Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2014 7:48:19 PM EDT
I'll preface by saying that I have and have always hated leg day. Was feeling great today, gym schedule landed on legs. Stretched legs/back really well first, no running. C4 pre workout and Amino Energy for intraworkout supplement. Smoked squats/calf raises and then moved over to leg presses. Gradually worked up from 375 to my usual 810. I still felt awesome and that I had more in my, so threw on 900 and then my last set of 990 (not sure what the sled weighs).

Third rep, my left bicep popped and went limp. Luckily I halfway kept my composure (I instantly knew what happened somehow) and was able to finish the rep and close the safety bar.  It was really painful and my arm was useless. The gym worker is a girl, so I had to unload all the plates with one arm and then got to my car. Called insurance, apparently I have an accidental insurance perk that covers 100% if seen by an ER within 72hours. Went directly there. 5 1/2 hour wait! Anyway, the ER doc gave me a script for a pain killer, muscle relaxant, and sling. Said to go to my Ortho doc (just saw him this week) if it still hurts on Monday. It looks like someone took a golfball sized chunk of meat out of my precious biceps that I have been working so hard to get!

Anyway, have any of you torn your bicep, and if so what do I have to expect?

TL:DR-tore bicep at gym, long ER wait, doc said wait and if worse go to Ortho.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
X-ray, then MRI. Hurts like a bitch. Long recovery time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Go to the orthopedist ASAP.

Experience with past patients is that generally they don't re-attach just a long head rupture.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Planning on going to Ortho this coming week. He was wanting to MRI my shoulder (same arm) anyway. He did a repair years ago and its starting to give me some problems.

I figured such. I had the feeling that telling me monday was just to get me out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Tore mine years ago.  Hurt like hell and without surgery it took a long time to heal.  That arm is quite a bit weaker and fatigues easily.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but I lift weights really gradually in small increments.  I tore my biceps and saw bruising from the tears after doing heaviest curls I had ever done.  They looked like 4 symmetrical bruises about the size of a quarter, 2 linearly on each bicep.  I just laid off curls for a month.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a biceps tenodesis that was very successful.

I had severe biceps tendonitis for many years so my surgeon cut my biceps tendon and reattached the tendon to an anchor placed in my humerous, rather than the shoulder joint, as is normal.   This was done at the same time as a rotator cuff repair.

There was lots of swelling and discoloration initially.  It was like new after six months.

I had a very good surgeon and I told him that the anchor had to be strong.  He made a small open incision and installed a larger anchor rather that use the more common arthroscopic method.

If you tore your biceps tendon badly, you may need something similar.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Tore mine 4 years ago, relatively painless accident, surgery, therapy and recovery.  Have a really bitchin scar to prove it, turns out that chicks really do not dig scars.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, ruptured my lower biceps tendon. Heard a pop and that was that. Had surgery a week later and 6 months physical therapy to learn to use my arm again. Physical therapy was quite painful.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I tore my bicep and tendon 1 year ago this month. The VA is just now getting around to helping me with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, Fabio (yeah, that Fabio) has a fucked up bicep from trying to catch a falling motorcycle.

Shit sounds painful.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Dunno what it is about biceps, but they sure are easy to tear.

Mine was pretty minor, I just couldn't straighten my arms for a week.  After that, I worked back into things SLOWLY, and never had any more trouble.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine tore his.  He was working delivering appliances.  He lifted something heavy, his bicep tenses up, when he went to pick up the empty appliance box he extended his arm out and the bicep popped right off.  This was probably close to 10 years ago, he's still unable to use his arm for much of anything.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, was 53 when my right bicep snapped.  Had a knot of bicep role up on my arm.  I went to the doc.  Pretty much all he did was make sure I could still use it - that I was functional.  Was expecting a referral to an orthopedic practitioner.  On my way home I was puzzled - what . . . it ain't going to get fixed?  Started investigating on the interwebz.  Apparently his evaluation is typical.  Unless you have some specific issue making the arm useless (like both leads of the bicep detach), or having a "normal" arm is somehow required, they don't touch it.  If repaired the recovery time is long and slow.  At my age there was no reason to consider repair.  I have to be careful what I do with it because it will hurt right at the spot where the one lead of the bicep detached and balled up.  I have to be careful how I lift with it.  A motion typical of a curl hurts if much weight is involved.  The motion like that of using a wrench can cause pain,  As someone else noted that arm is not as strong and it fatigues quicker than it should.  I'm living with it.  If it's only one side of the bicep and you're young enough maybe insurance will consider letting you get it repaired, but you will be a long, long time getting back to where you were before the event.  If it's both leads of the bicep, I'm guessing you'd have no choice (nor would your insurance) but to get it repaired.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
You're deficient in one or more of something, bet on it.

