Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/8/2014 9:41:42 AM EDT
My new Focus is one of those flex fuel vehicles that can take regular gas and E-85. I've not used E-85 yet. It's running about 60 cents a gallon less than regular gas here.

Does it adversely affect your mileage?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. I'll take the 89 Octane Ethanol free gas.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
ONLY Non Ethanol here
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Ethanol free premium all the way in my Mini
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like it'd be ideal to top off a flex fuel rental car before you turn it in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope, environmentally offensive when you take into account how it is produced.  Not to mention it reduces mileage.  Environmental snake oil for which the government subsidizes.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
You'll spend more than you save... The energy density of ethanol is shit compared to unadulterated gas, so you burn more to get the same thing you were getting before.

That's why we all hate the ethanol tainted gas shit that GWB shoved down our throats for his corn farmer buddies.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The gas mileage sucks. I havent done the math but its probably not worth it
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]
It's almost impossible to find in this area.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
If there were stations around me that had it, I'd swap over my EVO to run on it.  More POWER!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I used it a couple times.  It is not worth it.  It is much cheaper but much less efficient.  The MPG is much lower where the price is essentially a wash and with gas you dont have to run your truck at a higher rpm the entire time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]
If and when I can find ethanol free gas that's not in a marina away from where I can pull my truck up to, I use it.

Otherwise I use whatever shit they're selling at the gas stations along the route I drive between home and work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I did one time on my tahoe.  Went from getting 22mpg on regular gas to 13mpg with e85.  I will not run it again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I did the math.  It is essentially the same price and you have more wear and tear on your car with the E85 since you have to run it at a higher RPM
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
don't have a car that can use it

wouldn't use it if I had one (the cost differential isn't enough to make up for the shit mileage).
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used it a couple times.  It is not worth it.  It is much cheaper but much less efficient.  The MPG is much lower where the price is essentially a wash and with gas you dont have to run your truck at a higher rpm the entire time.
View Quote

Around here E85 is 20% cheaper but your fuel mileage is reduced by at least 25%.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies. It's very available here. But I won't bother since your mileage goes to pot.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Around here E85 is 20% cheaper but your fuel mileage is reduced by at least 25%.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been 2-3 yrs since i used it.  I guess it now more expensive to use than gas.  And it puts extra wear on your pickup.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Nope.  No incentive to use it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#19]
It's at nearly every pump in my area. I wish I could throw a Molotov cocktail into every ethanol plant and burn them to the ground.

I refuse to use it based on principle, it's worse MPG, and harder on components (unless the machine is specially designed for it).
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nope, environmentally offensive when you take into account how it is produced.  Not to mention it reduces mileage.  Environmental snake oil for which the government subsidizes.  
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]
The only guys I know that use it run it in their race cars.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If there were stations around me that had it, I'd swap over my EVO to run on it.  More POWER!!!!
View Quote
only if tuned for it

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

only if tuned for it  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

only if tuned for it  

that would be part of the swap over.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I do not use it.
But those of you who are thinking about it, I want to encourage you to do so.
The price of corn is down some and I need a new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
newer F-150s get more HP and TQ when you run them on it. Your Focus might be the same.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I use it all the time, in the race car!

DSMs love e85
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Current price point has no advantage for me. We finally have some available here so I tried it and my mileage went from 17 down to 13 so the math just doesn't work.

I hope it stays available here as I have a 55 Chevy project that would benefit from it.

ETA - don't trust the computer readout mileage, check it the old fashioned way. The readout of the computer never changed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I have an f150 and there's a station about 20 miles from me.  I decided to run 4 tanks just for shits and giggles and see if there was a difference.  I got significantly worse mileage (14 vs ~17.5 -18) and didn't really feel the increased power (not that there is that much).  Granted it's a small tractor and the combined trailer + tractor load is only about 5500lbs, but I couldn't tell a difference.  And towing mileage was about 10-15% less than regular.

Factor in the crap mileage and the cost of the gas and it was a total wash for me. Might have been slightly more expensive and the increased power was negligible at best.  I don't bother with it really.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#29]
As far as I understand you will need to burn 30% more volume for the same HP, but that being said... it does have a octaine rating of around 108.. so if you own a upgraded turbo car.. the days of buying C16 at 9 bucks a gal are over!!!

you can run this in your turbo cars and we do.. and it is like adding a stroker crank in the gas tank.. that 30% addl. fuel translates to more exhaust gas volume and POW the turbo lights off like a rocket.. it cools the cyl. too making even more HP..

its the hot setup right now for us turbo folks..

stock car: waste of money
wicked up turbo car: OHHH YEAHHHH!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As far as I understand you will need to burn 30% more volume for the same HP, but that being said... it does have a octaine rating of around 108.. so if you own a upgraded turbo car.. the days of buying C16 at 9 bucks a gal are over!!!

you can run this in your turbo cars and we do.. and it is like adding a stroker crank in the gas tank.. that 30% addl. fuel translates to more exhaust gas volume and POW the turbo lights off like a rocket.. it cools the cyl. too making even more HP..

