Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2014 8:26:24 AM EDT
As the title says, lookin for some things to take the family to do while on vacation.  We're here for the next week, and have already seen/done a lot of the main tourist attractions in previous trips.  Any suggestions would be apprecciated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Folsom Street Fair
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Alcatraz.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Muir Woods, USS Hornet, Exploratorium.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Legion of Honor is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Winchester Mystery House!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Adopt an illegal baby
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#7]
From San Jose, drive over 17 (heck of a fun drive) to Santa Cruz (where The Lost Boys was filmed), spend the day there on the beach and at the boardwalk.

If you can drive a little further south from there, go to Monterey and visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Pier 39

Clam chowder in a bread bowl for the win.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From San Jose, drive over 17 (heck of a fun drive) to Santa Cruz (where The Lost Boys was filmed), spend the day there on the beach and at the boardwalk.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/06/be/51/santa-cruz-boardwalk.jpg

If you can drive a little further south from there, go to Monterey and visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

http://www.blooloop.com/pt/uploads/image/kelp%20forest%20oceans%20edge%20monterye%20bay%20aquarium%20800.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/16/21873238_b890db38ca_z.jpg?zz=1

View Quote

This is the correct answer. Santa Cruz is a fun place.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Now I'm starting to miss it. Monterey is my favorite place in the whole world.

Damn thread.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to the Tenderloin area in your 'skinny jeans'

All my thoughts have already been said
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/06/be/51/santa-cruz-boardwalk.jpg

http://www.blooloop.com/pt/uploads/image/kelp%20forest%20oceans%20edge%20monterye%20bay%20aquarium%20800.jpg

Leave early in the morning. Beach traffic on 17 can get really bad. Both ways.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

On a motorcycle, rush hour is the best time.

When I lived in San Jose I used to ride 17 over to Santa Cruz and back during rush hour a few times a week just for the fun of it. I loved it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pier 39

Clam chowder in a bread bowl for the win.
View Quote

Same bakery (Boudin), but it's cheaper on Geary and 14th Ave.  Clamhouse on Bayshore Blvd. is better.  Only locals go there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I lived in San Jose I used to ride 17 over to Santa Cruz and back during rush hour a few times a week just for the fun of it. I loved it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You lane-splitter, you...

Highway 9 is a fun ride if you aren't in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Folsom Street Fair
View Quote

Hope he likes sausage.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I've never been one to engage in lane-splitting. We all manage the risks as we see fit when we ride and that's something I choose not to do.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#19]
except for stopping at SFO on a through flight, I haven't been off airport property since the 90's....but these were some of the go-to places to take
out of town friends and visitors...

Exploratorium, Alcatraz, Pier 39, Nike Missile site and the old coastal battery's on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge (lots of shots in many movies from over the years have been filmed here)

China Town and the Garment district, if those are your things

I was stationed at Treasure Island for a bit.. there is a nice view of San Fran from there... don't know what kind of access there is now, with TI closed and the bridge work that is/has been going on.

Monterrey is nice, if you can do the drive, as well as Santa Cruz.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Go for a walk in downtown Oakland
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

With Denver Bronco's gear on as well
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hope he likes sausage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Folsom Street Fair

Hope he likes sausage.

Definitely not a family event (unless you're into the ghey leather scene).

Stay north of Market Street.  South of Market is OK if you stay between 2nd and 4th Street. That's the area of Yerba Buena (Good Herbs) Garden.  SF Convention Center is there, Museum of Modern Art, Jewish Museum, Cartoon Museum, Calif. Historical Society are in that area.

Lombard Street.  2nd crookedest street in the world.  Most crooked one is on Portero Hill and that's a combat zone.  

Golden Gate Bridge with Fort Point beneath it.  Buy your tickets to Alcatraz now.  They sell out early.  

Good eateries:  Tomasso's.  Best pizzeria in town.  On Kearney between Broadway and Pacific Ave.  Oak fired oven.
Firenze by Night.  On Stockton between Vallejo & Green.  5 star Italian restaurant.  Reasonable price.
Liguria Bakery.  Get there before noon.  Best foccacia bread.  Buy two pieces, pay extra for it to be sliced.  Walk up Telegraph Hill and eat it up there.  Enjoy the view of the Bay.  Bring water.  
Go to the Cable Car Barn.  See the cables that pull the cars.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you trying get the OP killed?

btw, San Jose has had a rash of homicides in the last week.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Amoeba Records at Haight and Stanton in San Francisco, right at the end of Golden Gate Park.

Largest collection of new and used CDs, DVDs, and vinyl in the Bay Area.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Alcatraz.
View Quote

Last time I was there it was a 2 week wait to get a tour.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Winchester Mystery House!
View Quote

This was a great time. When we where in the basement the young girl who was a guide was looking very uneasy  I was staring into a 10x10 foot stand alone room  in the center. I trying to make out  what was in there. It was dark

I heard her telling others how  a ghost of a workman who died on the job or was killed had been seen in this part of the basement. She asked me what I was looking at and I said why the guy working in there didn't have a light . He could get hurt.

She got a look on her face and we finished up the tour of the basement real quick. I was told by another guide she had met up with the ghost when she went to turn out the one light that didn't have a remote switch. She refuses to do it by herself anymore.