In order of probabillity.

Magnesium, Vitamin D, Zinc, Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium. Vitamin C

These all rely on each other to do their respective jobs where it regards connective tissue repair as well as other things you are probably getting enough of. You also cannot take them at the same time because some share the same receptor site and will block the absorbtion of another.

Look into it.

Tendon issues can also be caused by Quinines, like tonic water and the Quinolone antibiotics such as Ciprofloxacin (Cipro).

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I entered an arm wrestling contest in an Oke bar in San Francisco. Now I can't extend my right bicep.  Do you know why? Get to the semi-final, celebrating my third wife Demise, big Chinese fella, he pulled me right over! Ha!

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmm not great news from you guys....

Ive been working out since I was 9, now 26. I have had both shoulders repaired, mostly due to competitive olympic/junior olympic weightlifting for years during and shortly after puberty. Other than that, this is really my first injury due to weightlifting. I did a a 2 month creatine regimen but ended in May, and I'm surprised that it didn't happen during this.

I really hate to have this setback. I'll be going to my orthopedic doctor as soon as I can. It feels better and not much bruising today so maybe its not too bad. I was just bragging about how one of the supplements made me feel like a lithium battery at the gym, as I was able to kill it until my last rep instead of getting sore 3/4 of the way through.

Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I entered an arm wrestling contest in an Oke bar in San Francisco. Now I can't extend my right bicep.  Do you know why? Get to the semi-final, celebrating my third wife Demise, big Chinese fella, he pulled me right over! Ha!

View Quote

Last summer I did the same thing in Missouri. I won $1,000 and one of my friends won quite a bit more. I beat a guy that looked like the sasquatch....Fortunately I have short arms and dated a former arm wresting state champion's daughter during high school. It's one of my skills in life.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Tore mine two years ago, didnt have surgery and it took about 6 months to feel "better". Just recently have I gotten back to full form after two years, I can finally lift heavy again without pain.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#20]
This is one of the many reasons I stopped lifting heavy at age 30.  I do low weight, high reps. My best bench was 485 and around that time my shoulders hurt like a mother fucker.  I then started going light and decided I'd rather play it safe with light weight than be in pain all the fucking time.  I have 20" arms btw so I guess the light weight works.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Was loading a piece of drywall into my truck-the wrong way. I had enough strength left in my arm to lower the drywall back down. After that I could not even pull my wallet out of my pocket. This was in February, healing has been slow arm gets fatigued quickly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#22]
this wasnt me but exactly how I ripped mine.  same exact alternate grip, same hand in, same hand out, same rip, I actually completed the lift as well, same SPRONG that you see (and I also felt and heard, soumnded like a huge sprint/rubber band going SPRONG), and same confused look and massaging of the arm.  not sure of his weight but I think mine was 425.  only diffeence is his was a single lift and I think I was trying for the 3rd rep. oddly enough,  I felt zero pain until after surgery. (no Im not some bad ass, it actually just didnt hurt at all)

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I have heard of guys tearing them on the deadlift, but how do you tear one on the leg press?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I tore mine in June... Lifting a couch into a truck. Ugh.

The quicker you get to an ortho the better.  In my case it ended up being a 95% tear. I had it repaired with an endo button a week later. Left surgery in a sling and bandaged, and they nerve blocked the arm (which is a blessing for the first day).  I was at work two days later (although uncomfortable as hell).  This Monday I should be cleared to start strength excercises again, the last many weeks I've only been allowed to stretch it.

I'm just happy I didn't have to go through the months of brace use like they used to require.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Was it a tear or a rupture? I ruptured mine 14 months ago. Had it reattached and then ruptured it again 5 months ago. From surgery to maximum medical improvement is around 6 months. The scar is usually hidden in the crease at the elbow.