View Quote

The odd thing is the WRX isn't available in a flexfuel option, it could really use that high octane equivalency.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The odd thing is the WRX isn't available in a flexfuel option, it could really use that high octane equivalency.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

it's all aftermarket to get them to run on E85.   That and most of the stock internals won't hold up to the power.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

we usually run a ProEfi with a flexfuel sensor for a street car.. race cars get a Motec.. the ProEfi is awesome, robust and affordable too
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ethanol free premium all the way in my Mini
View Quote

Same for my RX7 It thanks me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm addicted to E85.

My car puts out a good amount more power with an E85 tune and it leaves tons of headroom/safety for tuning.

I run 19lbs of boost, 15 degrees of timing and an almost 14 to 1 AFR at WOT.
Cars good for 450whp and 500wtq with an E85 tune and a few cheap bolt ons.

E85 brings tons of octane, way cooler burning esp with DI and more oxygen in the fuel itself.

I kinda feel sorry for the  guys stuck in the forever ago hating on E85 for whatever their political or others reasons are.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I did the math.  It is essentially the same price and you have more wear and tear on your car with the E85 since you have to run it at a higher RPM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! What in the world are you talking about? You're clueless and should not spread mistruth.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#36]
There is one gas station here that sells E FREE fuel, no reason to use E85.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I did one time on my tahoe.  Went from getting 22mpg on regular gas to 13mpg with e85.  I will not run it again.
View Quote
alcohol has less energy than gasoline?!  shocker!

E85 is only worth it if A) you have a race car and B) if the price of E85 is less than 2/3 the price of gasoline.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#38]
The problem with e85 is flex fuel vehicles. If manufactures would make e85 only cars and redesigned the engines you would see much less mpg differences. It is true ethanol is 30% less energy than gasoline but ethanol carries more oxygen per molecule so you can actually make more horsepower just by a fuel and tune change.

If one were to couple that with a very high compression engine that would take advantage of e85's octane, power output would go up a lot.  More efficiency=more power.

Edit: also, check out engines and fuel systems of cars that only run e85, they are super clean! Carbon buildup is non existent.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow.. you freak'n guys are making me want to go get a turbo car... the wife is not pleased
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

It costs a heck of a lot more energy wise than gasoline.
http://www.energytrendsinsider.com/2006/04/08/energy-balance-for-ethanol-better-than-for-gasoline/

If environmentalists were in charge, they'd destroy the world a lot faster.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I seldom get E85 but, my tank is 50% E85 and 50% regular (E-15) gas atm.

I suppose I am running E50 atm.

It does adversly affect mileage (by about 20%)

It also seems to make somewhat more power.

ETA: 2007 F150 5.4L FX4
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I seldom get E85 but, my tank is 50% E85 and 50% regular (E-15) gas atm.

I suppose I am running E50 atm.

It does adversly affect mileage (by about 20%)

It also seems to make somewhat more power.
View Quote

I would test your E85 content first, not all E85 at the pump us true E85.

After you get that, punch that info into a E85 calculator to get your true E and octane content.

E85 calculator

I mix 10 gallons of true E85 to 5 gallons of 92 pump gas and I end up with E60 and 101 octane.
I get all giddy at the thought of running basically race fuel for less then the price of regular pump gas.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

My new Focus is one of those flex fuel vehicles that can take regular gas and E-85. I've not used E-85 yet. It's running about 60 cents a gallon less than regular gas here.

Does it adversely affect your mileage?

View Quote
My Expedition can use it. I recently tanked up with it at 2.79/gallon and saw an immediate decrease of mileage by about 3.5 MPG. It hardly mad a financial difference when reg gas was 3.11/gal at the same station. NO real loss of power but definite mileage drop.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

it's all aftermarket to get them to run on E85.   That and most of the stock internals won't hold up to the power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Can't speak for the WRX stock internals but with direct injection coming out in most cars you should start seeing people being able to run E85 tunes without any fuel system upgrades.
I only have to install an inline walbro 255 to run an E85 tune to keep the DI HPFP happy, the pump and hardware is like $150-$200 and thankfully BMW gives you access to the fuel tank just by pulling out the back seat.

LOL when I think about it though it's kinda crazy, I run 3 fuel pumps total to run E85 though my DI FI setup.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I only buy 91 Octane or above Ethanol Free Gas
Use it in all my small engines, and my F150.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Can't speak for the WRX stock internals but with direct injection coming out in most cars you should start seeing people being able to run E85 tunes without any fuel system upgrades.

I only have to install an inline walbro 255 to run an E85 tune to keep the DI HPFP happy, the pump and hardware is like $150-$200 and thankfully BMW gives you access to the fuel tank just by pulling out the back seat.

LOL when I think about it though it's kinda crazy, I run 3 fuel pumps total to run E85 though my DI FI setup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

typically on the evo, you need a dual walbro setup and larger injectors.  and tune of course

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's almost impossible to find in this area.
View Quote

Maybe pure-gas.org will find one for you.

I go a little out of my way and spend a little more to avoid ethanol.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

typically on the evo, you need a dual walbro setup and larger injectors.  and tune of course

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Tunes a given, but when the STI goes DI at most it will need a 255 walbro to supplement factory fuel system.
These DI injectors flow WELL over 1000cc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#49]
its cheaper but the mpg suffers a little. I used it when i had a co truck for 2wks that used it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Moar timing.

Moar boost.

Moar power.

If not for those reasons, I wouldn't consider it.

The DSM isn't ready for it yet though.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top