In any case did the palms out front die? One of the chain Mexican restaurant's brought in palms and they got a disease and where dying. They where well over 100 years old. I hope they saved them.

California State route 1   stop in Carmel at least and go over the bridge

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Alcatraz.

Seriously!?

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Family is with you. Hmmm...
Winchester House in San Jose.

Take the drive up to the observatories on Mt. Hamilton.

Lawrence Hall of Science at UC-Berkley.  Check out the wind organ if its still there.

Hakone Gardens in Saratoga

Fisherman's Wharf and the water front in SF in General. There is the Balclutha down there, also a sub and a Liberty ship to see. If you start at Pier 39 and go West all the way to Fort Point you can pretty much spend a whole day seeing things. Alcatraz is worth money and time if you can get out there.

Walk out on the Golden Gate Bridge

Marin Headlands, Fort Baker, etc.

Chinatown in SF is okay

Monterey Bay Aquarium. We used to have a membership to it when we still lived in the Sunnyvale/Mt. View. Instead of waiting in line for hours to get in you just walk over to the member's entrance and walk right in.

Big Basin State Park. Lots of Redwoods to see. Actually better than Muir Woods.

Hwy 1 from SF to Santa Cruz.

Rosacrucian Museum in San Jose

Alice's Restaurant

Of course, Napa-Sonoma. Beringer's, V. Sattui (especially if you like Cabs!)

San Gregorio Beach

Golden Gate park. Lots of museums, the Japanese Garden, zoo, etc.

Ano Nuevo - DO NOT fuck with the elephant seals. They are amazing quick for their size. (Not that I have personal experience in the matter. )

I was stationed at Moffett Field from 1974 until 1988. Left the Bay Area in 1993. The list goes on but this is probably more than you can do in a week.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Mt. Hamilton for the observatory tour - 40 minute drive

Hiking the old growth redwoods at Big Basin - 50 minute drive

Drive to Carmel and visit Clint Eastwoods bar the Hogsbreath for a drink 1.5 hours

Continue 20 minutes south to Monterey for an ultimate sea food experience. Keep in mind money spent at the aquarium is used to lobby closing off fishing grounds from the fishermen.

Drive north to half moon bay and walk with the hoard of elephant seals on the beach.

As for the Santa Cruz recommendation if you go there for the boardwalk, make a detour and go to the Mavericks watching zone. It really puts in perspective what those guys are swimming in. I wouldn't even swim in that in full scuba gear. Also you can rent canoes and kayaks right in the boat launch parking lot. If you like calamari the main restaurant has a very delicious snack.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#30]
If you like Aviation and helicopter's check out the Hiller Air Museum off the 101 between SJ and SF! Really cool one of a kind stuff in there.

Take a drive up the (1) PCH from Half Moon Bay to SF.

If you have kids hit the SF zoo where Golden Gate Park hits the beach.

Take a ferry ride from Pier 41 to Jack London Sq. And back (daylight hours recommended) on the Alameda Oakland ferry. Last time I went the opposite direction it was like $12 round trip.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I've always wanted to go to the Mezze Mechanique(sp?) it's on Fisherman's Wharf.  

I have a friend of the family that has family in Portola Valley, I'd like to make it out to the Bay someday, I have only been thru SFO on a plane change.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#32]
When is the Paul McCartney concert at Candlestick

Last event ever before they tear the 'Stick down.  Fitting as the site of the last Beatles concert

ETA: Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk --  wear a jacket

McCartney is 8/14
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Get your shit pushed in.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Family is with you. Hmmm...

Winchester House in San Jose.
Take the drive up to the observatories on Mt. Hamilton.
Lawrence Hall of Science at UC-Berkley.  Check out the wind organ if its still there.
Hakone Gardens in Saratoga
Fisherman's Wharf and the water front in SF in General. There is the Balclutha down there, also a sub and a Liberty ship to see. If you start at Pier 39 and go West all the way to Fort Point you can pretty much spend a whole day seeing things. Alcatraz is worth money and time if you can get out there.
Walk out on the Golden Gate Bridge
Marin Headlands, Fort Baker, etc.
Chinatown in SF is okay
Monterey Bay Aquarium. We used to have a membership to it when we still lived in the Sunnyvale/Mt. View. Instead of waiting in line for hours to get in you just walk over to the member's entrance and walk right in.

Big Basin State Park. Lots of Redwoods to see. Actually better than Muir Woods.
Hwy 1 from SF to Santa Cruz.
Rosacrucian Museum in San Jose
Alice's Restaurant
Of course, Napa-Sonoma. Beringer's, V. Sattui (especially if you like Cabs!)
San Gregorio Beach
Golden Gate park. Lots of museums, the Japanese Garden, zoo, etc.
Ano Nuevo - DO NOT fuck with the elephant seals. They are amazing quick for their size. (Not that I have personal experience in the matter. )

I was stationed at Moffett Field from 1974 until 1988. Left the Bay Area in 1993. The list goes on but this is probably more than you can do in a week.

View Quote

The Rosicrucian museum is really cool (Egyptian stuff for those too lazy to click a link).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top