I doubt my bicep will ever look normal again.

They told me the older you get plays a part. Smoking/diet plays a part. Lifting something and having the arm pulled straight plays a part. Who knows....I am 49.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll preface by saying that I have and have always hated leg day. Was feeling great today, gym schedule landed on legs. Stretched legs/back really well first, no running. C4 pre workout and Amino Energy for intraworkout supplement. Smoked squats/calf raises and then moved over to leg presses. Gradually worked up from 375 to my usual 810. I still felt awesome and that I had more in my, so threw on 900 and then my last set of 990 (not sure what the sled weighs).

Third rep, my left bicep popped and went limp. Luckily I halfway kept my composure (I instantly knew what happened somehow) and was able to finish the rep and close the safety bar.  It was really painful and my arm was useless. The gym worker is a girl, so I had to unload all the plates with one arm and then got to my car. Called insurance, apparently I have an accidental insurance perk that covers 100% if seen by an ER within 72hours. Went directly there. 5 1/2 hour wait! Anyway, the ER doc gave me a script for a pain killer, muscle relaxant, and sling. Said to go to my Ortho doc (just saw him this week) if it still hurts on Monday. It looks like someone took a golfball sized chunk of meat out of my precious biceps that I have been working so hard to get!

Anyway, have any of you torn your bicep, and if so what do I have to expect?

TL:DR-tore bicep at gym, long ER wait, doc said wait and if worse go to Ortho.
View Quote

You trying to imitate Quentin Thomas?

LC
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
this wasnt me but exactly how I ripped mine.  same exact alternate grip, same hand in, same hand out, same rip, I actually completed the lift as well, same SPRONG that you see (and I also felt and heard, soumnded like a huge sprint/rubber band going SPRONG), and same confused look and massaging of the arm.  not sure of his weight but I think mine was 425.  only diffeence is his was a single lift and I think I was trying for the 3rd rep. oddly enough,  I felt zero pain until after surgery. (no Im not some bad ass, it actually just didnt hurt at all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq82nYPUeo

View Quote

That was not good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have heard of guys tearing them on the deadlift, but how do you tear one on the leg press?
View Quote

Wondering the same
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Tore mine 2-3 years back playing flag football with a bunch of cub scouts-seriously.  100 lbd kid tore it as I tried to clothesline blick him running opposite directions (high closing speed,  arm outstretched).

Also felt and heard a "SNAP"!.  took some ibuprofen and kept playing albight cradling my arm in pain....

Surgury snd 6 months recovery before it felt normal again.  Back to 1O0% in 9 months.  I tend not to lift as heavy anymore and rarely do arm curls.  I concentrate more on my back and shoulders nowdays snd that works my arms enough.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Done it. Sucked hard. ER doc had no idea what he was talking about. Said it was just a strain. I tore mine where the tendon connects to the forearm. I had done a bodybuilding show 24hrs prior. I was not properly re-hydrated and tore it while sparing with a buddy. My surgery went smooth and I made a full recovery within 6 months. Unfortunately I did end up with some ossification around the bone, and my ROM when twisting my forearm is about 95%. It requires another surgery to correct (they have to go in and chisel away the excess bone growth) but that's more recovery time so I'm just dealing with it.

I took some pics during the recovery proccess.

Day Prior:

Day Of:

11 Days Post Op:

6 Weeks Post Op:

12 Weeks Post Op:

25 Weeks Post Op: Back to 100%

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I did when I dislocated my shoulder 12 years ago. Apparently severed a bicep and shattered some bone, but didn't find out about those pats of the injuries until I had it fixed in surgery last year.

It's painful, and if you have to have it repaired, recovery will also be long and painful.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#32]
The leg press thing is what I was surprised about as well. I guess i was just bracing myself and almost pulling up against myself on the handles below my hips. I will admit that I've been somewhat overtraining my arms lately....its beach season! haha.

Anyway, the guy said it was a tear not rupture. He also only looked at it for 45 seconds and didn't shoot a film. He did say, however, that since it was static and with no hanging weight that I have a better chance of not needing surgery.

