Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2014 2:59:23 AM EDT
Absolutely breathtaking book - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forty_Days_of_Musa_Dagh   Turks were still demanding in 2009 (successfully) that no movie be produced about this or anything to do with the Armenia genocide.
In early 2009, reports surfaced that actor Mel Gibson was also considering in directing a documentary and appearing in the adaptation of Werfel's novel but was dissuaded after receiving 3,000 e-mails sent by a Turkish pressure group
View Quote

The Forty Days of Musa Dagh (Die vierzig Tage des Musa Dagh) is a 1933 novel by Austrian-Bohemian writer Franz Werfel based on true events that took place in 1915, during the second year of World War I and at the beginning of the Armenian Genocide. The novel focuses on the self-defense by a small community of Armenians living in a mountainous region of Hatay Province in the Ottoman Empire—now part of present-day southern Turkey on the Mediterranean coast—as well the events in Istanbul and provincial capitals, where the Young Turk government orchestrated the deportations, concentration camps, and massacres of the empire's Armenian citizens. This policy, as well as who bore responsibility for it, has been controversial and contested since 1915. Because of this, or perhaps in spite of it, the facts and scope of the Armenian Genocide were little known until Werfel’s novel, which entailed voluminous research and is generally accepted as based on historical events
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Was not familiar with this, thanks for posting it.

Some groups of people are just incompatible with this planet.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found myself saying history repeats itself a lot lately.  Man just does the same shit over and over again.  Technology may change and advance...people don't.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
One of history's hush-hush events.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was not familiar with this, thanks for posting it.

Some groups of people are just incompatible with this planet.  
View Quote

Welcome - again, its a fascinating story of survival.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I understand why Turkey is a U.S. strategic ally but I have a huge dislike for the Turks for there bullshit revisionist history.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
They should not bow to these "pressure groups" and just make the damn film.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#8]
One of my best buds from the Army was Armeneian, he fucking HATED Turks.

That lead to some interesting times in Germany.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top