?

-Body of Thread-

and further - what would you say is your biggest complaint about them (whether you like or hate them)

Poll inbound

ETA: MaverickH1 can't read. Poll is about your biggest COMPLAINT about bullpups, whether you like them or not.

ETA 2: I realize that CoG is a PLUS for bullpups - I met somebody a few days ago who thought a CG close to your body was stupid. so it's on the poll as a negative, and im stunned, and thinking a lot of you can't read.

I bet most people have answered your poll incorrectly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

they are certainly more common and affordable. I intended this poll as purely from a design standpoint - what could be improved the most.

turns out it's really a reading comprehension test, unless everyone hates bullpup center of gravity

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, it was another poll that was a different question than the damn thread title.

Quoted:

-Thread Title-  Bullpups, do you like them or hate them?

-Body of Thread-

Poll inbound

How is it a different question? it's a 2 part question and I couldn't fit both in the thread title.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I like my AUG.  It's fun.  But it's not an AR
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#34]
if I gave them any thought I would probably hate them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How is it a different question? it's a 2 part question and I couldn't fit both in the thread title.
View Quote

Do you think most peoples' biggest complaint is the nearly perfect center of gravity over the strong hand?

Because that's what the poll is showing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you think most peoples' biggest complaint is the nearly perfect center of gravity over the strong hand?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#37]
off for a few hours.  when I return I expect to be surprised with news that overwhelmingly, the center of gravity is the biggest complaint on a bullpup rifle
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:01:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I shoot wrong-handed, so the ejection is a showstopper for me.
View Quote

FS2000 has a front ejection port, so right or left handed doesn't matter because the brass comes out the other end of the gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://global3.memecdn.com/reading-is-for-faggots_fb_57250.jpg

Look at your poll.  If people are actually answering the question you've posed deep into your first post, people are saying the like them.... and the biggest complaint is that they don't like the center of gravity.

Do you think that's accurate?  Or do you think your stupidly worded poll has confused people into answering incorrectly?

ETA:  LOL, and now you've edited it at least twice to try to fix your clusterfuck of a broken poll.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I like some, did not like my KSGs very much (quality issues) and I sort of liked my FS2000 but it was just too damn strange. I have a PS90 that I like everything about except for the ammo cost and I would like to have an Aug.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I love the balance and how it is as short as an SBR, with no stamp.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Look at your poll.  If people are actually answering the question you've posed deep into your first post, people are saying the like them.... and the biggest complaint is that they don't like the center of gravity.

Do you think that's accurate?  Or do you think your stupidly worded poll has confused people into answering incorrectly?

ETA:  LOL, and now you've edited it at least twice to try to fix your clusterfuck of a broken poll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll admit that i didn't 'tard-proof my poll.

The real data here is that nobody here actually read the fucking question.

how would you word it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#43]
What the hell is wrong with your poll? Damn.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What the hell is wrong with your poll? Damn.
View Quote

nothing - people can't read.

I guess you have to stick to simpler polling options to get actual results
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Absolutely love my Tavor. Only complaint, albeit a minor one at best, is the ejection port is close to your head/cheek....

Ironically, never cared for them until I actually handled/fired a friend's Tavor. Went out the next day and snagged one....
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I love the Keltec RFB, and also the Tavor.

My reasoning?.....longer barrel inside of a tighter package....and good weight distribution. Main drawbacks are obviously the trigger pull and the magazine location, but both of those drawbacks can be corrected with training and trigger modifications.

I voted pie.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

how would you word it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

how would you word it?

If you wanted to keep your poll wording the same, I probably would have had the thread title be:

"Whether you like or hate the bullpup design, what is the biggest complaint you have about it?"

But this is kind of a bad question because not all bullpups are designed the same way.  So it's a very generic question.  It'd be like me asking "for those that like 7.62x39 rifles, what's your biggest complaint about them?"  If someone's biggest complaint about them is the side port ejection not being ambi-friendly, then what would they say about the P90?  The F2000?  Etc, etc.  Each design is slightly different.

I think you might need to nuke the thread and start over.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you wanted to keep your poll wording the same, I probably would have had the thread title be:

"Whether you like or hate the bullpup design, what is the biggest complaint you have about it?"

But this is kind of a bad question because not all bullpups are designed the same way.  So it's a very generic question.  It'd be like me asking "for those that like 7.62x39 rifles, what's your biggest complaint about them?"

I think you might need to nuke the thread and start over.  
View Quote

maybe. I think people understand now, i'll just call the first 27 CoG votes "didn't read"

regarding design differences, that doesnt bother me. if everyone hates the non ambi ejection - you'd then know to refer those people to the F2000.

if their complaint is mag location, you may want to come up with a new design.

if their complaint is the universally bad trigger, you may want to figure out a better trigger...

if their biggest complaint is the perfect center of gravity, you might want to give them some literacy tests.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm in the process of saving up for a Steyr AUG.

However, I've never handled one. But there is alot of feedback about them, good and bad. There are always trade offs, so bullpups have strengths and weaknesses.

IMO, the M16/M4 is still the best combat rifle that exists. However, I understand that Bullpups are VERY fast at transitioning between targets.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Never tried one I don't have a problem with them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top