Th0r, I'm glad to hear that you are back to almost 100%. That gives me a little hope. My shoulder repair surgeries left me with 55-60% ROM in my shoulders.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The quicker you get to an ortho the better.  In my case it ended up being a 95% tear. I had it repaired with an endo button a week later. Left surgery in a sling and bandaged, and they nerve blocked the arm (which is a blessing for the first day).  I was at work two days later (although uncomfortable as hell).  This Monday I should be cleared to start strength excercises again, the last many weeks I've only been allowed to stretch it.

I'm just happy I didn't have to go through the months of brace use like they used to require.
View Quote

I tore my distal bicep a few weeks ago. "popped clean off the bone" to quote the doc.
surgey is scheduled for next week. drill the forearm bone, reattach with a "button".

doc says 10 days in a cast, 2 months in a brace, and about a month of physical therapy and ill be 90%. does that sound right? I dont think I can sustain a 6 month recovery time financially as a carpenter/contractor.

consultation was $300
mri was $800
surgery is costing me $3200
those are the cash/self pay costs

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I have both a slap tear and rotator cuff damage from a fender bender.. I go in for surgery here in a few months(recovering from a cervical fusion right now), The Slap tear consist of tearing the main biceps tendon loose from its connection in the shoulder joint. on mine they will remove the tendon and attach it to the humourus, then go in and repair the cuff damage.Surgeon says to expect a sling for at least 12 weeks, then months of PT ,figures at 6-9 months I should be good for light duty use..its a long painful road from everything I have seen....
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#35]
100% lower biceps tendon rupture in right arm while rotating tires on my truck. Pretty darn painful. Had surgery 30 days later which happens to be the longest you can wait before tendon shrivels up and can no longer be reattached. Had one of the best ortho surgeons in the state do the work. Insurance paid all of it. Recovery time was about 6 months. Right arm is still stronger than my left so I'd call it a 100% recovery but it will get sore if I overwork it.

Know a couple people that didn't bother with surgery for whatever reason, no insurance or waited too long. They're stuck with a weak arm and a Popeye looking bicep. If it happens to you get it repaired asap at whatever cost.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I tore my distal bicep a few weeks ago. "popped clean off the bone" to quote the doc.
surgey is scheduled for next week. drill the forearm bone, reattach with a "button".

doc says 10 days in a cast, 2 months in a brace, and about a month of physical therapy and ill be 90%. does that sound right? I dont think I can sustain a 6 month recovery time financially as a carpenter/contractor.

consultation was $300
mri was $800

View Quote

If it's the same procedure I had, cast and brace aren't necessary. You do have to be careful and it's tough not using it for damn near anything more than lifting a coffee cup for a couple weeks. Your doc is likely playing it safe. Mine said 'If you do something that causes pain. stop.' He also told me to google some distal bicep endo button recovery studies.

My surgery was on 6/13 (Friday). I'm just under 2 months, and besides a slight irritation around the incision site, and a numb spot mid way up my forearm, I'd say I'm doing well. No range of motion loss currently, but that took slight work (a benefit of not being casted). The six month timeline is to 100%, but you'll be using it as soon as therapy starts.

Luckily, I'm out under $200 so far, with half of that going to post op prescriptions and a couple therapy sessions. I've missed about 3 days in total hours from appointments, but I've got a desk job. BTW typing with my non dominant hand was in NO WAY fun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

consultation was $300
mri was $800

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

consultation was $300
mri was $800

Yes this is correct. You should end up somewhere around 90-100% of previous strength. Mine was also a complete rupture, clean off the bone. Keep lots of ice on it after surgery to keep swelling down. I was loaded up on pain pills but didn't ice it much so it swelled up inside the cast and hurt like hell. It will be 5-6 months... no getting around that and even after you're done with PT you will need to take it easy on that arm for another few months. You'll be able to pick up a skill saw and swing a hammer but when it feels sore its time to back off. When mine gets overworked it gets sore, swells a bit, hurts, and can take two weeks to recover. So take it easy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Planning on going to Ortho this coming week. He was wanting to MRI my shoulder (same arm) anyway. He did a repair years ago and its starting to give me some problems.

I figured such. I had the feeling that telling me monday was just to get me out.
View Quote

Hey, maybe he'll do a two for one special.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Bicep, rotator cuff, removing some bone chips and a cyst in right shoulder on Thursday coming up
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 HelveticaNeue;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red153\green153\blue153;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2
}

OP, you,re f'ed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top